Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to make and name a new section/segment on Strava?
  • alpin
    Free Member

As above really….

Cutting a new section of trail and figure if I’m the first to name and ride I can claim the credit… Plus it’ll be my only chance at a KOM… 😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

don’t know but noted to check in if anyone else does.

DrP

Firstly – do you have the strava interweb page open on a PC or mackintosh….?

DrP

jam-bo

go to activity, click on the spanner, create segment.

they’ve changed the rules recently so it has to be over a certain length.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pretty easy.

1. Select and view the activity containing the segment.
    2. Click on the spanner icon, the first option is “Create Segment”
    3. On the page that appears is a map with a slider above it. Drag the green marker to where you want the segment to start and red one to where you want it to finish.
    4. Click next
    5. If your segment is similar to existing ones (I don’t know Strava’s criteria for this) either abandon or click the radio button next to “Create my Segment”
    6. Click next
    7. Name your segment and click create.

scotroutes

It’s not 100% clear from the above responses but you have to have ridden it and uploaded the activity before you can create the segment.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, yes. You don’t have the option in the spanner menu on someone else’s activities. You can only create segments from your own uploaded ones.

alpin
    Free Member

Hmmm…. Section is about 45-50m long and it’s just a diversion around a relatively boring but of straight line trail.

Guess I’ll have to ride it first, make the segment and then screenshot it for prosperity…. 8)

whitestone
    Free Member

Just had a play around with a ride I did last night. Looks like 300 metres or thereabouts is now the shortest you can now create.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Mine is the exact reverse of a 9 mile segment that currently exists (just the return leg home for example). Is there a simple “reverse segment” button?

Thank you

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I usually quote Alan Partridge

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t think so. Well, I’ve not seen one. As above – create it from an uploaded activity of yours.

Edit: Just had a thought(!) There’s a database behind the Strava interface, it’s entirely possible that there’s a rule that segments must always have a valid KOM time. If you just created one somehow and added it to the system it would effectively have a KOM time of zero seconds which is plainly wrong as no-one could ever beat it and would produce a divide by zero error when calculating the average speed for the segment.

scotroutes

Make your segment at least a few hundred meters long. The intricacies of GPS make short segments (like those that can be completed in less than 60 seconds) hard to time perfectly. You’re a rapidly moving object receiving a signal from another rapidly moving object orbiting around in space… tricky business for tiny distances.

😆

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

Make your segment at least a few hundred meters long. The intricacies of GPS make short segments (like those that can be completed in less than 60 seconds) hard to time perfectly. You’re a rapidly moving object receiving a signal from another rapidly moving object orbiting around in space… tricky business for tiny distances.

They assume I’m quick….. 😕

thomthumb
    Free Member

Two options for naming:

Roadie option – describe the section – ‘slight up’, ‘tree covered hill’, ‘steep up’ – in fairly generic terms. DO NOT consider using a geographically correct name such as White Hill, Gladstone Pass or similar.

MTB option – Describe the section, geographic terms are allowed this time, ‘descent to river’, ‘white hill climb’, ‘roller coaster ride’. DO NOT use the informal trail naming system that MTBs have been using since the repack era. Swollen uvula, F4 trail, repack etc. etc.

Hope that clarifies the conventions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to make and name a new section/segment on Strava?’ is closed to new replies.