Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How to go 1×10
  • bigred1989
    Free Member

Ok so I’m thinking of going 1×10, currently have a full XT 2×10 setup and I’m prepping my bike for the alps next year, or in the process of doing it anyway, with the mind of the simpler it is the less that can go wrong.

This is on a new bike, my previous bike I ran 3×10 SLX and pretty much stayed in middle ring all the time. Was thinking of trialling the change with my old SLX tripple crank, with just a 32T chainring. In my head this will work because the middle ring will be on centre chain line, and if works well I can put a bash guard in place of the large chain ring.

Any thoughts? Is this the right way to have a go at it or am I missing something?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Sounds good to me

bigred1989
    Free Member

yeah seems to make sense in my head, the idea is if all goes well, have a hope narrow wide retainer chain ring on the middle, hope bash guard on outer, and the hope 40T-Rex thing on the cassette, and when my rear mech wears out/breaks, have a zee short cage on the back aswell..

RobHilton
    Free Member

Will a short cage handle the 40tooth sprocket?

carlos
    Free Member

I did just that and not had any issues although still in the dark ages on 9spd. It’s a better chain line on the middle from a 3x than the 2x too

jam-bo

Will a short cage handle the 40tooth sprocket?

Nope. I asked hope.

bigred1989
    Free Member

well atleast thats ironed out before I bought a new rear mech!

bigred1989
    Free Member

the only other problem I can think of that I haven’t looked at yet is my new bike is a cube stereo 160 super hpc sl blah blah blah, but has press fitt BB, and I don’t know the width of it, but presuming my old SLX crankset will fit???

domderbyshire
    Free Member

My Zee mech (FR) runs with a 40t cog with no problem at all. I used it in the Alps and, with 32 up front, found the gearing fine.

bigred1989
    Free Member

there is enough clearance between the 40T ring and the mech’s top guide sprocket?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Yes. Hope supplied a longer B screw, so no problems there.

chip
    Free Member

I have double and bash at the moment, soon to be going 1×10.
    32t RF n/w ring arrived this morning . Received an email this morning from the fatherland to say my xt 16t sprocket had been despatched and also have a 11-36 cassette and T. Rex also in the post from elsewhere.

I have a long cage xt clutch mech on the bike already and a spare med cage one in the parts bin.
    Would the med cage work with a 40t sprocket.

Also I have amassed a few spare 32 & 34t rings bought cheap In sales which Iam thinking would now be of no use as the are ramped and pinned for shifting.

So has anyone used triple middle rings in a 1×10 set up with out dropping the chain .

domderbyshire
    Free Member

It looks like this.

bigred1989
    Free Member

That looks pretty sweet!! I’m pretty much sold on it now, its just taking that leap and spending the dollar, bit of a scary change for me as i’m not that fit at the best of times and prone to just spinning it out in the granny to get up the hill :-/ but thinking with a 32T chainring, and the 40 at the back it will be some happy medium between spinning in the granny to get up the hill and me pulling my finger out and trying harder

pembo6
    Free Member

I have used a 32t ramped middle ring for several months. No problem with my 1×8 setup. Never lost a chain.
    On a hardtail though.

oldnick

Anyone else found going 1X10 makes the gear shift a bit stiffer?
    Wouldn’t be a problem except for a bit of arthritis in my thumb 🙁

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Just bear in mind if you decide to keep the double crankset you wont be able to use the 32 tooth ring, minimum clearance is 34 unless you use washers.

Didnt find going 1×10 made the shifting stiffer??? no reason it would, rear setup is identical to 2 or 3 x 10. fitting a 40/42 tooth rear sproket on the other hand dramatically increases the stiffness when shifting down due to the extra tension required to get the derailleur in the correct position…

elliott-20
    Free Member

Just gone 1×10 myself. Not convinced the need for a range expander ring at the back but then I’ve dropped from a 36 tooth double to a 32 single. I also run a road training SS bike with a 38/16 so I guess I’m just used to it.

Anyone else found going 1X10 makes the gear shift a bit stiffer?

I think the shimano shifters have become ‘surer’ rather than stiffer. My old 9sp XT did feel lighter compared to the newer saint ‘CLICK – THUNK’ shift.

oldnick

Oops forgot to say 42t dinner-plate on the back, b-screw is in balls deep too.
    Even the 11-13 shift is stiffer, at which point the chain tension isn’t all that.
    I presume Shimano’s silky geometry is compromised by my enthusiastic bodging?

GolfChick
    Free Member

We’ve both gone 1×10 one with 30t narrow wide fronts, I’m on a triple sixc and James is on a single ring next sl. We both went with hope retainers etc. no chain drops and they both run okay. With the release of the Chris king adapter I’m seriously considering swapping to SRAM tho having test ridden a mates with it. It would allow me to go 34t on the front and have the same climb gear but a faster pedal gear, which as the forest was drying out I started to need.

grtdkad

One of my HTs is 1×10 (32 up front and 11-36). I rarely miss the granny ring, but I do often miss the benefit of a 42 gear up front for cracking-on and descending. Always spinning out 🙁

bigred1989
    Free Member

well ive just had my double crank off the bike and stripped, measured and compared everything with my old slx triple, all looks good so have gone ahead and ordered a hope 32t chain ring and bashguard!! can’t wait to test it out now!

jimification
    Free Member

Feedback Pro Ultralight. Expensive but aluminium and very well made. Small / light enough to stick in the back of the car for races etc. It also folds / unfolds quick enough that it’s not a pain to store it folded up even if you use it every day.

chickenman

Not convinced the need for a range expander ring at the back

+1.
    Running a 30t NW with a 11-36; really don’t see a need for a lower gear. Not recently ridden anything downhill that required pedalling so don’t know yet how frustrating I’ll find the lack of harder gears.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How to go 1×10’ is closed to new replies.