Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • How to enjoy running?
  • greggparker9
    Free Member

I tend to mix up my runs with some longer steady pace running and for shorter runs when I don’t have so much time I do a kind of interval training to music (sounds weird, bear with me…) couple of songs to warm up and then one song at normal steady pace, then one song at a much faster pace, then back to steady pace… and so on. Keeps it interesting for me!
    + 1 for the good view though, over the summer I was in Menorca and running lots off-road through the countryside, even though it was 30+ degrees I didn’t care as the scenery was spectacular.

sofatester
    Free Member

And most of the fell runners you see out in the hills look like serial killers. Older guys who look like they live in caves and could, if required, dismember you and live off your remains for six weeks. And probably enjoy it. They scare the bejeesus out of me

I will remember to smile in future then, just so i don’t make you have a little poo 😈

hels
    Free Member

If you are getting a stitch you have eaten to close to running. Never eat any closer than 2 hours to a run. Strong coffee is OK, in fact some might say mandatory.

sofatester
    Free Member

OP – Forget the watch, run off road stop and walk for a bit if it gets unpleasant. Be pateint and your running fitness will come.

Welcome to the club 😀

surfer
    Free Member

You have to enjoy it for its own sake. If you dont then you are unlikely to persevere and gain the benefits.

Music, company etc may help but they will only prolong the inevitable.

Remember: It’s at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys. Emil Zatopek.

ahwiles
    Free Member

run somewhere nice.

singletrack is good…

Ewan
    Free Member

I have two problems when exercising, i’m fundementally quite lazy and secondly quite impatient. When I run, I turn one trait against the other. Generally I just run as far as I can in one direction (normally in the woods / bridleways), then realise I’m sh*gged, start to walk back, then decide I can’t be bothered to walk as it’ll take *ages* so I start running again. That ‘technique’ has got me past the 30k mark a few times.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I always used to find that, when I was trying to run to a (fast) pace, I’d actually perform better on the days that I felt rubbish.

Get out there, warm up, feel crap. Reluctantly push yourself up to your target pace, feel crapper. Keep pushing it, try not to look at the watch too much. Realise that you’re actually up on your pace because you’re actually pusing yourself a bit!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I never run with a watch or music.
    Just me the dog and the local flora/fauna.
    Run fast as you can up the hills, take it easy on the downs. Go home when you get tired.

The purest form of exercise – keep it simple.

its true – need to get a certain fitness – bloody horrible otherwise.

stick_man

So it sounds like if I persevere with some regular running and vary things a bit I might get to a point when I start to actually enjoy it. That’s a plan – thanks.

Guess I’ve just got to make sure I don’t get too into it and start scaring the public on the fells.

Respect for Pyro – 80k run. Flippin heck.

molgrips
    Free Member

I need to re-iterate – it’ll be WAY easier and more fun if you are doing it right.. Read up and watch some videos on youtube.

stever
    Free Member

I have a little bet with myself that any running thread will go off on a barefoot/pose/forefoot tangent within ten posts. Barefoot Bingo I call it. This one’s bucking that trend nicely. If I go on about it you won’t have to.

Autumn and winter’s a great time for running, makes the most of limited daylight, no faffing cleaning bikes, gets you tired quicker. Do your offroad rides, just without the bike. You might spot some brand new singletrack.

Jamie
    Free Member

molgrips”

I need to re-iterate – it’ll be WAY easier and more fun if you are doing it right.. Read up and watch some videos on youtube.

…or don’t overanalyse everything and just get out there and see how it goes.

derekrides
    Free Member

If you’re absolutely determined to go through with it, and being a helpful person, Ive decided to bequeath you my ‘rock n run’ playlist.

Put a head torch on and go out into the woods and run with it, it does make it less painful.

