Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • how to stop cats pooping in my garden…
  • CaptainSlow

Gonzy – Please post results on the sonic deterrent I’d be interested in the results.

As posted on the same subject different thread yesterday I use some cat repellant and also pee in the garden every couple of days in pre-determined spots to “mark my turf” grrrrrrrr

Also look at lavender and some of the other plants (some lilies) that are said to be off putting to a squatting cat. I’ve seen great results especially with the added grr in the above 🙂

scott_mbk
    Free Member

sonic repellers work….unless the cat next door is deaf as in our case!

Worth a shout – we got some plants (cheap like 1.99 each) from our local dobbies garden centre last year – HARMLESS BUT THEY WORK, CATS HATE THEM. They have quite a potent scent but only if you’re close to them.

I can’t remember the name for sure but I’m sure if you ask someone there who looks like they remotely know something about plants they can probably tell you the name of them. I think they might have been Coleus Canina – goes by the common name “scaredy cat plant”.

This probably ranks up there with the most useless post in the world ever! but there’s my two penny’s worth!

twoniner
    Free Member

The people next door to us have started putting full bottles of water laying on their sides in the veg patch. I was a bit confused why they had them there but by all accounts cat’s dont like their own reflection. I’ve been told it works because they have stopped dumping there.

I’ve got a cat, Ian. He’s a propper serial killer. Always bringing home mice, rats and birds, proud of him! The other day he managed to get a seagull, massive thing. He had an extra pouch that day 😆

gonzy
    Free Member

captainslow – i’ll let you know how i get on with the sonic repellent once its up and running…

i noticed my neighbours on the other side always leave a bottle of water in the middle of their garden…never quite realised why until i read twoniner’s post…i’ll give that a try when i get home….

shibboleth….its a tempting thought…but i got to catch the little critters first though!! anyway i got the b/b gun out yesterday much to the wife bemusement…laser sight works perfectly so those cats better watch out…. 😛

PJM1974
    Free Member

Easy. Get a cat of your own. Sorted.

gonzy
    Free Member

Easy. Get a cat of your own. Sorted.

i’d love to get a cat of my own….we used to have loads at homw when i was growing up….the wife though is absolutely petrified of animals so its not an option… 🙁

user-removed
    Free Member

I’d have to agree about cats preferring freshly dug soil. We have a lurcher so cats give the garden a very wide berth. Apart from once a year when the beds are dug over and the y all start sneaking back in. One or two close encounters with Kasper and they stay away again.

Gonzy, please don’t consider shooting someone’s pet cat – that is a shitty thing to do. I assume you’re trollingbut it’s pointless trolling your own thread.

gonzy
    Free Member

that is a shitty thing to do

so is taking a dump in my garden for my kids to find!!…maybe they should teach their cats to use a litter tray!!

i’m only going to fire a few warning shots nearby…but to be honest i doubt this will ever happen as they only come around in the middle of the night…

D0NK

Anyway, in all fairness, my initial post was partly tongue in cheek

text only communication innit? Difficult to tell but you did seem genuine, anyway I didn’t exactly flame you for it.

Increasing the amount of cat shit around just to keep it off your lawn still seems silly tho. Thought cat faeces was like dog’s, ie pretty nasty stuff in it, but unlike dog owners cat owners seem to be immune from responsibility. Never heard of someone being fined for their cat crapping in public but happy to be proved wrong.

dan1980
    Free Member

The animals act implies that cats have a “right to roam” as they are not covered under other regulations forcing owners of other animals (e.g. dogs) and lifestock to keep there animals under control, and are generally less likely to cause injury or damage to property. The fact that the animals act does not cover cats also means that they cannot, in law, trespass, and as such the owner cannot be legally responsible for what the cat does outside of their property.

The “right to roam” is also supported by the Animal welfare act which states that the welfare needs of the animals in your care are met, and one of which includes the need to exhibit normal behavior patterns.

