Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to get the best out of an ancient combi boiler?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

We live in an 18th century 2 bedroom cottage, which we rent, with no insulation and one of the first combi boilers which was installed in 1997 and there is no thermostat. Our gas bill is pretty heinous for 2 hours heat in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening when we switch to a wood burner. Hot water use is basically limited to my wife showering in the morning and me showering at night or after a bike ride. The bill for our tiny house is £80 a month for gas.

We can’t do anything about the ancient, crap boiler. It’s been condemned once by Worcester Bosch but later uncondemed by our landlord’s father in law who is a heating engineer. It breaks down twice a year. The landlord won’t change it and we’re moving out this autumn anyway.

When we moved in our neighbour, who is a heating engineer, came round to fix it for the first time and pointed out that it was a combi boiler and we should switch from having the hot water on a timer (2hrs morning, 2hrs evening) to on all the time. In our old house with a brand new combi boiler that was fine but I can’t help but think that with this decrepit hunk of junk we’d save a hell of a lot switching to having it on twice a day again, or maybe just in the daytime.

Anyone got any advice on what will be most efficient? I can’t face being in debit to our gas company when we leave by the amount we are in now.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Wear jumpers.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m wearing a jumper and a coat in the house at the minute.

dannybgoode

A combi boiler should only fire up for hot water when you turn a hot tap on so yes, the hot water should be on 24/7.

If the boiler fires up without a hot tap being run(or the heating of course) then it is either not a combi boiler or it’s very broken.

Can’t help with the radiator side of things…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Have you considered sabatarge?

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m assuming that it gets a CP12 gas inspection every year ..which would highlight any faults on the system ( and could well have it condemned if it is as bad as you say it is .)

The landlord must conform to any recommendations on the inspection form ..if he does not he is breaking the law and you should get in touch with your local council who will enforce the findings .

Good luck !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to get the best out of an ancient combi boiler?’ is closed to new replies.