• This topic has 40 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How to do running…?
  • alpin
    Free Member

I always used to say that I only ran when I was late for the last train home…. However, having been in the UK for the last two and a half months I’ve put on ~5kg.

I’d like to lose a few kg, ideally 7. I’m cutting out beer, eating less and cutting out fatty, sugary stuff. I don’t have my bike with me but I do have miles and miles of river bank.

I’ve just ran to the next bridge just over 2km away in 15minutes.

I thought I was going to throw up.

I understand the whole start small principle, but how do I do this without dying? My breathing was all over the place….

mogrim

Download a Couch to 5K plan, and follow it. It might seem stupidly easy at first but it’ll stop you overdoing it and getting hurt.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, C25k.

Feel free to pop over to Wales for a bike ride btw 🙂 I can lend you a bike.

alpin
    Free Member

Couch to 5k…. I’ll have a look.
    Rode 35km yesterday on the city single speed with lots of stop start sprinting, but didn’t feel anywhere as near to death as I did today. Got to run home, too….

Cheers molly, but now back in Munich.

Was in Wales for a week last month. Beautiful place. Going to go back there again.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Does C25k apply if your starting point wasn’t the couch, but coming from being a fit(ish) bike rider?
    Looking increasingly likely i’ll be targeting an ‘iron’ distance duathlon this time next year = probably start running mid autumn this year.
    Bike leg doesn’t worry me, event lasting ~14hrs doesn’t really worry me, but running 39mi when I haven’t run properly in 20yrs is a tad concerning!

wors

but running 39mi when I haven’t run properly in 20yrs is a tad concerning!

Start off small and regular 3 times a week mostly running slow and steady but throw in a few efforts now and then. Despite biking lots, your legs aren’t used to running! after 4-6 weeks start throwing in a longer run (60mins) every other week then just build slowly up from there. do some speed work to, 10 x 400m is a good one…. 👿

nickc

but running 39mi when I haven’t run properly in 20yrs is a tad concerning!

long runs and keep it slow.

mogrim

Does C25k apply if your starting point wasn’t the couch, but coming from being a fit(ish) bike rider?

You could probably start halfway in, but you really, really need to keep the distance down at first. If you have time you might want to mix in some weights to help build up leg strength, too.

mogrim

long runs and keep it slow.

Next spring, maybe. But right now? Keep the runs short, and build up very slowly.

zippykona

Couch to 5 k , follow it to the letter and you won’t do yourself a mischief.
    It was so easy to start with that as a highly trained cyclist I overdid it and really buggered my back.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 for starting gently. If anything it’s more difficult when you’re fit from cycling, you can easily bugger yourself up by running too hard too early.

surfer
    Free Member

The simplest of sports 🙂

Start slow as already said but dont be scared to pick up the pace a bit, the body is a wonderful think and the adaptation process can be quick!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Be very careful not to over do it. That’s speaking from experience having started running not long back. Now unable to run due to shin splints. That’s despite what I thought was taking it slowly with a couple of 2.5 mile runs a week. Had a week off but still recon if I go out I’ll only do more harm than good. Sticking to the bike for a couple more weeks I reckon!

alpin
    Free Member

3k run home…. A bit stop start. 20 minutes.

Can see myself doing this more often.

Lots of nekkid people out today along the river. Think I saw my neighbour, Frau Roberto. Now I know how she gets her all-over tan. 😳 😯

lunge

Yes, I was exactly the same place, I could ride 100 miles without problem but never run. I did Cto5k and found it stopped me damaging myself. Worked really well, follow the programme and if you feel strong do the sessions a bit more regularly, 4 or 5 runs per week instead of 2 or 3 as prescribed perhaps.

Be prepared to stretch LOTS, you’ll find muscles you’ve not used for years need attention, my calf muscles particularly were very tight to begin with.

theotherjonv

Even more so because your lungs won’t be limiting you in the same way a proper couch potato’s would if they decided to suddenly up and go for a run.

