Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How to remove metal collar/nipple off a disc brake hose
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi, installing some new brakes. I need to remove the old ones if course, and on my current avids is metal collar thing . Can I just cut it off? Would like to keep the brakes (re)usable [/url][/img]

Junkyard
    Free Member

unscrew the black end insert – forget what it is called and the olive [ the metal bit] should come off- might want to see if it can move before trying this

If this does not work then cut through the olive with a hacksaw and then prize it apart with a screwdriver- needless to say be careful doing it that way!!

the brakes need the olive or they will leak so I am not sure why you want to remove it.

BillOddie

Thats an olive, it deforms on fitting, they aren’t generally reusable.

svalgis
    Free Member

Are the cables internally routed, or why do you need to remove the cable in the first place?

Anyway, just leave the olive on there, it will most probably be reusable. If not, i.e. the brakes leaks if/when you use them again, it’s probably easiest to just cut that piece of the cable off (unless you’re really marginal on length to begin with) and fit a new insert and olive.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes internally routed . Ok I’ll cut her off. Thanks all!tempted to just throw the avids in the bin but should recycle…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How to remove metal collar/nipple off a disc brake hose’ is closed to new replies.