Only thing looks good on me 3:37 Brian Adams
    I Wanna Rock 2:54 Twisted Sister Road Trip Soundtrack
    Get Your Rocks Off 3:38 Primal Scream
    I Believe in a thing called love 3:38 The Darkness
    Roadhouse Blues 5:22 The Doors Morrison Hotel
    Caroline 3:47 Status Quo
    I’m Bored 2:48 Iggy Pop
    Take Me Out 3:57 Franz Fredinand
    She Sells Sanctuary (Long Vers 7:00 The Cult
    You give love a bad name 3:44 Bon jovi
    Do You Wanna 3:38 Franz Ferdinand
    Killer 6:23 Seal Seal 13
    I Love Rock and Roll 2:55 Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
    Modern Way 3:59 Kaiser Chiefs
    Teenage Dirtbag 4:16 Wheatus Wheatus
    Last Of The Mohicans 3:59 James Horner
    Magic Carpet Ride 4:28 Steppenwolf
    Pour Some Sugar on Me 4:27 Def Leopard

Er you can have it, I won’t be needing it back, thank me later..

Edit: Warning don’t be tempted to ride home after the pub to it.. It breaks things.

Pyro

Barefoot is where its at, however you’ ll need some barefoot shoes to do it properly

hurty knees…

Okay, half right with the barefoot thing. Big, important part, especially if you’re getting knee pain –

GET A GAIT ANALYSIS AND SOME PROPER SHOES.

Sorry, did I say that loud enough?

Honestly, it could make a massive difference. Yes, it means spending some money, maybe, but if you’re running in the wrong shoe, it’ll injure you more than it’ll help your fitness. Barefoot/Minimalist shoes don’t work for everyone, same as any other type. Get a proper analysis from a decent shop (I use Accelerate in Sheffield and heartily recommend them) and listen to their recommendations. Most will do analysis free if you’re buying shoes then and there.

Knee pain could be just about anything from ligament or cartilage issues to mask-tracking and misalignment of the patella. If the pain is down the outsider of your knee, it could be ITB problems, which often stem from gait issues or pushing too hard too fast. In which case, back off, simmer down and give it a chance to recover.

phil.w
    Free Member

it’ll be WAY easier and more fun if you are doing it right.

The correct way of running is the one when you don’t get injured (however that may be). 🙂

stever
    Free Member

I’ve told you once.

16stonepig
    Free Member

A bit of self-loathing always helps.

Pyro

Stever – Bingo! What do I win? 😉

stever
    Free Member

A sinking feeling and a heavy heart that crashed the party thrown for freedom and simplicity. Oh and you could have had a bonus line for Chi, Five Fingers or Dr Romanov 🙂

stick_man

Actually I do agree with Molgrips on the form thing. Some people seem to naturally run with ease, wheras I’m one of those people who naturally runs like an injured elephant. Have tried taking shorter steps and it does feel better. Everyone’s different though, of course.

antigee

have you tried running at different times in the day? I’ve always been rubbish and painful early morning – would have to be a really nice place/bright day to enjoy the ankle kicking pain – afternoons evenings fine (usually)

PS never ever try what the “star letter” in a running mag suggested – something like to add variety to yr run try running in and out and round all the cul de sacs on yr regular route – arrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

molgrips
    Free Member

or don’t overanalyse everything and just get out there and see how it goes

Yes that’s a good idea but it sounds like he’s already done that, and he says he hates it.. which says to me like he’s doing it wrong as I had been all my life until recently.

Pyro

Stick_man – doesn’t work for everyone. My gait adapted as I ran more (changed a hell of a lot between January and June!) but I wasn’t trying to ‘force’ it to. I wouldn’t advocate trying to conciously change your gait, other than on the advice of a physio if you’re suffering badly.

I won’t go into the geekiness of it (for fear of upsetting Stever further 😉 ) but honestly, get analysed and see what works for you rather than forcing yourself to someone else’s “ideal”…

molgrips
    Free Member

It goes without saying that if you do change your gait, take it easy at first. You could end up using tendons and muscles that weren’t being used previously and injure yourself. Readjustment needs to be gradual as in most things.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Off-road running shoes review here: Runners World

Aidan
    Free Member

A few people are suggesting not taking a watch – I’d be cautious about that.

I completely shagged my knees a few years back (surgery, a year off the bike, physio, pain for years afterwards) by taking bike fitness into running and going too far too fast.

Since, then I started running to the watch. I was able to slowly increase my runs by a couple of minutes per session. It meant turning around before I wanted to, but I can now run and bike.

