Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • How To Reduce…Cold Feet?
  • benz
    Free Member

Mrs B suffers a bit with Raynauds.

We were out in the other afternoon and temps not much more than 5 deg C.

Hands were ok, as some PX crab mitts on. No real issues.

Mrs B won’t use clipless pedals due to a fear of release, so my thoughts about getting her a proper insulated winter cycling boot is not probable.

So…those folks who use flat pedals, what do you use to keep your feet warm and dry? We will go the insulated insole, merino sock route regardless.

Are Endura MT500 plus worth a shout or does anyone know of any insulated, waterproof flat boots?

Thanks in advance.

ta11pau1

Thin merino socks under sealskinz socks, and any flat pedal shoe.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just recently, I began wearing wearing a pair of neoprene socks given to me ~10 years ago, over a pair of thin socks for work (delivering for up to ~5 hours) on the cooler days… Works great.

For some reason I never thought to try them for that purpose, thinking they were simply for wet rides, which I basically never do these days besides maybe a quick 5min spin to the shops.

On One Thickies aren’t bad either.

martinhutch

Thin socks under sealskinz.

However, if the shoes she is wearing fit well with ‘summer socks’ on, chances are they will be a bit tighter, making the problem worse rather than better.

Make sure the core is properly warm as well. I know Raynauds is a bit different, but if I’m not wearing enough layers over my torso, my hands and feet are more likely to suffer.

joe-m

My sister has some primaloft lined flat pedal shoes reckon they’d help.

tabletop2
    Free Member

I get bad Raynaud’s. Make sure to size up the shoes so plenty of room with a thick merino sock and then sealskin over the top. If they are tight then they get cold regardless of how many socks on.

Sometimes it just seems to be an off day and no matter what I do I have frozen white toes but this seems to be the best combo for me.

Still working on the solution for hands – trying to balance gloves that are still usable for proper handling and fingers that still have sensation and not got there yet – but some people get it worse in their feet than hands and vice versa

stevextc
    Free Member

Bigger shoes … it’s no use cramming into tight shoes.
    I really suffer with cold feet and size up the shoes with a pair of sealskinz over some warm socks. In extreme times the Heatholders 2.3 TOG fleece socks.

So…those folks who use flat pedals, what do you use to keep your feet warm and dry? We will go the insulated insole, merino sock route regardless.

Oh, OK …

IHN

Lessons I learned from v.cold commutes:

– A pair of silk socks (from ebay) as first layer
    – A pair of thick, long (i.e. calf length) socks over that
    – Some kind of insulated insole (lambswool ones are ace)
    – Shoes big enough to take the above with a bit of toe-wiggle room

Big tip is to keep the core/legs/arms properly warm too, no point the blood being cold before it’s even got all the way to the feet/hands

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Also a Reynauds sufferer. I’ve found good insultation on ankles and wrists helps massively. These are the points where blood is more likely to cool as its so close to the surface of your skin. I’ve got some long merino socks from Biketreks that work wonders. Again, used with thin liner socks.

duncancallum

Neoprene sailing socks are my favourite

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As Stevextc rightly says, a bit of room in the shoes, makes a huge difference.

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, big shoes help. I’ve tried almost everything above and still lose all sensation when it gets closer to zero. I literally feel her pain.
    I’m trying plastic flats this winter to see if it makes any difference not having a big heatsink attached to my sole.

stevextc
    Free Member

As Stevextc rightly says, a bit of room in the shoes, makes a huge difference.

Yep I don’t even bother trying to find shoes that keep the feet warm or dry .. plenty of room to adjust and put on thick or thicker or even thicker socks under sealskinz without the shoes restricting blood is what worked for me. The trick I found is shoes that can take up the slack without being slack if you only wear thick not even thicker fleece and making sure the sealskinz cover the top of the sock if its warm enough to be wet.

