• This topic has 14 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 years ago by bfw.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to stop your bike being stolen
  • stwhannah

Wondering how to stop your bike being stolen? There’s no guaranteed way. But there are lots of things you can do to make it less likely. Sadly we’ve e …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

How to stop your bike being stolen

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

you forgot stop showing off your bikes on facebook / youtube / instagram

charliedontsurf

I would add that riding old single speed clunkers helps too. No one wants them. But the best plan is to ride a fixed wheel mountainbike… almost no one will bother nicking it, and if they do, they wont get far… you will find them on the ground at the first corner.

slowmover

When you buy something online remember that the seller will have your home address and will be able to target you if they can link some other evidence like what you have bought from others. When you buy something online make sure that it is a real person. I bought from a profile that was a year old 100feedback but had bought 30 items and sold only two including the item I bought.

robertajobb

Take the skewers out when you have the bike somewhere where more likely to be knicked (eg outside cafe – even if locked. At least the wheels fall off if some scum does cut the lock.

robertajobb

Ohh.. and anyone else noticed the new view of the site using an Android device is shiiiite ? Half the screen lost behind the grey banner and text boxes disappear behind it.. like whilst typing now

stwhannah

@robertajobb since I’m on fruit based stuff, I haven’t, but I’ve passed your comment on!

pmurden

You know what? I’d never thought about having my tools nearby (how dumb am I?). Thank you for the tip.

oldnpastit

I thought this was going to be a jokey light-hearted article about getting out and riding your bike more. Still a good article despite that.

Woo

A friend with an expensive bike taped over the manufacturer’s marking so it disguised the bike. When out and about I like to park next to more expensive bikes in the hope robbers will prefer to go after them.

FB-ATB

My dad told me to leave my bike in its highest gear when parking up.

ktache
    Free Member

Lock your bike up next to something better. If that’s not possible make it the best locked up bike there.
    Leave it filthy, occasionally scrape off the worst of it, you don’t want to be shifting extra kilos, and of course, a spotless drivetrain, but filth and even dust covers logos and hopefully makes your pride and joy less desirable for the scrotes. Shiny and new looking is not the way to go.
    Leave extra locks at work, or the really big one. You will forget your normal lock occasionally.
    I have spent far too much on HexLox to hopefully protect my bits.

neilv
    Free Member

Two road bikes and two mountain bikes taken from a locked garage a few years ago. Luckily the insurance paid up (thank you Hiscox). Our bikes are now chanined to groud anchors and the garage is on the house alarm….

gregf1970
    Free Member

When popping into the cafe or shop fasten your helmet straps through the wheel this way an opportunist thief will only get one turn of the wheel away before having to stop and un clip the helmet , hopefully you or someone has noticed by this time .

bfw

Love the fixie comment 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to stop your bike being stolen’ is closed to new replies.