Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How to remove rubber/paint from our bumper from another car. Help please!
  • ska-49
    Free Member

My poor better half got a new car on Saturday. Yesterday she phoned me that someone had reversed into her and driven off. Checked the damage today and it seems to be just rubber and some navy blue paint from the other car.

What’s the best way to remove it? We obviously don’t want to damage our paintwork. It is a white vw by the way. Any help would be much appreciated.

Going to try and resolve it today.

Nomad
    Free Member

T-cut

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Go and get some Autoglym polish, it’s the one with that’s got a very gentle cutting compound in it. It will polish out no probs.

Edit: Autoglym Paint Renovator is the product

ska-49
    Free Member

Thanks. Any special clothes to use when applying/removing?

Stoner
    Free Member

paging nealglover….

garage-dweller

Be careful polishing brand new. Have a feeling the paint can be a little soft for a while. Although vw paint is hard as nails from what I recall of trying to remove a car park hit and run gouge from my old golf

nealglover
    Free Member

Reporting for duty 🙂

Post a picture up if you can ?

Sounds like it will be fairly easy but the product etc will depend on how much residue there is.

zippykona

Thinners can wash it off. Have done this many times.
    Try not to get it on any bare plastics then a light polish to get the gloss back.

ska-49
    Free Member

All help appreciated. Thanks!
    Hard to tell if it is all residual. How can you tell if it has gone through the paint? Mixture of black and dark blue/navy paint.

zippykona

Yep thinners should do.
    If you go the polish route be careful on that corner.

nealglover
    Free Member

That should come off pretty well with a mild cutting polish on a clean microfibre cloth.

Just go steady on the edges where the bumper changes shape) as the clear coat is thinner on those areas.
    Although doing it by hand you won’t really need to worry about that.

Take it slowly and do a small area at a time.

globalti
    Free Member

Ordinary car polish, keep turning the cloth so as not to pick up grit and rub it in.

project
    Free Member

wd 40 on a soft cloth paper towel etc, careful where you throw the damp cloth away its highly flamable.

ska-49
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help chaps. Somewhat of a relief.

Any suggestions for something to pickup from halfords?

renton
    Free Member

G3 cutting polish or meguiars scratch x I thunk it’s called just use a little bit with light pressure on the cloth and it should come off!

tron
    Free Member

The best way to get that off is to use a clay bar, not a polish. A clay bar will take all of the transferred paint off very easily without abrading your paint. You’ll be left with some marks from the accident that need buffing up, but you shouldn’t need to be using anything as aggressive as G3.

renton
    Free Member

Don’t think clay will get it off and even if it did it will scratch the surrounding paint!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Any special clothes to use when applying/removing?

Saucy underwear, and post pics! 😆

nealglover
    Free Member

The best way to get that off is to use a clay bar, not a polish. A clay bar will take all of the transferred paint off very easily without abrading your paint. You’ll be left with some marks from the accident that need buffing up, but you shouldn’t need to be using anything as aggressive as G3.

Sorry but clay bar isn’t the right thing to use for that. It *might* remove some of it, but I would not use clay for transfer as heavy as that, its far more likely to cause a problem than it is to solve one in that scenario.

And I’m not sure what you mean that G3 is too aggressive. G3 is a range, not a product, so if you pick the right product from the range then it will be spot on.

I would use G3 ultra on the flat areas and G3 fine on the edges, and a machine polish of G3 finish over the lot to remove any fine marks when all the colour/transfer had been removed.

If you really want to cheat, brake cleaner would remove it. But it’s a “cheat” and if you are unlucky, It can make the too coat to milky, which would then require machine polishing anyway. So it’s best to do it right first time in my view.

zippykona

G3 is a grade of polish from Farecla. G7 being coarse and 1 fine.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just looked on Halfords website at G3 (I buy direct from Farecla so it’s a different range from the retail stuff)

They only have one grade in the G3 range and I’ve no idea how that compares to the Professional range in terms of cutting.

So I would use Megs ScratchX if I was buying from Halfords. It’s not as good as using a range of compounds, but will do the job, just a bit slower.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ordinary car polish, keep turning the cloth so as not to pick up grit and rub it in.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve got the g3 stuff from halfords a d it’s as good as the scratch x.

Where are you op?

ska-49
    Free Member

Good advice. Thanks for all the info.
    Bought the products nealglover mentioned.
    Need to wait for a dry day to crack on with it. Don’t have a garage sadly.

Based in Colchester. Will post up the results when I’ve finished.

ska-49
    Free Member

Had a crack at it today and it’s as good as new. Very relieved.

Thanks for all the help.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nice work. Glad it worked out ok.

(Keep hold of the bottle, it will happen again 🙂 )

renton
    Free Member

Good stuff #!! what did you use in the end?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

What clothes were you wearing whilst you did it? 😉

saleem
    Free Member

So which product did you use to remove it in the end as the same has happened to me. Cheers

ska-49
    Free Member

I used the Megs Scratch X. Effective and easy to use and remove.

nealglover
    Free Member

If it was bought from Halfords it would have been Meguiars Scratch X

It’s good stuff, dead easy to use and works really well.

saleem
    Free Member

Cheers for that.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How to remove rubber/paint from our bumper from another car. Help please!’ is closed to new replies.