• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How to find things you (probably) put in a safe place
  • single07
    Free Member

it’s just a window fitting which i was getting annoyed with lying arround my workshop, but i knew i’d need to sooner or later, having bought it for a certain window.
    now i have paid work to do, just across my garden, for which i need it, and i can’t find it for the life of me.

tactics please!

i have turned the workshop upside down , more or less, and look in the worksite, which is mostly empty so would be easy to see.

i’m clearly desperate asking on here…

maccruiskeen

Window fittings are attracted to the smell of Honey Badger Milk.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Buy another one. When it arrives, put it in a safe place – the original will be there.

In the present circumstances, it might be enough just to pretend to have bought one.

leffeboy

Buy another one. The first will then immediately appear

Edit:34 SECONDS. Just too slow

701arvn
    Free Member

Sadly, I don’t think you should get your hopes up.

Replacement oil for the treadmill arrived today but the bottle, which I know is in the office, remains lost.

scaredypants

single07 – does that mean you live alone?

that’s negated my most likely suggestion

joat

It’ll be in the last place you think to look, so look there first. Good luck!

Cougar

You can’t, it’s not possible. “Putting something in a safe place” has been a running joke in my house for years, IME it’ll probably turn up in the fridge or something.

sockpuppet

Of course it’s always in the last place you look: once you find it *you stop looking*.

tthew

See also “where did you have it last?”. Well it I knew that, it wouldn’t be bloody lost would it!

amodicumofgnar

Unexpectedly and generally months or years later.

The best one being XT pedals – 4.5 years. I’d even looked in the place I found them a couple of times.

crazy-legs

Start looking for something else. Something random like the user guide for your TV or the mobile phone you had before the one you’ve got now.

The window thingy turn up straight away – what you’re actually looking for will remain lost until you search for something else.

martinhutch

Pretend to yourself that you’ve given up looking, lull it into a false sense of security.

maccruiskeen

Have you tried turning the Windows off and on again?

amodicumofgnar

Have you tried turning the Windows off and on again?

I’ve needed a proper belly laugh – thanks

epicyclo

Quartering works every time.

If that doesn’t work, it’s not there.

LAT

I was in a similar situation recently. I looked in all the obvious places. When it wasn’t in any of them, I decided to look in the sensible places. It was in the first one I tried.

single07
    Free Member

best comment to maccruiskeen : )

buying another is not an option. i’m in france. those type of shops have not been open for a good couple of weeks.

also, my workshop is FULL of safe places, about half of it is safe places! so if i try to put somethign else in a safe place it could be one of many. it’s impossible!

currently i’m thinking it’s the classic i’ve-got-it-in-my-hand-and-i’m-just-going-for-a-pee-and-it’s-gone…

breadcrumb

If you find my glasses or the fittings for the buggy board while you’re looking, give me a shout please!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

After taking the shed too pieces trying to find something on more than one occasion the solution is too buy another of what you want, then let you subconscious take over and decide where is a safe place to store it and lo and behold you will find what you are looking for.

CountZero

@maccruiskeen 🤣
    My g/f spent two hours, practically in tears, trying to find her purse this morning, with me helping her. We searched everywhere we could think of, and I looked in a few unlikely places, like the fridge! She was at the point of phoning her bank, and having to try to replace her NHS entitlement card, when she came in to the front room almost collapsing with relief; she’d looked for the third time in a box she keeps her boots in and it was right at the bottom!
    When Apple finally releases its AirTag location finders I’m getting her one for her purse.
    I’m also getting a couple for my keys – especially my car keys, I’m forever absentmindedly putting the damn things down or into a pocket then forgetting where they are, usually just before going to work at six in the morning!

maccruiskeen

currently i’m thinking it’s the classic i’ve-got-it-in-my-hand-and-i’m-just-going-for-a-pee-and-it’s-gone…

Theres you’re answer – get your arm down the U Bend

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve just found a passenger side electric window switch of a vw T4 transporter that I lost 6 years ago in my shed. You can have that if it helps.

single07
    Free Member

we should start some sort of swap-shop

sumoname
    Free Member

I once found the remote control for the tv in the fridge.
    Look for something else, you wont find that but find the thing you lost 2 months ago.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve just found a passenger side electric window switch of a vw T4 transporter that I lost 6 years ago in my shed. You can have that if it helps.

You lost a transporter t4?!

ads678

Garage keys about a year ago. We had three sets, one fot lost, i thought “they’ll turn, i’m not wasting time looking for them”. Second set got lost, but this set had the code tag for replacement on them (euro-cylinder). We looked every where. Fearing the third set would go the same way and I wouldn’t be able to get to my bikes, I bought a new lock and fitted it……

First set was found in my daughter’s bedroom! My fault I think as I was doing some decorating in there when they got lost I think.
    Second set I found last week, in the **** peg bag!!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Put the keys and the old eurocylinder in a little bag and store it safely incase the current one breaks…

welshfarmer

I can lend you my wife. She will find it. I don’t even look for things these days, just call her and she will turn it up in seconds. No idea how she does it. She once went jogging for a couple of miles along Brighton beach on the cobbles and dropped her car keys. She only noticed when she got back to where she was staying, but still managed to retrace her steps and find them!

Have you got a gun cabinet? I once put my passport in my brothers shotgun cupboard to keep it safe. I finally found it 25 years later!

hols2
    Free Member

I usually put things in a box. When the box is full, I put in on the top of the stack of boxes that are full of random things. If I need something, it’ll be in a box somewhere, unless I put it in a drawer somewhere, or just put it somewhere obvious because I knew I’d need it soon and it wasn’t worth putting in a box and then taking it out again.

nixie

I finally found the front wheel support for my turbo after several extensive searches. Somehow it was hidden in the bottom of my cars hard top storage bag. I’ve no idea how it got there! Only found it as I decided to completely empty anything that had been in the same room as it in the old house.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How to find things you (probably) put in a safe place’ is closed to new replies.