The environmental protection act considers too may cats being kept in a property a nuisance or hazard, but doesn’t consider fouling an issue unless it is “significant”

Cats are protected by the Protection of animals act and it’s illegal to harm, infuriate or terrify them, as well as administer poison, or injurious substances. Also as cats are considered property, taking one from its owner is considered theft.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Cats are protected by the Protection of animals act and it’s illegal to harm, infuriate or terrify them, as well as administer poison, or injurious substances. Also as cats are considered property, taking one from its owner is considered theft.

Would shaving a cat infuriate it? Is permanent marker poisonous??

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I have tried the ultrasonic scarers and they can work very well, depending on the individual animal of course.
    This seemed to keep most of the crap away most of the time until they managed to slip under the radar & I had to move the repellers round the garden a bit.
    The gravel drive was tricky to cover as they would walk under the cars undetected & curl out their turds next to the drivers door GRRRR!!
    Now both the neighbours cats are dead the problem has happily subsided.

dan1980
    Free Member

Would shaving a cat infuriate it?

At the very least it would be criminal damage, alongside animal cruelty.

Is permanent marker poisonous?

Depends on the solvent and dye makeup of the marker.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

At the very least it would be criminal damage, alongside animal cruelty.

So why is it perfectly legal to allow an apex predator to roam completely free to kill protected species of native birds?

dan1980
    Free Member

Last time I checked, cats dont generally hunt by shaving and drawing on their prey. Lack of thumbs and basic artistic skills you see.

Although if they do, it would explainmy I can never find my sharpies at home and am always charging my beard trimmer…

oreetmon
    Free Member

shooting a cat will not stop it shttng in your garden, a cat has no idea what a gun or a pellet is or that the pain inflicted is supposed to be a deterrent. Once healed they will be back to reclaim the territory that other cats have claimed as their own in its absence they will do this by leaving LOTS of shts on top of the other cats shts,,,,, that’s a lot of shts.

I have grown large bushes in the corners and use fine bark around them as the cats tend to like to poop in private behind them, well out of the way of kiddies hands. I also bury chicken wire under my soil and put fine ‘sweet pea’ type netting around my beds in the summer, it doesn’t look great but I have accepted that i will never ever stop every cat in the area from shttg in my garden i can only try to prevent it.

if anybody is thinking of shooting a cat please remember that this animal could be the one thing that brightens a pensions day or be a pet loved by child. shooting it will not make a difference but cause great upset for the owners who have no control over the cats toilet habits.

MrsToast
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

gonzy
    Free Member

if anybody is thinking of shooting a cat please remember that this animal could be the one thing that brightens a pensions day or be a pet loved by child. shooting it will not make a difference but cause great upset for the owners who have no control over the cats toilet habits.

don’t worry i wasn’t being serious about shooting at any cats…i like them too much…still working on convincing the wife about getting a kitten to help overcome her fear of animals…the gun is for shooting practice with the neighbour’s young son… 😆

zippykona

Why don’t the effing retards who insist on having a cat buy a rabbit instead.
    I like rabbits.

Saccades
    Free Member

Growing garlic doesn’t work – or I have french cats here in ireland.

However I’ve taken a long term view and started to grow a lot of lillies.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Why not just use a super soaker? I’m sure it’ll have an effect.

TBH this all seems pretty silly to me – Lion Poo extract is well proven and cheap, does not require injuring an animal minding it’s own business and doesn’t require you hanging around waiting!

Duuuude – Live and let live crap.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’d rather the protected bird species that I spend a lot of money to encourage to breed in my wood were allowed to live and crap, rather than some latch-key predator that some 30-something divorced primary school teacher has decided to buy as a surrogate boyfriend.

ransos
    Free Member

Cat owners have complete control over their pets’ toilet habits.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

just cover the afflicted part of the garden in orange/ tangerine peel.

cats wont go near citrus smells.

best to suggest to neighbour that he/ she gets some sand delivered from builders merchant to their backyard (space permitting) as continued use of soil by cats ususlly results in their moggie becoming infested with worms.

br
    Free Member

I attached gripper rods to all my fences when the kids were young, seem to stop them coming into the garden.

