Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • How to get the wife into cycling/MTBing ?
  • Premier Icon scaled

I dragged my mrs round 18 miles and ~3500ft of the peak districts finest, we stopped at a pub halfway round and it was all good 😀

Helps that she was used to riding mental horses so was a nice change that at least the thing she was riding wasn’t trying to kill her as well.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Some Zwift to assertain her fitness and stamina levels?

Women’s Voodoo Marasa is currently £320, great spec hybrid for price, albeit another ~£130 would get something closer to ~11Kg with default spec and a carbon rigid fork such as a Boardman.

Premier Icon weeksy

She did a few zwifts back in the day about 18 months back, but not sure why, but she didn’t really get into it.
    If I’m honest, I think time with me and our boy is as it maybe more important than the actual fitness benefits for her.

The bike side of things isn’t really an issue, if she gets into riding she’ll get a good bike, pretty much as cut and dried as that.
    Regards to spanner stuff, I do 99% of jobs myself and love spannering, so no issue with that at all.

Premier Icon MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Their are other skill instructors than just Jedi.
    I am sure there is a company that do skill training at Swinley, so if that local and be trails you ride might be good to do it there, it help with her been and doing trails she riding before etc.

And a good instructor will teach to the level of the rider.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

To come out and join on a trail ride with you and the lad? at some point some technique is going to need to be learnt – that could be from you in a more casual drawn out way, could be a paid instructor as an intensive day, I guess you know each other and whether option A will end in divorce or not.
    Expecting otherwise is going to leave at least one or probably all 3 of you having a bad time.
    Do it right and there could be a family week riding in Morzine in a few years 🙂

Alternatively, a family countryside ride as a distinct, separate activity in addition to what you do with your son, could be what she’s after… biking is quite varied like that.

Any healthy adult with the ability to ride a bike in a straight line and possessing a certain amount of will power can get round the Swinley blue (with dismounting and walking if required). That doesn’t mean it would be a) enjoyable, b) a technique learning experience c) useful exercise.

Standing up on everything but the easy straight bits, using both brakes correctly, and leaning the bike into the corners are blindingly obvious to you and me but not to the novice. And is quite different (or even the exact opposite) to efficiently and casually riding on a road or bike path.

Getting those 3 points across could take 5 minutes or 5 years; but get them, a basic amount of fitness and hit the right balance between scared and kamikaze – and she’ll be pretty much set.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Oh and if I remember right – you’re quite a classic technique, no dropper rider. Nothing against that but its a technique to be learnt.

Mrs W Starting from scratch – please try dropping your seat. Its a revelation.

Premier Icon weeksy

Can’t realky, her seat she likes a bit low so isn’t really able to drop it at this stage, I know that could arguably say the bike is too big, but her standover and reach is pretty correct. I think she needs the seat higher on flat so the dropper may help with that.
    Either way, it will be fitted when she’s using it yes.
    We also have the option of a mates Zesty for winter in a M which will fit her better

Premier Icon dissonance

Their are other skill instructors than just Jedi.

Be worth seeing, since the OP mentions has gone there in past, whether he could do a private session across an entire talent range but my guess would be it might not work. Having had a session from Jedi it was damned good but then again had some kayak coaches who whilst damned good I know avoided beginners since they knew they werent suited to it.
    Places like Plas y Brenin do introductory sessions including women only which might be better suited and I suspect most trail centres will have an equivalent although cant see an obvious match for Swinley.

Premier Icon uphillcursing
    Free Member

The club I am member of has male and female certified instructors. The female only sessions are always oversubscribed. I would look at a female only skills session if that is what you think she wants. Otherwise, just dial it back. Supposed to fun for everyone. I know i would have no fun riding with someone way beyond me in ability and fitness, why would she?

Premier Icon weeksy

I know i would have no fun riding with someone way beyond me in ability and fitness, why would she?

Where did i say that was going to be the case ? Whilst i may be above her in skill and fitness, i never said i’d try and force her to ride at my level.

Don’t forget, this is her request, her want and her desire, i’m not trying to force her into something she doesn’t want to do. She’s requested to join in with us, so i’m trying to figure the best way to do that, both by asking her and asking others on here. I’m not dragging her out kicking and screaming down BPW blacks on her first run.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

If the zesty is a M, which will fit her better, then is the T130 a L?
    That’s gotta have a long effective top tube reach and standover, or is the T130 a M but newer geo, long tt etc
    Still think small frame and dropper would be better so she had the pretend security of always being able to put a foot down to stop crashing
    Why not ask Tony if he could a ladies learner day might become a thing and ideal birthday gift for the one you love
    Center parks has soft mtb trails
    New forest too and loads of ponies

Premier Icon weeksy

T130 is an L but a 16/17 so the older shorter geometry.
    Zesty is a 26″ wheeled M.

