Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How to stop SPDs icing up in snow?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Enjoyed riding in the snow today except my SPDs kept clogging with ice and I couldn’t clip back in. Any way of dealing with this (apart from bunnyhopping snowdrifts and gates to avoid getting off the bike)?

parkesie
    Free Member

I find good spray of gt85 stops them icing for a good while but eventually its just stamp in and out a few times.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

dont ride in snow?…

nuke

Doubt there’s anything you can do pre-ride that would stop it. Had similar riding experience today…I just stamped the pedal a couple of times before clipping in which seem to clear the cleat and pedal enough

Simon

Ditch the SPDs and switch to Time.

P20

I use times, but put the flats on for riding in the snow

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Flat pedals and wellies

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I always cover them in wd40 or something.
    Doubt it makes much difference, but it’s the thought that counts.

eyerideit
    Free Member

GT85 should work or you could try silicone spray.

igm

Simon is right. The answer is to find some Times.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

silicone spray. or wee. at regular intervals

sharkattack

Has anyone tried a nice coating of vaseline? I might give it a try tomorrow. It works fine in my imagination.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just poke it out with a stick – I went out for a few hours and had to do this once or twice. I really dont see it as a problem, takes a min to do mid ride, only if you unclip of course. Had I not fallen off in the woods several times I would not have needed to do it.

So dont unclip !

chrispo
    Free Member

wee. at regular intervals

Aim and frostbite might have been an issue in the Arctic gale I was riding in…

asterix
    Free Member

Just stay clipped in from. The start

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallets or candies

simondbarnes

Take a lighter with you and you can melt the ice if it properly clogs up 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Mallets or candies

just hope the body doesn’t fall of the spindle.

You could try a thin layer of grease, vaseline or similar. Maybe heat some grease gently and brush on to get a nice thin film.

giantx4
    Free Member

THE FLAMER WINS IT!!

zerocool

Ride flats for the weekend

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallets or candies

Never had that on 8 sets of them. The newer versions are better too.
    (6 of the 8 still in use) perfect in snow, mud and everything else.

bigyinn
    Free Member

No problems this evening with my spd’s this evening. A good clatter soon shifts most of the compacted snow.

ransos
    Free Member

Solved the problem by not stopping or falling off.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Times

cookeaa

Has anyone tried a nice coating of vaseline? I might give it a try tomorrow. It works fine in my imagination.

Good suggestion for pedals, but just how does your imagination get clogged with snow, better yet how do you apply vaseline to it?

duirdh
    Free Member

Don’t unclip?

SPDs sound like an equipment upgrade towering above your level of skill

ppolski
    Free Member

Eggbeaters. Excellent in icy conditions. No build up, unlike spds.

Del

Mallets or candies
    Never had that on 8 sets of them. The newer versions are better too.
    (6 of the 8 still in use) perfect in snow, mud and everything else.

then just hope you don’t break a spindle in half either.. 😉
    ss candys FWIW. put a hole in the side of my formerly waterproof and fairly new shimano boot, too. 😕

z1ppy

Times are very good but are still defeated by compacted ice on a freezing ride, hugely better than old style shimano SPD’s, can’t see the new ones being that much better but no experience to be fair. If you can get a good pair of eggbeaters (rare as hens teeth) they work even better, as the frozen ice can be pushed through the cage, at least thats my interpretation of why a m8’s pedals work better than mine (in the snow & when there not in bits)

Robz
    Free Member

Kick/stamp/flick the pedal hard.

cp

Just stamp shoes against pedal a few times and all the ice drops off. Never had a problem with it…

JoeG
    Free Member

Spray non-stick cooking spray on the cleat and pedal.

Militant_biker

Can of de-icer, lock sized, is small enough to carry around. Not exactly environmentally friendly, but works a treat. A pre-spray of cleats and pedals before setting off works well too.

globalti
    Free Member

Dig out those old bear traps for snow rides, that’s what I do.

langylad
    Free Member

Went around Gisburn on tuesday and my friend’s front mech froze. I offered to have a wee on it but he declined. Would work just as well for spd’s. 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Don’t clip out so often!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Should have read this before I went out. Just had 2 hours of fun in the snow but nightmare trying to keep the spd’s fee. As others said, don’t put your foot down but easier said that done at the moment! I gave up after an hours or so and was thankful that I am riding trails spd’s at the moment. I have been struggling to get in with in normal conditions but today they were a blessing!

andyl
    Free Member

Just been out and had this very problem. Tried a stick and spraying my camelback water on them and then just resorted to stamping on them but did think wish I had some vodka in my camelbak (or water bottle if you want to stay sober) to give them a quirt with would be handy.

chrispo
    Free Member

– Tried GT40, lovely and smooth to begin with but soon didn’t work
    – Tried clipping out less often and being less unskilled at bunnyhopping gates and fallen trees but failed miserably, presumably due to being soft and not going out on a unicycle
    – Tried stamping and kicking a lot (and I mean a lot) and it worked for a while
    – Having a screwdriver or other pokey thing in a readily accessible front pocket worked best for me

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not usually a flats rider but if i do ride again like yesterday,

11 miles in 3 hours. I’ll be on flats and waterproof hiking boots.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How to stop SPDs icing up in snow?’ is closed to new replies.