Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How to find a DJ and/or band for a party?
  • keppoch

My girlfriend and I are having a joint 40th party in Cardiff in May. We have the venue sorted but now need to sort a DJ and/or band.

The last organised party I had was the one my parents sorted out for me when I was about eight (a magic show) so not really sure how to go about finding the right people!

Any suggestions on how to search for localish bands/DJs? We know what we like and our plan at the minute is to trawl through listings at local bars we like and see who has performed there and whether they are available but it seems a laborious and potentially flawed approach!

For the band we are open to ideas but ideally looking for something a variety of people will enjoy. Something upbeat this could be anything from someone with a semi-acoustic guitar to a bigger group.

For the DJ we would be looking for someone that is not going to play wall to wall Wham but equally not looking for Sven Vath either. We are putting together a playlist that we don’t expect them to play from but will hopefully suggest what we like.

The venue we have chosen has a decent stage and PA system which should make the technicalities pretty easy.

Any help, suggestions, experiences or self-recommendations gratefully received! I’d also welcome any suggestions of what this might cost us.

tomhoward

Used alive network when we booked a band for our wedding. Loads of acts, sample tracks and reviews etc.

peekay

Explain to the venue what you are looking for and ask if there are any bands /DJs that they often work with and would recommend. Having somebody who knows the venue already saves a lot of hassle.

If they do recommend somebody then go see them play at the venue to get a feel for if they fit your requirements (even if they are playing a private party, you should be able to stand and the back and watch as it is in all three party’s interests to book them).

Alternatively, go to some local gigs/open mic nights and speak to the acts.
    Another option is to look at online agents who usually sort wedding bands, although this is usually the lower risk but higher cost option.

ajantom

Band will be a much higher cost option – expect to pay from £300/400 upwards for anything half decent. Covers/function bands tend to charge more than bands who play original stuff. But with my old band (mostly original stuff) we hated doing private gigs, especially weddings, and often quoted high to try and price ourselves out of the gig. Though sometimes people would say yes, and we’d be quids in!

DJ-wise do you not know anyone who is or was a DJ. Everyone has that mate don’t they (in fact I was that mate for many years). Unless you want someone who is mixing and beat-matching vinyl then a couple of CDJs and a mixer is all the kit you need. Or a laptop with the relevant software.

In fact if you’re putting together a playlist then all you need is a laptop and someone to press the play button! Unless you’re after a ‘party’ DJ who has lights, etc. and they tend to be a bit shit! Well maybe not shit, but generally disillusioned and half drunk.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How to find a DJ and/or band for a party?’ is closed to new replies.