Premier Icon tjagain

All i can say is it has to be FUN. Thr secind it becomes a mega effort or in the slightest bit scary, then you will get a massive turn off.
    We ride bikes, and we under estimate how competent we are to a non MTB rider. Just make it fun to get her hooked and then make haste slowly.
    Oh, and have fun!!

This times 100!

Premier Icon tjagain

Dare I say – try a tandem?

Premier Icon weeksy

Dare I say – try a tandem?

Neither of us have any interest in that sorry.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Just go to Swinley … plan to use fire roads except the bits she’s comfortable… then discover the bits she’s uncomfortable. i.e. is it “steep” or (roll-able) “drops” or whatever.

There is nothing on the official trials can’t be done on a road bike – the T-130 is more than capable but learning to trust the bike is different. Unless she is comfortable with the bike then anything can seem daunting but the brakes work and everything can just be done slowly.

If you do Swinley you know it so well you can just avoid any bits she is uncomfortable and then find some bits where she can push a little on comfort. (Even just rolling off a 6″ root… and feeling how the bike adsorbs it ..)

Premier Icon TiRed

Neither of us have any interest in that sorry

Where did it say it had to be you and her? 😉 My best rides were on my kiddyback with the kids. My nephew now captains my nieces on the same bike.

Premier Icon bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I’m with TJ here as I was going to say tandem too and I wouldnt dismiss it that quickly, it’ll improve your riding, push both of your fitness levels and your skills a lot, my wife hasnt had her own bike for years now and we now just ride tandems when we ride together. Its a niche scene but good fun, its taken us loads of places riding that I may never have been such as the Kingdom Trails in Vermont this year riding the trails there with 10 other tandems. I’m not that far away from you I think, little bit south of Farnham if wanted to try it out for a couple of hours.

Premier Icon weeksy

Move on from the Tandems fellas, honestly…. move on… You couldn’t be further off the mark if you suggested unicycles

Premier Icon tjagain

Mrs TJ and I have sort of been thru the situation you are now in and that led us to the tandem as the best compromise

years ago we used to tour a lot in a roughstuff style but both became frustrated with our different approach, skills level and fitness to the point we virtually stopped cycling together. The tandem ironed out these differnces.

Mrs TJ did buy a decent MTB and got some skills training but still found in general we had more fun together on the tandem than with her constantly trailing behind me and me constantly having to slow down to see where she was. We even had a few trips to glentress where she rode blues on her solo and me reds. But then that was two separate rides meeting up every hour or so rather than riding together.

Me trying to coach her caused rows

So eventually the tandem became the most used bike as on it was when we had the most fun together.

Try borrowing one for a weekend and see how you get on. Not all couples can cope with one but for us it certainly was the key to riding together and having fun. If you lived anywhere near me I would happily let you borrow ours.

Is astonishing how tricky stuff you can ride on a tandem so it need not spoil you fun of enjoying the gnarr ( so long as you do not scare her on the back) I was astonished how good it made us both feel to be able to do a nice smooth run down spooky woods on it and the day we finally got both wheels in the air was great.

Getting older now and bouncing less well means we have dialled it back a bit. However the tandem is still the best fun I have ever had on any bike

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

I think a skills course only works once you have identified issues with your riding or have a hunger for certain improvements. That comes with getting out there and seeing features you want to beat.
    I got my wife into it by starting as I did with the kids, small features and small triumphs, until they say OOh I wish I could do that drop or corner like that. Then boom the hunger is there and off you go to Jedi.
    But you need to be patient, what to you is simple is terrifying to some.

And Tandems?

Premier Icon senorj

I would just do local xc routes from the door. Build up the skills over time. Then go to swinley.
    Treat the ride as a recovery one for you if you like. & a bike that fits.
    Have you considered a tandem?
    😉

Premier Icon weeksy

I would just do local xc routes from the door. Build up the skills over time. Then go to swinley.

It’s seeming the best plan. That way we can take in the cafe stop etc too to help there along with a few little woods sections etc. Only downside is some of the routes over to the woodsy bits are a bit dull, but hey, that’s a problem we all face at times.
    Going the other direction is into the clay/slop of the Ridgeway which again, is entertaining (in a bad way)

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.