• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cb.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to make an ebay bidder pay?
  • cb

Been trying to shift my 5 Spot frame and finally had a bid for the opening amount, which I accepted. This of course finished the auction.

How do I get the guy to pay as I’ve heard nothing from him?

yiman
    Free Member

You can’t. Give up and relist – EBay will automatically raise and then close a non-paying bidder case after a few days so you’ll get fees returned.

ajantom

How long?
    I did the non-paying bidder thing after someone bought some brakes on BIN, and then went AWOL for a few days.
    Doing the non-paying thing gives them 3 (maybe 4 days) before you can cancel and get fees back.
    In my case they suddenly payed with a couple of hours left to go.
    Nowt stranger than folk!

tomhoward

Been trying to shift my 5 Spot frame and finally had a bid for the opening amount, which I accepted. This of course finished the auction.

Why didn’t you let the auction run to see if you got more bids? If you ended the auction early, I don’t think the bidder has the option to pay, though it’s been a while since I did one.

Or did you do a buy it now or best offer?

cb

Offers can be made ‘offline’, which don’t start the auction – buyers use it to avoid the risk of having to pay more via auction.

This clown did that but has seemingly backed out, its been three days now.

granny_ring

Although not good form, 3 days isn’t ages really is it?
    Wait til end of weekend then contact Ebay if not paid.

mutepoint
    Free Member

@ajantom – I believe it’s called having a life in the real world.

😜

kerley
    Free Member

You cannot make an eBay buyer pay, it is as simple as that. You now have to open non payment wait and relist wasting around a week. The next buyer could then choose to not pay and another week goes by and so on. All the buyer gets is a non payment strike and when they get a number of them their account is closed. They then just open another account and do the same again.

I have been using Buy It Now with Immediate Payment required ticked for many years and never have any issues with payment anymore (because there can’t be issues) but guessing your bike is local pickup where immediate payment is not allowed anyway so you will just have to relist.

tthew

Offers can be made ‘offline’, which don’t start the auction – buyers use it to avoid the risk of having to pay more via auction.

Does this mean that the offer was made and accepted by a message, and not the proper make an offer tool? In that case you’re really stuffed and Kerley’s description of the non-payer thing won’t work.

cp

Does this mean that the offer was made and accepted by a message, and not the proper make an offer tool? In that case you’re really stuffed and Kerley’s description of the non-payer thing won’t work.

This have the option to do legit offers/acceptance through messages.

MrPottatoHead

You do have an option to cancel the auction yourself without delay, even if the auction has been won. Think you can only do a couple of times without a strike against your name.

jeff

I had a winning bidder not pay. eBay is pretty rubbish about this.

It was up to me to chase payment, then after 48 hrs I could cancel the sale + relist.

Stupidly, I made a 2nd chance offer to another bidder. He’s paid up but now hasn’t collected for over 2 weeks.

I just wanted to clear my shed out  – I think I’m giving up on selling on eBay 🙁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve recently had two winning bids on high ticket items that didn’t get paid. Had to walk away and re-list. Very annoying as they were well above the second place bid. I understand it isn’t uncommon for people to enjoy bidding on stuff they know they can’t afford. Like me wandering round a Ferrari dealership.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just relist, but if it’s this..
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turner-5-Spot-Frame-Black-26-2006-Horst-Link-Frame-Rockshox-RP3-shock/303714885534

I’d take another pic just showing the frame.

Loads of people see the pic and make a bid without reading the description.
    Maybe he thought he was getting all the other bits.

250 seems a lot for an old 26″ frame to me too, but who knows.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d take another pic just showing the frame.

Loads of people see the pic and make a bid without reading the description.
    Maybe he thought he was getting all the other bits.

+1, especially as there are close up pics of some of the components

Daffy

As above – strip it, clean it THEN sell it. Right now it just looks a state. You’re asking someone to pay at least £250, the least YOU could do would be to clean it properly.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If I am understanding this correctly you are saying that the offer was made circumventing E-Bay to try and save money in which case he is not an E-Bay bitter and you can do nothing about it . Re-list the item and get on with your life .

tthew

I asked that earlier, as the answer was

This have the option to do legit offers/acceptance through messages.

I’m still non the wiser. But then I found out he wanted £250 for a 14 year old, 26″ frame so lost all sympathy for him.

cb

The offer was legit through ebay, ‘offline’ probably the wrong phrase! I take the points about new photos needed.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to make an ebay bidder pay?’ is closed to new replies.