Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How to keep my dogs cool
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Any ideas I’ve got to leave my 3 dogs in kitchen next week which is also open plan with conservatory. Now they will be 4 hours at most at a time. But really worried bout heat in there. Only 2 little opening windows an mrs won’t leave French doors open. Help

pingu66
    Free Member

A quick way is a wet towel as when the water evaporates it draws heat from the dog or something. I have a coat that I bought that you wet and as the water evaporates etc but a towel is just as effective or a toweling coat. The dog could wear that but not sure for several hours.

I can look on line and see if I can find the specific coats if you wish.

project
    Free Member

Large bowl of cold water, over it hang a towel soaking wet and feeding from the bowl, then behind it and well clear of the water, put a large fan, the fan draught will evaporate the cold water from the towel and blow it into the room.

Dont put the fan close to the water as a woman in glasgow did that a few years ago, fan fell into water she went to pick it up and got electrocuted.

ritchic
    Free Member

Don’t know if that will last 4 hours though or will it. As they are all big labs.

ritchic
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound a bad idea. Just thought about hiring a air con unit for few days

pingu66
    Free Member

Air con units might be hard to get hold of right now! I like projects idea.

project
    Free Member

evaporative air coolers work the same way, big tank of water and a fan, an air con unit need a vent pipe to take out the warm air, like a tumble dryer, not a good idea leaving any windows open when house is not occupied.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Have you got a tiled kitchen floor?

If yes mop it with cold water and leave it wet before you go, even leave soaking wet towels spread across the ground.

A cheap kiddies paddling pool full of cold water left in the kitchen will help, but put them in it a day or two before hand to get them used to it and what it’s there for.

solarpowered
    Free Member

What temp does the room get to in this weather please? Have you measured it ? I would be very worried about leaving my dogs in these temperatures!…
    However, if you’re confident, water soaked bedding for them to flop on would help…. Being labs though with a naturally water repellent coat its not ideal 😕

Big fan! Yes, buy a big fan!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Get a mate (or STW poster) to dog sit?

Drac

Can’t keep my dog out of the kids’ paddling pool at the moment, he hates water normally only normally just go up his legs a little.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member
    ritchic
    Free Member

I doubt I could leave them with paddling pool. I think my kitchen may get flooded

banks
    Free Member

same with our BT drac! usually just goes in up to his chest – he can’t get enough of the hosepipe atm – even dragging it around with him!

Labs left in kitchen/conservatory worries me tbh, gotta leave the doors open and a paddling pool!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Get them into jazz. Jazz is always cool.

mrmoofo

Dogs cool down through panting and losing heat from their paws. They don’t seat per se.

I would have though putting a towel on the radiator will only increase humidity

Big bowl of water – small windows open , but windows open upstairs to allow a through draft

Drac

same with our BT drac! usually just goes in up to his chest – he can’t get enough of the hosepipe atm – even dragging it around with him!

Hahah yeah he’s been loving that too catching the water spray.

Inbred456
    Free Member

I think the easy thing here is to give them the run of the house for the day. Shut doors to important rooms but let them wander to a shaded cool part of the house. They wont cause to much damage surely and you’ll have piece of mind they will be ok.

Dogs are for the whole house not just for kitchens!!!

petrieboy

Monty loves a raw meat icelolly when its really hot. Won’t last 4 hours tho.

obelix
    Free Member

Keep their coats clipped as short as possible, something that should be done for the whole summer in general

CountZero

A cheap kiddies paddling pool full of cold water left in the kitchen will help, but put them in it a day or two before hand to get them used to it and what it’s there for.

They’re Labs, they’re genetically pre-disposed to diving into any water that’s handy! For my brother’s Lab, Honey, that’s usually the horse trough or the brook where the horse is kept. It’s getting her out that’s the problem!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How to keep my dogs cool’ is closed to new replies.