Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to open an Astra?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello
    Brand new Opel Astra hire car I know nothing about.
    The key won’t open it, new battery tried, still nothing.
    There is a metal key which is supposed to go in a slot under the driver’s door handle but doesn’t.
    Hire company not being terribly helpful and the breakdown details are in the glovebox.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

jamesoz

Did the key ever work?

integra

Brick?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is this the first time you have parked it after leaving the hire co?

Possible you have the wrong physical key ?

pondo

In older ones the locks seize, but can’t imagine that’s an issue with a new one. 🙁

maccruiskeen

Taking the battery out of the fob can sometimes mean the key needs to be re-paired with the car again which can be a back to dealer thing

the hire company should at least be able to tell you what the breakdown policy details are as they’re the ones who issued the policy

Cougar

Hire company not being terribly helpful

Get back on to them, tell them to come and collect it and drop off something else.

This is precisely the point of hire vehicles, it isn’t and shouldn’t be your problem.

revs1972
    Free Member

Should be a small slot under the end of the drivers door handle , slot key into it and twist up to remove the plastic cap. This exposes the lock. Open with key as normal. Key should re-sync itself when you put it in ignition.

fossy

Erm, passenger side for the key – it is on Nissans.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Taking the battery out of the fob can sometimes mean the key needs to be re-paired with the car again which can be a back to dealer thing

Keyless entry keys are passive RFID. The energised coil is in the car …. So you can remove battery and it’ll still open the car. The blades for when the car battery is flat – hence why I’m asking if he’s ever been able to open/start the car after leaving the hire co.

andrewh
    Free Member

Should be a small slot under the end of the drivers door handle , slot key into it and twist up to remove the plastic cap. This exposes the lock. Open with key as normal. Key should re-sync itself when you put it in ignition.

That’s it.
    The key wouldn’t go in as it was just a slot which hid the bit where the key goes, not the actual key hole, get that cover off and then key goes in
    Easy when you know how.
    Thanks all

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I suspect that particular skill set has been lost by the current generation of “yoofs”

revs1972
    Free Member

That’s it.
    The key wouldn’t go in as it was just a slot which hid the bit where the key goes, not the actual key hole, get that cover off and then key goes in
    Easy when you know how.
    Thanks all

You don’t see the woods for the trees sometimes. 😁

I got a call from the wife saying my T6.1 alarm was going off as she had opened it using the key as she said there wasn’t a button on the fob to unlock it. It has electric boot and doors , and there are symbols of the doors and boot on the buttons. You press the boot button once to unlock (and again for 3 seconds to open boot).
    I did laugh, as I had done exactly the same thing the day I bought it (except I knew to put key in ignition to turn the alarm off) 😉

What are those new Astras like to drive ?
    Certainly come on a long way since my Mk2 1.6 SR

Flaperon

Keyless entry keys are passive RFID.

Sort of. The keyless entry requires a (charged) battery in the keyfob to operate.

If the battery dies you need to use the mechanical lock to get into the car, but there will be a key reader somewhere (cup holder usually) that will energise the key enough to start the car.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.