Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How to know if pigeon has abandoned its chicks?
  • Markie
    Free Member

So. Pigeons nest on the front of the house, have done for years.

I think there’s already been a set which have grown and flown. Currently 2 chicks in the nest, but mother hasn’t been seen for 2 days, and not there now (almost 11 at night).

What signs might there be that she’s not coming back? If I watch the nest for a few hours Tomorrow morning should I expect to see her?

Raised baby birds that have fallen out of nests before, but never taken them from a nest!

Thanks!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Assuming you’re in the UK You’re not allowed to take them from the nest. Leave it be.

Sometimes nature is a bitch. But the crows and magpies will clean it up if mother bird doesn’t.

tlr

Yep, leave them.

Of the 30+ eggs that were laid in 5 nests in our garden, only 4 fledged I think. One nest was abandoned at the egg stage, one got the eggs predated, one got the chicks predated and the two others just had a natural attrition rate.

I love birds and animals, but even I’m not convinced we are short of pigeons….!

Markie
    Free Member

Thank you both, appreciated.

eskay

I love birds and animals, but even I’m not convinced we are short of pigeons….!

Spot on, pigeon population around here is out of control!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How to know if pigeon has abandoned its chicks?’ is closed to new replies.