You need to acclimatize the different muscle groups, tendons, etc. If you just head out and run until it starts to hurt by then it’ll be too late.

alpin
    Free Member

what should i do with regards to the C25K 5min warm up?

and should i be going as fast as i can manage for the run intervals or just a sedate, comfortable pace?

lunge

what should i do with regards to the C25K 5min warm up?

Walk briskly, get your heart rate up a bit, not much more than that I’d suggest.

and should i be going as fast as i can manage for the run intervals or just a sedate, comfortable pace?

Start at a sedate pace, running but not quickly. If you find you’ve got lots left at the end of each interval then pick the pace up a touch for the next one. But remember it’s a programme to get you running and not a true “interval session”, so don’t go and try to smash it, that’s not the game here.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The simplest of sports

This might sound a bit OTT, but getting coached isn’t a bad idea.

You know how MTB skills courses seem unnecessary until you do them… Learning how to run to suit you, instead of just going for it, could save you lots of joint pain in the future.

bensales
    Free Member

fifeandy – Member
    Looking increasingly likely i’ll be targeting an ‘iron’ distance duathlon this time next year = probably start running mid autumn this year.

You’ve got a marathon to train for. I’d start now. Then you can comfortably build a low volume base before ramping up the volume next year.

lunge

You’ve got a marathon to train for. I’d start now. Then you can comfortably build a low volume base before ramping up the volume next year.

This is good advice. I too am training for a marathon, I started training for running (from zero) in September with Cto5k. I had 6 weeks out with injury (likely as you’re new to running) and am now comfortable up to 15 or so miles. I could have do it quicker but it’s felt like reasonably sensible progression. Sooner you get some base mileage, even if it’s just getting used to running 3 or 4 days per week, the better.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’d been running regularly for a couple of years before I stepped up to a marathon. First one was still a bit of a shock to the system!

surfer
    Free Member

should i be going as fast as i can manage for the run intervals or just a sedate, comfortable pace?

You should run them “hard” but ensuring your last is at least as fast as your first. If you dont do that you have gone off too fast and you shouldnt have enough left to run the last significantly faster than the first, otherwise you have gone off too slow. Hope that makes sense.

Intervals are what will improve your fitness more than anything else. they need to be “hard” but if your are unfit hard may = slow, dont worry about that.

This might sound a bit OTT, but getting coached isn’t a bad idea

Its a good idea, as is joining a club and training with others. Is is still very simple though. I could write a training schedule on the back of a stamp. Its gets a bit more complex if you become very good but a huge amount of improvement will come from running regularly, increasing mileage and pace and racing. people will always try to “add value” but its just putting one foot in front of the other. Hard work pays off.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cyclists tendons and muscles aren’t suited to running, so you need to condition them. When I started, I started running off road, on soft/mixed surfaces, which seems to help cut the impact. Despite this, I still suffered from strained tendons due to doing too much, too soon, so make sure you build up the distance.

I made the short runs more interesting my sticking in steep, woodland climbs, which acted as intervals. I guess they also help use the cycling muscles more.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@ben & lunge, i’d absolutely start now, but i’ve got a biking goal that needs full attention until at least the end of August and not willing to risk injury.

Rough timetable is NC500 end of August, week off and make decision on Relentless in October.
    Worst case scenario a bit of gentle running starts mid November. Still gives time to start the ‘long’ run at 1mile and build by a fairly conservative 1 per week.

chilled76
    Free Member

Read Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 running. Really good book and eye opening to the mistakes most people make.

DT78
    Free Member

Ooo sounds familiar. I’ve just started lunch time jog. Have a 3.8 mile loop once a week. First run went far too fast and it took 4 days for me to be able to walk properly again. Third attempt this week, managed to run the whole thing 5k time down to 27:34 pretty pleased. Achilles flared up and took a day to settle. HR was top of my zone2 which is my 100mile pace. CV is there, really need to work on the muscles that stabilise the ankle. I also suffer super tight calfs

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

All the above sounds good, but with hindsight I’d start even slower.