I’ve had feet hurt worse than pedal rash… if I went for the 2.3TOG under sealskinz above freezing I’d be so warm I’d be itchy.

oldfart

I think I actually proved what I thought was an old wives tale actually wasn’t this week. Bought some Madison Deep Winter Merino socks feet like blocks of ice not impressed. Rode a different bike with flat pedals not SPDs voila warm feet!

thols2

I don’t have Raynauds, but I struggle with circulation to my feet in cold weather. Beyond the obvious stuff like bigger shoes and multiple socks, it’s also important to get yourself really nice and warm before you go out. A nice hot shower or bath that gets you sweating, then layer up with lots of warm clothes so that your core temperature is high before you leave the house, then a few minutes jogging or running up and down stairs before you get on the bike make a big difference IME. That warmth will keep the circulation flowing to your limbs. As soon as your feet get cold, you lose that circulation and it’s pretty much impossible to get it flowing again. Basically, if you just keep your torso at a temperature where you’re feeling sweaty and then your body will send blood to your feet.

whitestone
    Free Member

Try the vapour barrier system: thin liner socks, VB sock (can be as simple as the plastic bag from a loaf of bread), thick warm sock, protective layer on the outside.

Sounds daft but it’s pretty standard in cold climes as it stops your perspiration soaking the thermal sock. Obviously in colder temps (and we are talking -5C and below) you have a full boot and there’s less likelyhood of moisture from the environment. The inner sock does get slightly damp but your feet stop perspiring pretty quickly once the body reacts to its high humid environment.

Keep the legs warm, so full length trousers/bib tights as well as gaiters. 45Nrth used to do insulated gaiters but they are no longer available and I’ve not seen anything else that’s similar.

mudfish

Cold wet are very unpleasant – Sam Hill Impact 5-10s are pretty good Winter shoes, nice and wide for wiggle room and don’t hold water like the old Impacts.
    Great grip on pedals obvs.
    5-10 also make some ankle boots [EPS] with warm liners.Show the Mrs. a epic of that sexy bird Florence form the Magic Roundabout, that’s the look.
    I genuinely think flat pedals are much better than SPDs in Winter,that bloody metal cleat seems to conduct the heat away.
    I get cold feet too, those shoes (in a loose fit, I’m a 10 and mine are 12) with thin mtn. climbing sockliners (silk would be even better) and sealskins, with wool insoles does the trick for me, the MT500 spray trousers help too.
    It seems extremities get cold largely because of blood being withdrawn to protect the “core”. I remember a European motorcycle company used to promote wearing a heated waistcoat to keep hands warm! I guess its like the porridge effect. Maybe carry a warm drink too.

lunge

My suggestions:
    Shoe a size/half a size bigger than normal.
    A shoe that’s waterproof, a Gore-Tex lined approach shoe will do the job, heck, even a cheap waterproof pair from Sports Direct will do the job. You may lose some grip compared to some 5:10’s but that’s got to be better than frozen fee. The waterproof liner stops the airflow through the shoe so keeps them warmer. If you don’t want to buy new shoes, at least tape up every bit of mesh or breathable material on hr current shoes.
    Good, long merino wool socks.
    Thin liner socks if it’s really cold.
    And the old roadie trick, tinfoil around the toes, over the socks, under the shoes. It seems like a silly thing to do but it can really work wonders. it doesn’t add any bulk either.

Personally, I’m not a fan of Seal Skins, I think Merino is a much better option, but opinions vary.

Make sure her lower legs are warm as well, if she can’t find suitable long socks then runner calf sleeves can be used and they’re easy to pick up cheaply.

towzer

Mrs gets cold feet

Overshoes, these work, they wear pretty quickly as she’s on std pedals but I just pick em up off eBay once they’re getting shredded (has a furry insole and merino socks)

She wears shimano mw winter boots , which I’ve non ‘spdised’, bought the bolt in rubber cleat area sole inserts and premasticted them all over before bolting in and filled in any gaps, you could probably do that with most mtb winter boots, but they still don’t give brilliant grip on std pedals, but they’re waterproof and insulated.

ampthill

I have no difficulty riding in walking boots. Ideally stiff sole not too clompy. I might not lace to the top of the boot. Wear warm walking socks inside

ton
    corroded
    Free Member

For me, keeping feet dry and windproof is key. On the road bike a pair of insulated overshoes and some warm socks is enough. On the MTB or gravel bikes I get out the Shimano MT90 boots, which are great. Normally I don’t like Gore-Tex lined footwear (when hiking) but sweatiness isn’t a problem when riding. I’d be wary of using everyday flat shoes in winter – it seems like they be quite absorbent and not at all windproof. That said, I’ve never used Sealskinz so don’t know how they compare as a cheaper alternative to a new pair of shoes.

montylikesbeer

I’ll add my merino / seal skin combo to the list.

