Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to repair wooden door rot?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Need to keep costs low and repair this SW facing external door. I’ve stripped away the rotten wood that falls apart.

What’s the best thing for me to do?

P1060325.JPG by cakefest, on Flickr

wwaswas

wood hardener and then lots of filler.

rub the paint down around it before you start so the filler at the edges has somethign to grip.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cut/chisel out the dodgy section and cut/chisel a replacement section. Then finish with a small amount of filler.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    camo16
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the best solution be to use hardener/filer on the back section and replace the horizontal bottom brace piece? That looks pretty knackered…

Maybe a 2nd hand door would be more cost efficient than shelling out for hardener – which is pretty expensive – and the ancillaries to repair? Just a thought.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Buy a new door.

Seriously – that’s fcuked across three separate sections. Even if you harden the rot first, the movement in the timber will crack it all back open the minute winter arrives.

theblackmount
    Free Member

4 – the Drip Bar’s knackered too.

globalti
    Free Member

From the way the timber has sunk close to the rot on the horizontal bar, I’d say you’ve got dry rot. I would be looking around for a new door or a proper metal/wood/metal door.

But if you want to bodge it, then wood hardener and fill then wait for it to crack and more rain to penetrate.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Like tbm said – I think if you can get the drip bar off, you will find more trouble underneath.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Whatever repair you do is very likely to only put off the inevitable for a short time. New door I’m afraid – frame looks OK though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m afraid I’m with the “new door” people too.

footflaps

It looks seriously weakened from the point of view of someone kicking in the lower panel to gain access to the house. Personally I’d replace or at least if you have to repair, brace the inside with some metal brackets / banding to reinforce it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to repair wooden door rot?’ is closed to new replies.