Enjoyment-wise, I definitely go the MP3 route.

The thing that no-one has mentioned, though is having loops that you aim for as goals e.g. from my house, I can run to Bushey Park and around a fountain there in about 6 miles. Also from my house, I can run along the river to Walton Bridge, along the far side of the river back to Hampton Court Palace, cross over there are run home in about 11 miles.

It’s quite motivating to have these loops with landmarks in them to tick off as I increase my distance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, increasing distance is not for everyone. Personally I want to increase speed. Jogging along for miles and miles isn’t my thing, I like to be fast so that’s what I’m aiming for. Two or three sub 7 minute miles would be great 🙂

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    molgrips”

…or don’t overanalyse everything and just get out there and see how it goes.

+ 1

Some people take themselves way too seriously.

bigdaddy

parkrun Have you looked to see if there’s a ‘parkrun’ near you? It’s a 5k timed run with many other people at 9am on a Sat morning. Been doing them for a year now, with brother and dad and improved from 23mins to a pb last Sat of 19.37. Racing others is a great motivator for me!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Watch it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Some people take themselves way too seriously.

So – I want to be able to run, but I was terrible at it. Did I do something wrong by trying (and succeeding) to sort it out? Should I have continued to do it wrong?

Don’t understand, sorry.

EDIT: actually, who the f do you think you are telling me how seriously to take things? I can do whatever I bloody well like! If I get a kick out of analysing and understanding things that’s my **** perogative! The widespread attitude that it’s wrong to be into something, to try and figure things out and to solve problems is ignorant, divisive and causes needless misery for countless schoolkids. If you want to know why science and engineering are under-subscribed, that’s why. I should not have to be ashamed of having an enquiring mind.

Grr 🙁

bazookajoe
    Free Member

We did a marathon a few years back as a goal for my wife to train towards after having No.2 daughter. I have to say it wasn’t fun at all training for it, possibly because of the amount required. However, getting to the point where being able to run for an hour non-stop was a breakthrough for me. It still wasn’t hugely enjoyable though. Listening to music made a big difference, and having a variety of routes planned out to try. A friend swears by listening to podcasts or ebooks to make it bearable.

I did think about starting running again, though when walking the dog I happened to pass a 10k run – not a single smile among them, and several men making “hhhhaaaaarrrrrgggghhh ….. hhhhaaaaarrrrrgggghhh ….. hhhhaaaaarrrrrgggghhh …… hhhhaaaaarrrrrgggghhh …..” noises. I decided there and then against it.

hels
    Free Member

Sounds like you might need to take a handbag with you !

Neil-F
    Free Member

I was getting bored of my usual music on my ipod, so for doing the Edinburgh Marathon this year I downloaded an audio book. Best idea I’ve had for a long time. Loads of good inspirational audio books out there, Lance Armstrong, Matty Long, etc etc…… 😀

The thing with running is that it becomes fun when you become better at it and fitter

Very very true, its a huge effort at first and it seems to be a never ending quest to get up to a certain level of fitness when you first start out. I record every run on my phone using the Runkeeper App. but I don’t check my time or distance until I finish. I just want to run, not see what time it is or how far I am from the house or how many fatolies I’ve burnt! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

EDIT: actually, who the f do you think you are telling me how seriously to take things? I can do whatever I bloody well like! If I get a kick out of analysing and understanding things that’s my **** perogative! The widespread attitude that it’s wrong to be into something, to try and figure things out and to solve problems is ignorant, divisive and causes needless misery for countless schoolkids. If you want to know why science and engineering are under-subscribed, that’s why. I should not have to be ashamed of having an enquiring mind.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Run naked.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isDJBf_tArA&feature=related[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Jamie, yes, that’s me currently. Well, when reading that particular post anyway 🙂

stever
    Free Member

I won’t go into the geekiness of it (for fear of upsetting Stever further )

Oh go on, you kids enjoy yourselves, it’s after hours. The geek-cats out of the bag now anyway. I’m watching for next time though 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Big breasts, no bra, sit back, watch and enjoy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘How to enjoy running?’ is closed to new replies.