• This topic has 63 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • How to get money back from sister in law
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

i’d like to punch you two in the face!

piha
    Free Member

Didn’t say that I agreed with it, just can’t argue with it. 😆

jmason
    Free Member

Is she still at uni ? Students at all uni’s have acess to a hardship fund, which is to help people out in situations like this. I would ask her if she’s been down this route.

Doh1Nut

So if this is your wifes sister – what does she say?
    I bet you did not volunteer with out some persuasion.

jota180
    Free Member

Move on is not the way i will have my vengeance!

And that attitude will end up chewing you up a lot more than it will her.
    Fine, have a plan to get your money back but keep your sanity and dignity in the process and don’t let it become an obsession.

peterfile
    Free Member

Go into her house, remove every left shoe.

Only return the left shoes once she has repaid you.

I did this to someone in 2004, ended up in court. I got my money, and he got his shoes back.

allthepies
    Free Member

From her mothers analysis of the situation it would appear that her daughter shares the same attitude.

wwaswas

If it were me I’d let my wife sort it out.

It’s her family and I wouldn;t want to be seen to be driving a wedge between her and them by taking any action (or peeing her off with inaction).

Let your wife decide what she wants to do and then back her up 100%.

(but do suggest that you don;t do any family loans/guarantees again)

smell_it
    Free Member

i’d like to punch you two in the face!

You are not on your own.

BigJohn

I’ve never understood why the Christians seem to have hijacked forgiveness, and act as if it’s something that’s unique to them.

Forgiving somebody (a deed or a loan) is incredibly cathartic. Once you’ve done it you will save yourself a lifetime of bitterness and anger. And give you a nice smug feeling too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

why not find out why she’s not paying? perhaps she’s got some other problems she’s not telling you about that could be serious?

This.

Nah – she’s a stude so she’ll be blowing it getting pissed on cheap cider.

alpin
    Free Member

go to the old bill and say that you think she is dealing weed. do this just after her and her fella have picked up.

it’ll screw her up for the next few weeks, months and if you’re lucky years.

or run her over one dark night. no, don’t do that as she might end up with compo from the state (i.e. your money).

what ever you do, do something to hurt her.

BigJohn

I will admit, Alpin, your way does sound much more fun than mine.

hels
    Free Member

Does she have a car ? Go around and lift the keys, park it somewhere she will never find it, don’t give it back until she pays.

wwaswas

Go around and lift the keys, park it somewhere she will never find it, don’t give it back until she pays.

trouble with that is that she can call the police and suddenly the OP has a criminal record for car theft…

Gunz
    Free Member

I don’t know all about this forgive and forget stuff. If I didn’t relentlessly pursue this money until I had every last penny back, it would niggle me constantly.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So what does your wife say?

I for one would never, ever lend money or be guarantor to my brother in law.

BigJohn

I don’t know all about this forgive and forget stuff.

I didn’t say forget. But as you’re not going to get it back anyway, why not try to do something to make you feel better?

ourmaninthenorth

First job, speak to the landlord. Have they now been paid in full?

Ask for:

(1) a receipt for what you have paid; and
    (2) written confirmation that your liability as guarantor is fully and finally discharged and that no further liability will accrue.

Then you can decide if you go after your sister in law, but my advice would be to turn the other cheek (and your back) and leave it at that.

EDIT: don’t automatically assume that you have any right of recovery of the money against your sister in law anyway.

footflaps

We’ve written off £6k in unpaid rent for a tenant, with a young baby, who lost her job, stopped paying rent, was deemed voluntarily homeless by the council (ie she should have been able to pay the rent) and took 8 months to evict. We have a court debt order, but chasing a homeless mum for money she doesn’t have, and probably never will, is pretty pointless. Just let it go…..

I felt so bad enforcing the eviction order, changing the locks and turfing her out onto the street.

alpin
    Free Member

revenge is sweet.

watch the austrian film “Revanche”.

do not let the woman get away with it. pester your missus till she screams and shouts at her sister. in fact i’m surprised that you do not mention that your missus is even a bit pissed off with it all. i’d be tempted to take the money from your missus if she doesn’t see it as her problem/responsibility.

is your FIL still around? how does he see it?

enter her phone number in every bit of junk mail you recieve.
    enter their address on every mailing list you can.
    complain to the council (anonymously!) that they are bad nieghbours and let their dog crap in the street.
    give their address to the local jehovas.

really piss them off.

it won’t get your money back, but in the meantime it’ll give you some pleasure.

hora
    Free Member

What does her sister say/think?

Park it. Pay it with the understanding that neither of you talk to her again until the debt is made good.

Mid-20s. We lent my bro in law thousands in our mid20s. Money we found hard to find but he was always willing (and did) payback. If she childish at that age its hopeless/pointless.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Send here a scam email like the ones here

Scam letters on singletrack with hilarious consequences

Asking for £2000 for a part share in a pot plantation with dividends paid out in the form of quality pot posted to her on a monthly basis?

hora
    Free Member

Footflaps but they got 8months free rent.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘How to get money back from sister in law’ is closed to new replies.