Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to NOT Get Scammed on a bike sale?
  • shooterman

Ok, I have a guy interested in buying my bike via another website (not Ebay). He’s based in a Baltic state.

I’ve done some research and there is a Facebook profile of a guy with that name in that country. Seems legit enough (haggling over price and shipping costs).

However, are there any steps I can take to protect myself in case this is a scammer?

andytheadequate
    Free Member

They could make a PayPal claim against you by claiming it never turned up. Does this Baltic state have tracked shipping options? I know some countries don’t.

shooterman

I was thinking of asking for bank transfer? I am also insisting the bike is insured for shipping and that is reflected in the postage I’m asking for.

mattyfez

Bank transfer would be pretty safe for you, but from a buyers perspective, if you were a dodgy seller they’d have little or no comeback so might put them off.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Honestly… I’d have to ask myself whether it’s *really* worth the (potential) hassle?

If it’s a good bike, priced well etc… An easier to deal with buyer will come out of the woodwork, it just depends how desperate you are to sell quickly.

tdog
    Free Member

Seriously!??

Would you like us to tuck you in bed with a hot milk and some cookies.

🤨

rickmeister

Carry on until this:

“I’ll send the cash by PayPal and I’ll ask my mate to pick it up for me and send it across”

kerley
    Free Member

How to NOT Get Scammed on a bike sale?

Don’t sell your bike to someone in another country.

bruneep

Don’t sell your bike to someone in another country

bought my current bike from someone in Germany. zero issues

sold a frame to someone in Poland. zero issues.

not everyone is a scammer. Just go with the vibe of the person be sensible about how you send money etc do checks on buyer/seller.

neil29679
    Free Member

Bank transfer or no deal.
    I sold a bike to a French guy posted to the local shop in ft. Bill. Woujcng post until the money was in my account.
    I did warn him after that he could get scammed easily in the future.

kerley
    Free Member

not everyone is a scammer.

No shit. However, to avoid any chance of getting scammed then sell locally for cash. While most sale would be fine using other processes the chances of a scam increase.

I sell stuff to people everywhere but only sell at prices I can afford to lose if it goes wrong.

shooterman

Thanks to all. Perhaps being a little neurotic having been scammed years ago.

bedmaker

I’m struggling to sell my Pole evolink frame as I won’t take PayPal.
    It’s a used frame, and I am not a shop.
    I don’t want to sell it only for the buyer to expect to be able to send it back (with PP backing) if they fancy.
    I’ve missed a few sales now.
    Will probably end up selling local for less money.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to NOT Get Scammed on a bike sale?’ is closed to new replies.