Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How to set up an off road sportif?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

I am apparently considering setting up such a thing in the Winchester Downs. It would be easy to create a fun route with lots of legitimate singletrack. But how to set it up? I even have a Facebook page that was originally for a failed attempt to gauge interest in building a trail centre nearby. So, any ideas upon who to work with and what’s needed?

I have a local shop interested in running a feed station, and the local CTC are active.

I would like it to become an annual event too, plus proceeds to go to SPECIAL NEEDS SCHOOL that supports children from all over Hampshire

AndyRT
    Free Member

Nobody got an opinion?

daftvader
    Free Member

Give Charlie the bikemonger a shout for inspiration?? .. the ssuk thingy sounds like thats pretty much what it was…

robbo
    Free Member

Have you looked at TrailBreak? They do lots of this sort of stuff and might even give you some free advice. Or check out West Drayton MBC who do Bucks Off Road Sportive that was last week. Have you personally done an off road sportive? Just copy what they do…

AngusWells

Using experience of off road running events: You need to be proactive about rights of way use. It is worth contacting county or parish councils to let them know that you will be using rights of way for an event. They can help smooth the way with landowners when there are mass use of public rights of way and may help iron out problems before they turn into disputes. Publicity about the route and along the route in advance warns other users. A bit of leg work but worth it in the long run.

Have a look at this http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/environment/countryside/paths/prowguide/eventadvice.htm

ianfitz
    Free Member

There’s info on the British cycling website too

Muke
    Free Member

Keep it simple and as above ask Charlie the Bikemonger.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Obviously you will get the permission of all the owners of the land that you intend to use for this commendable venture

AndyRT
    Free Member

I will, as it is commendable

Cheers all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How to set up an off road sportif?’ is closed to new replies.