Now I don’t worry, as if its not my dogs crapping in my garden its my neighbours dogs or one of the many folk walking past dogs (we are on a long-distance footpath) or the foxes or the cats or even the bloody horse from next door 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just have a cat-cull.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

With two small children to worry about and some well tended raised beds I got annoyed with the mad French witch next door and her four cats. Our garden was their loo.
    So, I started lobbing the shite back over next door. It didn’t bother me if she was sun bathing in the garden either.
    The problem was solved within a couple of months when she moved house.
    Job(bie) done.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I have got one of those ultrasonic things. Worked from day one. No more cats! The batteries have died and they still do not come back! Mwahmwahahmwaha!

spooky_b329

I got the Amazon sonic deterrent, it works 🙂

However its not effective on foxes, and rabbits just due a funny jump when it comes and and then ignore it.

Why don’t the effing retards who insist on having a cat buy a rabbit instead.
    I like rabbits.[/]

I refer you back to the fox issue. My rabbit run isn’t fox proof it appears. The remaining rabbit is stupid/fearless and will stretch up the window of the shed whilst a slavering dog is turning itself inside out on the other side.

To cat owners or those with cat problems…just turn over a far corner of the garden once in a while and you may find the cats choose that over your lawn.

natrix
    Free Member

just turn over a far corner of the garden once in a while and you may find the cats choose that over your lawn

Or get a sand pit…..

The private school across the road from us has a sandpit and our cat won’t do his business anywhere else, much to the delight of our neighbours, who don’t have any mess in their gardens and who don’t like the spoil little brats who go to the school. 8)

takisawa2

Trap the cat & deliver back to owner with…

jpeg by pten2106, on Flickr

Shibboleth
    Free Member

The more I read from cat owners, the more I realise what a bunch of selfish, arrogant, irresponsible twunts they are.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

You must get very tired jumping to all those conclusions.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Homework:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xcvhw

Looks interesting, might open a few eyes.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Takisawa2 – be sure to post up a PSA for when those cat-carriers arrive in Lidl/Aldi will yer…will get two.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Shibboleth – The phrase “like herding cats” didn’t come about for no reason. It’s because case are, at best, only ever a small step from being feral and as such can be a law unto themselves. The vast majority of pet owners are responsible human beings. Should I regard all dog owners as selfish idiots because one git lets his dog piss on my motorbike cover? Nah, didn’t think so.

In response to the OP – The problem with shooting at cats with a gun of any sort is that if the irate cat owner sees you and calls the police you’re likely to get a raid from armed police, a night or more in the cells and a criminal record. I speak from experience, having called the cops on one such neighbour (had I known armed response cops would arrive mob handed and close our street before kicking the guys door in I would have simply called round to the guy in person and made my displeasure known).

Water works a treat – cats hate water, and aren’t daft. No cat owner in the world will object to their moggy being ejected from the premesis in this manner.

Also, if you want to make doubly sure a fox isn’t involved (as cats will almost always bury their poop), spray a wee drop vinegar in the affected areas. Cats, dogs and foxes all dislike the smell. Job done! (or not, hopefully!) 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Also, if you want to make doubly sure a fox isn’t involved (as cats will almost always bury their poop), spray a wee drop vinegar in the affected areas. Cats, dogs and foxes all dislike the smell. Job done! (or not, hopefully!)

Really?

I’m going to get some flammable vinegar and we’ll see…

grantway
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfDjvhsdQoo[/video]

gonzy
    Free Member

grantway – i’m not THAT fat.. 😉

update: i installed the sonic repeller on Thursday evening…the following morning there was just the one deposit of cat poop….Saturday morning fared better as there was just a little wet patch in the gravel where the cat had taken a leak…but since then we have not had any more visits…so it seems like its working…

organic355
    Free Member

how to stop cats pooping in my garden…

Get a Raven?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/raven-1-cat-0

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘how to stop cats pooping in my garden…’ is closed to new replies.