Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How to get a Camera to talk to my GPS???
  • Jenga
    Free Member

I remember a few years ago there was talk of some freeware/shareware type facility that would allow a picture on my camera/laptop to talk to my GPS, so that details of the time and place when the photo was taken could be recorded somewhere on the picture details. I've googled unsucessfully, but as I don't know what I'm looking for that not surprising.

Have any of you snappers on here come across such a thing, and if so any clues as to where I can obtain a download?

simon_g

Not that I've come across for generic GPS units.

Eye-Fi do a SD card that can figure out where it is, but it does it from wifi hotspots, not GPS, so no good in the countryside. There are some GPS-enabled cameras these days, I've also seen an unit for Nikon DSLRs that sits in the flash hotshoe and adds the geotags. Plus of course, the GPS-enabled smartphones will tend to tag their pics (the iPhone does, at least).

mossimus
    Free Member

Without knowing what camera you have could not say if you can 'get them to talk'

If you take your GPS with you when taking photos you can add the coordinates to the photo later using software. You store the coordinates in the pictures EXIF data so try googling EXIF and GPS

cb

The new Panny TZ10 has a GPS built in (I think). Not what you need now but might be help for future or others?

Milkie
    Free Member

If you take your GPS with you when taking photos you can add the coordinates to the photo later using software. You store the coordinates in the pictures EXIF data so try googling EXIF and GPS

Yeah That.

It's called Geotagging, there are a few different bits of software that do the same thing. Geotag springs to mind.

I use my camera's (g10/450d/iphone) with my Edge with no problems. Just make sure all the times are the same, otherwise the photo's will be in the wrong GPS position!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use gpicsync which does this when you get them home. It relies on the clock in the camera being correctly set, and you have to set the correction to 1 (hour) during BST

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ooh simon, you're full of useful stuff!

CountZero

As cb sez, the Lumix TZ10 out this year will have built-in GPS to geotag photos as you take them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Don't think he's looking for a new camera!

Jenga
    Free Member

Just tried that gpicsync. Not bad at all. Many thanks for the tip sfb.

druidh
    Free Member

If you're using an MS operating system, you might also want to try Pro Photo Tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/tools.aspx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to get a Camera to talk to my GPS???’ is closed to new replies.