Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • How to safely clear higher drop offs.
  • weeksy

is that a beanie you’re wearing ?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yup, if I’d worn a helmet it’d have felt dangerous, psychology innit.

Re the pop thing I always think it’s like you’re going to start a manual just don’t do the move all the way back or push through with the legs, just the initial compression and the more “right” the speed the less you have to do

argee

@thestabiliser, that’s a ramp, so more like a jump than a drop off to be fair, if you try any rear movement off the ramp you’ll land rear wheel heavy if you do it right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah my bit of wood wasn’t long enough for the slope really, will build the next bit flatter

nedrapier

I found this one quite useful, explaining the benefit of unweighting the rear as well as the front.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

After @argee comment decided to go flatter before bigger so found a steeper bit of ground.

Back wheel heavy again

Better

Was a little more intimidating* and that shows in the more exaggerated movement, I think

*Two foot at the ramp, maybe four at the landing! Of course it’s bigger than it looks!

CheesybeanZ

Your grass needs cutting.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

How……could you? 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

stevehine

Nice elevation round your gaff @thestabiliser. I’m wondering if I can block up the steps down to the lawn for some practice 🙂

argee

@thestabiliser, the reason for the comments is i fell for the manual/wheelie/etc at the beginning, it ends with some funky rear wheel landings, or hanging up your rear wheel on the drop (3 x broken ribs and a concussion for me on that one!).

If you look at the video above your post, that’s what i tend to do for drops that i worry about, it can still be rear wheel heavy at times, but removes that hang up worry, it’s pretty much more of a first half of the bunny hop rather than manual move though, which can end up with folk trying to do an english bunny hop off a drop, now that’s a nightmare to watch!

maxtorque

The important fact is that no two drops are the same and it’s probably not “one” technique, but a lot of different ones, which you needt to be able to apply to suit the drop your are, er, dropping!

So to say “don’t manual off” or “don’t pop” is really eronious, because it the drop is tight, tall and you can’t drop off at any speed, then you are going to HAVE to manual off it!

In extremis, we have the trials style drop from a rear wheel stand, where the drop is left at zero speed, ie from a continuously held “manual” and is started with a pedal hop off. At the other end are those bike park drops, with 100 yards of straigth run in, 100 yards of straight run out, with the landing at just the right angle, in just the right place and a perfect take off ramp, smooth, flat, no lips, easy to judge, and sure, you can ride right off those at 100 mph without doing anything and it’ll all be good.

The real world is probably somewhere in the middle….. 🙂

Which is why you need to get out a ride all sorts of drops, and not just practise the one you happen to have in your local bike park

dthom3uk

That bigger drop in the Quarry at Leeds Urban Bike Park is responsible for a lot of ambulance visits…That in itself is quite off putting…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Built this, don’t have the stones to ride it 😂😂

flicker
    Free Member

Do it do it do it!…

Live stream it though just in case you don’t make it…

What?

singletrackmind

When you say built i was expecting a ladder drop
    Any std 100kg all up rider will have that over before you can say ‘ call me an ambulance, i need to get this pallet out of my arse’

lotto
    Free Member

This thread has actually inspired me to try higher drops that I would normally skirt around.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That bigger drop in the Quarry at Leeds Urban Bike Park is responsible for a lot of ambulance visits…That in itself is quite off putting…

I haven’t been to Leeds bike park but I bet the number of ambulance call outs is just due to its accessibility.

continuity
    Free Member

Having ridden it more than a few times (and casing it first time – too slow and had to lift the front wheel a lot and basically landed on the flat tabletop, though I stayed on) it is dangerous for a number of reasons, and it should be changed.

Firstly because the roll-in is steep, people get scared of taking too much speed, brake and then don’t clear the flat top of the landing OR nosedive. Secondly, because they built the landing with a flat top that you need to clear, the drop itself doesn’t help beginners. Thirdly, there is a tight blind entry point that turns a corner and the exit looks, feels and seems blind, so people get unnerved and go in slow if not confident. Fourthly the landing has no exist – it takes you straight into a very steep kicker that loads of people seem to just sit at the top of watching, so you have to be hard on the brakes or just jump into them. Fifthly, there is no progression into it – there aren’t many drops in lubp – the other quarry lines are just steepish g-outs where you don’t leave the ground. Sixthly, lubp is meant to be punter friendly and local – so punters go and hurt themselves

stevextc
    Free Member

How old is she?
    This is old now but this was Jnr coaching other kids on a drop. He’s done MUCH bigger since. He’s totally unqualifed (he’s only 10 now so he just really helps friends) but he has coached lots of kids (and some of the parents).

This is exaggerated movement because he’s demonstrating pushing the bike away for his mates Dad..

lotto
    Free Member

She rides track competitively. Her coach has always promoted other forms of cycling for peddle time basically. This year she and her friends have taken to MTB to supplement their training. I think that it is her cat like handling skills from track that are saving her blushes on the drops rather than any proper form. Hence the video coaching.

kiwizak
    Free Member

This might not be a popular post. Lol.

You an either following the advice (some good, some bad) given by others in this thread.

Or you an do the right thing and get her some proper coaching.

I got my son 2 hours of 1 on 1 coaching, and it turned out to be the best investment I’ve made, being safer on the bike, he learned more skills in that 2 hrs then i could have taught him in 2 months.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘How to safely clear higher drop offs.’ is closed to new replies.