Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to improve my commute?
  • nicholas_yiu

I did 3 years cycle commute in London + 2 years in Swindon so not new to this. I am now in Sunderland and live just over 6 miles from work, always wanted to start doing it again since I moved here.

The truth is it’s just too windy so it was too much effort. I would have done it more regularly but it was just too much bother having to get change and shower for 6 miles. I didn’t start doing it here regular till end of February, (nearly 4 years in) ebike was the main change but I love it now as I can do it in my work clothes without having to shower.

I had 2 “encounters” with cars in the first couple of weeks since I started. Both times I wasn’t in any danger due to the usual road survival skills learnt over the years but I ended up going on quieter routes anyways. I had none since until yesterday and today.

Yesterday, I stopped waiting to turn right, outside a school as well. I made the mistake of leaving room for a car to pass on my left. Someone did a pass so fast and close with their windows down shouting something (didn’t hear what it was) I nearly fell into the opposite lane. That’s the only time I felt being in danger cycling on the road in years.

Then this morning, someone didn’t see me coming out of a junction and a punishment pass on my way home. Wasn’t in any danger either times but just wasn’t nice.

That’s 3 “encounters” out of 4 journeys this week. I wear appropriate clothing (bright colours but not hi-vis) and have good lights. My journey consist of 3 miles offroad, 2 on quiet back streets and only 1 on main roads. I think I share the road with around 10 cars on average on my way into work and about 20 cars on my way home. It just doesn’t make sense the amount of trouble I get on my journeys.

What recommendations would you have to make my commute safer?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On the way in, which until the last few months has usually been before rush hour, I take the most direct route in which involves using A-roads for ~2 miles (albeit a lot of that now is a bus lane since last summer).

On the way home, I take a longer meander that avoids A-roads. If it’s near school finish time and/or I’m not feeling energetic, I take the slightly longer option with less average gradient and less overall climbing.

Approx 4 vs 5.5 miles.

joepud
    Free Member

Honestly get a camera, it wont make you any safer but will give you evidence when something happens. Im like 10 odd years into london cycling life and have had similar experiences. I got close passed this morning too and actually by the same drive (dpd delivery guy) on the same road as a few weeks ago. Im now sat on my laptop researching go pro vs insta360.

I feel like given how stressed everyone generally is these days the standard of driving has gotten WAY worse.

nicholas_yiu

I did think about using my go pro but it’s just too much trouble for the 10 minutes that I spend on the road.

For me, unless it’s something that’s permanently wired into the ebike battery and starts automatically when the bike is switched on, it’s too much bother. I just wish such a product exist. Maybe when more people start using ebikes.

I didn’t think commuting in London was too bad as there are so many of us.

I have never seen any other cyclists on the road round here on my commute so I guess I am an easy target.

Daffy

Can you commute at friendlier times?

Mine is a nightmare between 07:30 and 09:00 and between 17:00 and 18:30, but outside of those times is actually quite pleasant

joepud
    Free Member

For me, unless it’s something that’s permanently wired into the ebike battery and starts automatically when the bike is switched on, it’s too much bother. I just wish such a product exist. Maybe when more people start using ebikes.

Totally see where you’re coming from. I already have a Garmin and lights in the winter I really don’t want another thing hanging off my bike. Sadly I have got to that point where im fed up of close passes and dangerous driving i want something to use as evidence if the worst happens.

RustyNissanPrairie

Honestly? Just drive.
    I’ve been in the same job for 17 years – it’s just over 6 miles from home.
    I’ve had dedicated commuter bikes including an ebike, ridden all seasons and have excellent roadmanship but I got to a point where it was stressing me out.
    I realised that the whole system is set against cycling;
    There isn’t any decent infrastructure and the roads are knackered
    No continued education for drivers – close passes
    Constant anti cycling media – it feels like war out on the roads at times
    Lenient punishment for drivers involved against cyclists.

I wasn’t inspiring anyone else to cycle – I never really met anyone else doing my route.

I’m happier now in my car or van, radio4 on sat in traffic. The government know what to do to lower CO2 emissions but until they do the things above then I’m going to drive and arrive home happier

dyna-ti

Do what I did once. Kept going.
    Cycled right past the butchers shop I was working in one morning and kept going up to Bowling harbour just outside Glasgow.
    Apparently they watched me go past 😆 Didn’t like that shop anyhow 😆

djflexure

The Varia radar is a good gadget – probably less useful if there are lots of cars

Early warning something is coming, tells you how many cars and indication of how fast they are approaching

I use it on training rides as my commute is 15 miles off road, not the most direct route but better than dealing with city traffic

ta11pau1

I’d get rid of the 1 mile of main road, there must be an alternative route, even if it’s a few miles longer.

DezB
    Free Member

Anything except what RustyNiassanPrairie says.

Have been commuting by bike since the 90s and never considered giving it up and becoming ‘one of them’. Since working from home due to lockdown, I really miss it, so usually go for a ride before I start work. Still get the odd can’t-drive-for-toffee dickhead, but they’re just a minor annoyance and calling them a **** gets it over and done with. I think this is a case for the old internet cliché.. MTFU. 😉

crazy-legs

I reckon it’s a temporary blip.

Coming out of lockdown, a lot of people haven’t driven anywhere near as much as they normally would; the few journeys they have made have generally been on quieter roads than usual so to be back with the stress of the school run, the drive to work, the extra traffic is causing moments of insanity.

You get the same in October when the clocks go back and people who haven’t driven in darkness for 6 months suddenly find that their normal drive home is now pitch dark. The standards of driving around that time are noticeably lower and then it improves* once people are used to it again.

*”improves” is a relative term, but it does go from “utterly appalling” to just “slightly shit”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to improve my commute?’ is closed to new replies.