How to repair a tear in a jacket

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to repair a tear in a jacket
  • DrJ

On a trip just now, I went head over heels and made two tears in my lovely Arcteryx Atom jacket. I sent it back to Arcteryx and they say it is “too complex” to repair as the material is abraded round the tears. They offered me a new jacket at a reduced price, but a) they only have horrid colours in stock, and b) the reduction was not that much.

So – now I am wondering how to repair it. Send it to someone like Lancashire Sports Repair? Use some sort of iron-on patches? Any thoughts?

Stoner

how big and wonky is the tear? Ive successfully repaired a slice in my snowboard trousers using sugru and a technique they have on their you tube channel

dovebiker

GoreTex repair patches are pretty good – depends on the size / position of the tear as the patches are black

DrJ

It’s not that long but the edges of the fabric are frayed. It got dragged along rocks for a while so it’s not a clean cut!

Also it’s a bit of an odd colour (“tut”) so hard to match 🙁

But I’ll check out the sugru thing for future reference, so thanks for that.

DrJ

TUI, not TUT 🙂

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Mcnett Tenacious Tape. Clear and very durable. No need to iron on, just make sure the fabric is clean and no loose thread in the way.
    Have a 7 year old repair on my winter riding trousers that’s still holding up, and sorted a rip in my down jacket this winter after snagging the sleeve.

Vader

I have that exact jacket and ended up fixing with a small embroidered patch. Something suitably avant garde and you can get away with it, sort of. But mine was a small tear.

dooosuk

Mcnett Tenacious Tape

I’ve used this on my Montane jacket…and the wifes coat…and the kids coats. Brilliant stuff.

footflaps

I use seam sealant on all my jacket and shoe tears. Just smear it over the tear and wait 24 hours for it to cure. Flexible once set.

NB Half price Atoms on Sportspursuit.com at the moment – big Arcteryx sale.

DrJ

NB Half price Atoms on Sportspursuit.com at the moment – big Arcteryx sale.

Yeah – that’s funny – they have the Atom AR for less than Arcteryx were offering me as a “favour” – but only in a lurid yellow colour (“Everglade”).

footflaps

Sale is a week old and lots of stuff has gone now…

NB Quite often see them for sale on outdoor gear FB group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/usedgearexchangeuk/

joshvegas

Spinnaker tape in the most opposite colour you can find.

Wear the damage with pride.

Also, tenacious tape is great for the embarrassing ones.

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Subscriber

Another tenacious tape user

bsims

Again tenacious tape, here’s some more advice…

ripped waterproof

damascus

You can mix sugru to colour match. Wonderful stuff

malgrey

Tenacious tape. Used it on jackets and tents, lasts as long as the rest of the garment/tent once repaired, and as simple to do as could be; as long as the rip isn’t too huge.

pothead

Tenacious tape on the outside, gorilla tape inside of a Montane softshell, fleece lined and still holding together after about a year and quite a few washes. I’ll replace the tape when edges start to come away but so far so good

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

For cycling or walking?

For cycling I’d just stick some spinnaker tape over it and zig zag stitch round it to make it truly permanent. No so much point seam sealing cycling gear IMO as you sweat so much anyway, but you could do that, or spinnaker patch, stitch then patch over it again. I’d worry slightly about any glue sticking to outdoors fabric as the DWR and membrane are obviously very low surface energy so glue’s will struggle to bond with them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.