Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How to quickly and legally get rid of an air gun?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m down in Kent trying to sort things out after my Dad died last week and I’ve come across his air rifle. Mum has no use for it and wants it out of the house. I’ve called the shops in Kent and no-one is interested and I know it can’t go on ebay or Gumtree so what can I do with it?

Can’t take it back home with me – I live in Scotland.

Thanks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I found my collection of knives from when I was a kid a few months ago.

Took them round to a friend’s house and borrowed his angle grinder and vice for a while.
    Chopped the bayonet especially into very small pieces.

Murray

Take it to the tip and chuck in the metals bin? Scrap dealer?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Must me someone local on here who’ll have it. Failing that you can mail it to me.

duncancallum

Local gun club?

What is it some are quite valuable

teethgrinder

Details on the type of rifle it is would help, along with accessories – scope, moderator etc.

JAG

On your way home to Scotland you could meet up with someone and hand it over?

Many people like airguns :o)

dchwhite
    Free Member

There are various forums you can sell on – airgunbbs is (I think) the biggest, but there are others

Jakester
    Free Member

If you really want shot of it quickly just call the Police and arrange to drop it off with them. They’ll take it and dispose of it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Canal?

zilog6128

Where in Kent? can I shoot it in my back garden/garage? Not that I need any more hobbies 😂

db

And does without saying… don’t just walk into a police station carrying it!

Jakester
    Free Member

And does without saying… don’t just walk into a police station carrying it!

Well, no – if you carried it clearly with the barrel broken and explained you were dropping it off, why would that be a problem?

tinribz
    Free Member

Fairly sure it has to be in a gunslip in public.

And personally I would be sure to call ahead!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I would phone the police and ask for advice. I suspect that taking it round to them would be committing an offence (related to carrying a gun in public).

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss.

What make and model is this air rifle?

This info would help us to help you.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Well, no – if you carried it clearly with the barrel broken and explained you were dropping it off, why would that be a problem?

How do you know it is a break barrel action?

Scapegoat

Depends very much on the make, type, condition and anything added onto it (eg sights).

Airguns can vary from a few quids’ worth of chinese scrap to several thousand pounds’ worth of elite target rifle.

If you need any help identifying it post up a pic or read the maker’s name and calibre off the rifle (usually stamped or engraved on the side)

The options are a) hand it in to a firearms dealer to have it scrapped (you can always ebay the sights, slip and anything else, just not the rifle)
    b) sell it via Gunstar, Guntrader or any other forum in line with their rules. Face to face is preferable, as the rules around posting make ParfelForce 48 about the only way to do it properly. Read their rules before paying for the service!

bubs

Our local scout group has a collection of air rifles. One near to you could probably give it a good home?

DrP

Take it into a police station.
    Wearing a mask, obvs, cos of covid.
    And it’s chilly, so wear a beenie too.

Use it to ensure you’re 2m away from the officer – a rifle at arms length is about 2m – hold it out in front of you when you walk in. For safety.

Let us know how you get on.

DrP

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Many thanks for the replies so far.

The gun is a Cometa Mod300 2.2 It has a Richter Optik 9-40 scope on it and I have a cleaning kit and most of a tin of 500 pellets. I think it’s only shot about 50 pellets since he got it as I think he found it too heavy to use (he was in his 80’s).

If anyone local wants it, happy to let it go for a small donation to Prostrate Cancer UK.

DrP

TBH, I’d love it for some target training with my son. But..Sussex is a bit far.

Good luck moving it on though

DrP

FuzzyWuzzy
    derek_starship
    Free Member

Well it aint no nest egg!

Cometas are budget Spanish airguns and Richter are entry level scopes.

Have you tried to sell it for twenty quid or so at the local gunsmiths?

Scapegoat

It’s an ideal garden plinker, so great for anyone getting a youngster to learn how to shoot safely and responsibly. I like the idea of giving it away for a charity donation.

rOcKeTdOg

Surely thread title should be..

How do I get shot of this?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Airgunforum or airgunbbs, someone will happily take it off your hands. Gunstar and Guntrader will both charge. Failing that you can post it using PF48 to anyone. I’d take it but I have enough and don’t need another, I hardly get time to shoot as it is. Unless of course you fancied getting a licence and wanted me to hold onto it for you (I’m in Ayrshire).

Our local scout group has a collection of air rifles. One near to you could probably give it a good home?

Good call.

Fairly sure it has to be in a gunslip in public.

It doesn’t, technically, it’s just a very strong recommendation. There are practical reasons why it would be unworkable otherwise. Needless to say it should be unloaded and uncocked at all times. But a bin bag would be fine to ccover it with anyway.

winston
    Free Member

“TBH, I’d love it for some target training with my son”

Thats a bit harsh…whatever he’s done, surely a good talking to and grounding for a week with no xbox is all thats needed?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Surely thread title should be..

How do I get shot of this?

Or….getting rid of an air rifle – it couldn’t have Cometa worst time.

Pippin
    Free Member

Which bit of Scotland are you? I’m in Perthshire and could give it a home

duncancallum

Those puns are half cocked at best

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you just want rid of then chat to a copper and they’ll sort it.
    Or wait until the next guns/knives amnesty and take it round.

brads
    Free Member

You don’t need any amnesty or suchlike. You also don’t need a gunslip to carry it in public, just make sure it’s unloaded.

If you really don’t want it, and it is worth nothing (literally nothing by the way) then take it to a cop shop and simply hand it in.

It’s not a big deal.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Seriously -I WOULD NOT enter a police station with an uncased air rifle.

That would be stupid at best.

Transportng airguns:

Airguns must always be transported in securely-fastened cases that do not permit the airgun to be fired whilst in the case. Since the implementation of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act, 2003, airgunners between 14 and 18 years of age are no longer allowed to transport an airgun to the venues at which they shoot. These shooters must be accompanied and supervised by someone of 21 years or above. Remember, too, that it is now illegal to have an airgun – loaded or not – in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. This restriction applies to all airguns, even those that are being carried in securely-fastened gun cases.

timmys

I seem to remember the airgun forums mentioned above make you post X number of times before you can use their classified sections. Seeing what it is, it’s not really worth anything, but scraping it would be a real shame. I reckon someone here will take it off your hands.

globalti
    Free Member

Prostrate cancer? Give it to me, I’m prostrate with remorse and my bad judgement.

brads
    Free Member

They do not need to be in a case. The law does not require it and never has.
    The above is post is simply a quote from a website, not the law.

I would have no issue whatsoever taking a gun into a police station. Common sense is the only thing you need. Act like an adult and you’ll be fine.

Seriously, take it to a cop shop and be done with it.
    If it makes you fell comfortable, wrap it in a towel.

Yak

+1 for donating to a local scout troop if you can.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

A friend of mine clearing out her mum’s house found a pistol – rang up the copshop and made an appointment to see the firearms officer – she was mortified to walk away with the gear all labelled “safe” by the police (it turned out it was a starting pistol, which I passed on for her to a local athletics club).
    Ring up the local station and see what they say.

docgeoffyjones

“TBH, I’d love it for some target training with my son”

Thats a bit harsh…whatever he’s done, surely a good talking to and grounding for a week with no xbox is all thats needed?

It is only harsh if you deny him pudding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How to quickly and legally get rid of an air gun?’ is closed to new replies.