LOTS of walks with a heart rate monitor so that you can get bio-feedback and track your progress.

Throw in some steeper walks and you’ll get an idea of the kind muscles you’ll be borking if you just brynjed out, regardless.

For me to take up running, I’d ask myself ‘could I hike up Ben Nevis/ snowdon, etc without feeling like I’ve been to a shin-kicking contest?’

If you’re supple enough, have at it:)

alpin
    Free Member

I’d ask myself ‘could I hike up Ben Nevis/ snowdon, etc without feeling like I’ve been to a shin-kicking contest?’

often go for a walk/hike up a 800-1000m mountain. more than happy to walk up at a fair pace, but the first 2km of running today shagged me out.

ended up doing 5.3km tody with a break after 2km. can feel my thighs, but actually want to go out and do it again.

is a heart rate monitor worth having or am i jumping the gun? (was looking t a Garmin/Fitbit type thing for GPS/riding/general smart watch.)

twisty

HRM are certainly worth having.
    A few years ago when I started doing a bit of running after only doing cycling it took me a while to learn that it was not a good idea to run with a bent midriff (stresses back, wastes energy) and generally develop a half decent running form and not ruin my tendons in the first 5km.

surfer
    Free Member

is a heart rate monitor worth having or am i jumping the gun?

I would say not. I am not a fan of them for runners unless you have the wherewithal to analyse the data and control your environment. Otherwise you will observe your HR at efforts then leave it in the drawer after that.

lunge

I use a HRM but tend to use it for pace and not for HR, for that it’s useful. Means I know when I’ve gone off too fast in a long run, or not fast enough for a shorter one. Not sure how much use that would have been when I started out though.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Out our interest – what sort of shoes/trainers would people recommend for someone just starting out?

lunge

what sort of shoes/trainers would people recommend for someone just starting out?

Something that fits, ideally with some cushioning. Nike Pegasus are the default, easily available option, Brooks GTS are a good, standard shoe too. I personally love Asics Cumulus, they work for me and are a nice neutral shoe, I also like the feel of the Decathlon/Kaleji LD albeit they were a touch narrow for my feet.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just any normal cheap running shoe. I just get whatever’s on sale at sportshoes.com or wherever…usually 20-35 quid a pair.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

With respect, any old cheap running shoes is terrible advice. Maybe ok for a few weeks but anything more serious go get a gait analysis and buy correct shoes… unless you don’t value your knees.

But beyond bitching about that advice… join a local running club, trust me group motivation makes it so much easier to keep it up.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes get some DECENT running shoes, get a gait analysis done and buy shoes from a small independent running shop who can give you advice and guidance.

Just because you are a fit cyclist doesn’t mean you can run! My boyf is a super speedy cyclist.. if he tried to run 3 miles straight off he wouldn’t manage it and I have no doubt he would injure himself. Take an ego check and follow the C25K it’s there for a reason!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

is a heart rate monitor worth having or am i jumping the gun?

Waste of time IMO. Pace is a good indicator. You need to build base mileage, probably so that you can do about 8 miles or so, then worry about pace and speed.

Shoes – Cheap wont kill you, they just wont last as long.

go get a gait analysis and buy correct shoes…

A few people in our club have done gait analysis, bought the shoe they were advised, and now have chucked them in the bin.

Buy a shoe that feels like a slipper.

Transferring from biking to running your legs cant keep up with the lungs initially, so after your first few runs expect the legs to hurt, its just different muscles being used.

The problem comes with running once you start to up the mileage/training. The resting/stretching/massage is almost more important than the running.

Starting out by yourself is good, and enables you to find your comfortable pace.

However after a while your comfortable pace becomes too comfortable and its hard to go faster. Thats where joining a club helps or doing a few race, or doing some intervals.

Runing is simple, and thats the attraction, no gimmicks, no technology. Cyclist do tend to want to over complicate things !

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s quite flat where the OP lives IIRC so he might as well work with pace than anything else.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Change that to … running sucks … HA HA HA

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How to do running…?’ is closed to new replies.