A merino liner sock that gives the warmth and the seal skin outer sock for the rain and wind proof stopper.

I think it’s a great combination which works for me

baddddad
    Free Member

Not sure if serious!

peaslaker
    Free Member

What worked for me was giving up caffeine. YMMV

zerocool

A bigger shoe. Too many people wear thicker socks in their riding/walking boots which actually squashed their feet reducing circulation. My wife’s Shimano DX and AM9(?) shoes seem more weatherproof than my 5Tens. Maybe go up a size and wear seal skins/thermal socks (depending on level of wetness) and try to find shoes with the least amount of holes.

Isn’t there a company than makes heated insoles?

Top KP

lunge

The tinfoil thing is real, works really well.

colp

I just bought a pair of these

Dexshell socks

Absolutely marvellous

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Peaslaker – really? I’m a reynauds sufferer and not heard that before. I think my need for caffeine would trump my need to ride in the winter though!

stevious

I’ve found using looong socks to make a big difference for me. I use ski socks that come up most of the way to my knees – they’re also reasonably thin in all the right places to avoid squeezed feet.

Not sure why they’re so much better than shorter (but otherwise similar) socks but my working theory is that warmer calves = less restriction in blood vessels = better flow to feet.

slowol

As it gets colder my tactics are:

Fleecy leggings (powerstretch) in the theory that warmer legs gives warmer feet.
    Slightly large shoes, or low height boots with a membrane (like gore tex but a mainly a cheaper substitute)
    Thick socks with high percentage wool, often with wool liner socks.
    If very cold I use heated insoles. They are branded Warmawear are rechargable and give about 2 hours gentle warmth, enough, for me to get to work and back.
    All seem to help and may be worth a try. Two pairs of thick leggings is a tactic I know other people have tried. Don’t need to be particularly technical, just preferably not cotton.

garage-dweller

I often think sailing kit is a good place to look for warm base stuff.

Kit that can keep sailors warm when they’re snapping icicles off the rigging is generally good kit.

I am a bit of a fan of Rooster Sailing stuff and their PolyPro base layers are thin and add a surprising amount of warmth. They also don’t hold water.

I use the gloves inside mid weight cycling gloves in the winter.

I am usually ok with SealSkins with leggings over the top (amazing how much splash ingress that stops) but a pair of something warm under would be good.

You could go full wetsuit socks but you probably need to size up on the shoes.

towzer

Re boots, found these, have no idea if any good, but At the punt level of price ,esp if like my mrs you can get children’s sizes as they’re only £15

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/arpenaz-snow-200-boots/_/R-p-4441

Mounty_73

I have give up on my overshoes, so now I use thin merino socks under sealskinz knee socks.

mrmoofo

As I have posted several times, I have the same issue. Under 10 degrees and my feet go numb.
    Sealskinz, fat pedals – and a pair of waterproof walking boots.

You don’t actually need MTB flat pedal shoes – with the pins most shoes will grip enough unless you are riding gnar ….

sweepy
    Free Member

these ,well the mens version, is what I use.

theotherjonv

Big tip is to keep the core/legs/arms properly warm too, no point the blood being cold before it’s even got all the way to the feet/hands

This, insulate ankles (and wrists) where the blood is close to the surface (opposite of running wrists under cold water in hot weather)

Also for properly cold feet days, get off and jog for a bit every now and then. Sounds daft and not so easy on road pedals / shoes but really works.

peaslaker
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion

Peaslaker – really? I’m a reynauds sufferer and not heard that before. I think my need for caffeine would trump my need to ride in the winter though!

Yes. Seriously. My Raynaud’s is alot better since giving up caffeine. The advice is to not have too much but in my case it was easier to just cut it out entirely.

HB47

Have you considered buying some electric heated socks , very common for skiing and snow boarding. Not cheap but they will solve the problem. A friend has the Lenz ones and loves them , she has had them for five years , lots more available on the market now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘How To Reduce…Cold Feet?’ is closed to new replies.