Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How to shorten Clark’s m2 brake hoses
  • seifahmad
    Free Member

Hi all
    Google hasn’t helped me find a muppets guide to shortening the m2 hoses ok my Clark’s brakes.

All tips or links gratefully received
    Thankyou

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine were the same as Hope and many others. They came with spare hose end and olive in the box but spares were on CRC.

Basically, unscrew the hose from the caliper, cut to length, slide olive on and clear of the end, insert brass end thingy, push olive back down to the end, and screw back into the caliper. Then bleed.

tthew

Mr Grips pretty much nails it on one post. Only thing is add is use a really sharp knife to cut the tube, not a pair of side cutters or pliers that will crush then cut. Sure, there’s a proper tool, but not really necessary unless you do a lot of brakes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boriselbrus
    Free Member

Remove the pads and pump the lever a couple of times to pump the pistons out a bit g be careful not to go too far!

Then as above but once you’ve connected everything open the bleed port on the lever and push the pads carefully back in. Refit the pads and the bleed port screw then go ride with no need to bleed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only thing is add is use a really sharp knife to cut the tube

I used parrot cutters, seemed ok.

Remove the pads and pump the lever a couple of times to pump the pistons out a bit g be careful not to go too far!

Then as above but once you’ve connected everything open the bleed port on the lever and push the pads carefully back in. Refit the pads and the bleed port screw then go ride with no need to bleed.

I’d only recommend this if you really understand how it all works. For example this will only work if you cut at the lever end… I’d suggest learning the normal bleed process (which IIRC uses the Shimano funnel system..?)

Try this video, it’s for Shimano but should be the same

You don’t have all the lever reach and bite adjustments though. You probably will also need the adapters to fit the syringes in.

tthew

I’ve not got a pair of those Parrot Cutters. Not really thought of them before, but that nice clean bypass slice definately a better approach than squash and smash of a side cutter, in lots of circumstances. One for my Christmas list when people start asking I reckon.

squirrelking
    Free Member

They look like the Irwin wire cutters I got from B&Q, they did the job well enough with just a prod with a suitable implement needed to open the hose.

https://www.diy.com/departments/irwin-vise-grip-8-cable-cutter/1472163_BQ.prd

When I did M2’s the replacement barb was bloody tight, I had to grip the hose and give it a tap in with a soft mallet. In comparison the Hopes I did were a simple push fit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How to shorten Clark’s m2 brake hoses’ is closed to new replies.