Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to get the bb out of the sleeves and what Loctite compound?
  • granny_ring

Forgot to soak them in gt85 or penetrating spray tonight so will do that first thing in the morning, then what… 🙂

Need to be careful not to mess up the sleeves.

Then bond them back in the carbon frame. So what to use, loctite 638 or another line or something else completely?

http://www.loctite.co.uk/retaining-9171.htm

Bottom bracket shell is like this.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Try a pan of boiling water to expand the aluminium. One of the crown race removers in two halves with the square shaped hole in them might help. Could cut some slots in the old cups and collapse them inwards.

Or, bond the sleeves back into the frame, then once that’s fully set, then press them out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Or, get a machine shop to make some new ones.

granny_ring

Cheers,  I’ll try the boiling water trick and whacking with the cup remover later.

granny_ring

Right I got the bleeders out,  the trusty hammer screw driver, cold chisel & hacksaw came into play 🙂

So it’s loctite the sleeves into the frame next, if anyone can help with advising which loctite to use I’d appreciate it it. Semi-permanent I think the bike shop said.

I’m tempted to go for a wheels manufacturing screw together type bb, if so reckon it would be best fit it the same time as bonding the sleeves in the frame so it cures in place or best to bond the cups in first then fit the bb?

Cheers

Poopscoop

I think I’d be inclined to fit the BB so you know the cups are in nice and snug to the frame as the loctite cures.

Not sure which loctite to use are there are frigging loads of them!

One of the ones to retain bearings in place at a guess?

damascus
    Free Member

It sounds like you want a fit and forget BB so I’d buy hope. They screw together and don’t creek.

granny_ring

Yeah was thinking the same poop

Didn’t know Hope did a similar bb will have a look ta.

granny_ring

Don’t think Hope do a screw together bb for this frame.

granny_ring

Wish their contact page was easier to use so if anyone has any idea sometime today if either of those or another world work ok for what I need that would be fab thanks.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Loctite DP 490 structural epoxy adhesive is what I would use to bind metal to carbon such as bearing housings

https://www.selfadhesive.co.uk/3m-scotch-weld-epx-high-performance-epoxy-adhesive-dp490-50ml.html

granny_ring

Ok thanks, I’ll have look at that later.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to get the bb out of the sleeves and what Loctite compound?’ is closed to new replies.