Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how to fix a loose lower headset cup?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

hi,
    im tarting up an old steel frame of reasonable good quality but have realised the lower headset cup is loose.its been moving about combined with a little corrosion so is no longer a tight fit.its a steel frame and not worth lots of money investing in it but i wondered if i could use a vice to perhaps nip the headset tube or the cup itself to make it slightly of round and then it would hopefully grip a little better?
    anyone else doe this or any other ideas?
    cheers!

bencooper
    Free Member

If you do that, then the bearings won’t like it. Araldite is the second-best answer assuming you don’t have access to a knurling tool.

Check the head tube hasn’t flared or cracked, though.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

you can manually knurl it with a centre punch, this is what I did to fix a loose crown race.

Otherwise a wrap or two of PTFE tape?

sillyoldman

FSA Pig headset has deeper insertion and might hit a better part of your head tube. Needed to do this on an old Kona Cindercone frame I had as it was slightly stretched….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Coke can.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i’d probably try a coke can shim first.

imp999
    Free Member

Loctite bearing fit.
    Or if more filler required, that two-part metal filler thinned with meths.

PePPeR

Loctite bearing fit stuff and some centre punching to give it something to grip too, would be best of both.

JoeG
    Free Member

1. Oversize headset cups are available from Chris King.

2. Or knurl the headset with one of these.

3. But bearing retaining compound would be a LOT cheaper!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 loctite retaining compound. Mega strong stuff.

odannyboy
    Free Member

so how do you knurl it with a centre punch?.dent the tube externally to create lumps internally?

stoffel
    Free Member

I’ve used Araldite Rapid Steel adhsive for this exact problem. Worked perectly. Headset cup can still beremoved from frame (will probably need sanding to remove the adhesive but not a big issue). Bearing rreataining compund might work, but if the gap is too much, it might not be as effective as the above.

crogthomas
    Free Member

so how do you knurl it with a centre punch?.dent the tube externally to create lumps internally?

No, punch on the inside. The pock-mark will have a raised ridge around the edge like a crater.

I’d try bearing-fit first though. Easier.

bencooper
    Free Member

The Stein thing is what I use. Fantastic bit of kit, though perhaps a bit pricey for a one-off job 😉

nosaintangel
    Free Member

Done it with a coke can shim.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how to fix a loose lower headset cup?’ is closed to new replies.