Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How to connect to Netflix ?
  • coconut
    Free Member

I’m out the loop with technology….

I have a Bush flat screen TV (32inch) which has a HDMI port in the back. The TV is 1m away from the virgin wireless router. The TV is not Netflix ready, can I plug an ethernet cable into the wireless box and then into the TV or does it have to go via a laptop or Netflix device first ?

Many thanks

seosamh77
    Free Member

Buy a chromecast for 20ish quid, plug into hdmi (and a usb port or plug if not usb on the tele), put netflix app on phone(and a load of other apps are possible.).

Pick film, cast from phone.

nuke

We just use the Now TV stick on our non-smart tv that has the Netflix app; works well, sometimes better than using our smart tv…£19 on Amazon and you can give now tv a free try too. you don’t need a current now tv subscription to use the stick

rossburton
    Free Member

Your TV almost certainly won’t have a network port. A chromecast would work but I prefer the Amazon Fire sticks, same price but you don’t need a phone to control it.

CraigW
    Free Member

Depends on the TV, and how smart it is. Most recent TVs have some sort of smart features, even the cheap ones.

If it does have a network port, try plugging in a cable to the router. Then it should let you install extra apps, including Netflix.

Cougar

Can you not just add the Netflix app to your Virgin TV box?

geomickb
    Free Member

+1 for Amazon Firestick, we were using an old Now TV box but it was a bit rubbish. Firestick is amazing after that.

It will just plug in your HDMI slot and sit on your WiFi.

Mick

Beagleboy

What Cougar said. If you go to apps on your Virgin TV, you’ll be able to add Netflix. It’s not the greatest version of the App, I use the Playstation App, but it does work.

sparkyrhino

The app on virgin boxes is bilge,works for a week or two then the 25% buffer of death kicks in.same on both tivo and v6 boxes

sc-xc

Virgin TV box? He doesn’t say he has one…

coconut
    Free Member

I dont have a virgin box, just a virgin home router. I’m going to try the “now TV stick”, they are £20 and seem simple enough.

thanks all

takisawa2

If ever there were justifiable grounds to go tv shopping this is it. 😉

I bought my Sons a basic 32” smart TV each, for about £130-£140. They have Netflix & a host of other apps built in, but having YouTube on the TV is a game changer.

But a NowTV box will get you up & running. 👍

irc

The other advantage of the Firestick is voice control. I thought it was a gimmick and I wouldn’t use it but just saying “play Radio 4” is easier than going through the menus.

We got a firestick for tv in a room with no good tv signal. Easy setup.

MarkyG82

+1 for now TV kit. basically the same as Roku (they are made by Roku) so very easy to use. Most streaming services should be available. Be warned if you currently use a Freeview or Freesat box you may find you use streaming most of the time. Only issue is ads on ITV player, 4od, etc.

martinhutch

Firestick +1
    Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon prime, red bull, YouTube and many more from one remote. Get the 4k voice remote and you’re away.

meeeee
    Free Member

Get the Roku stick instead of the now TV stick, it allows you to add more apps, like Rakuten so you have more choices in future for streaming things.

Now TV stick is ok but for the same money the Roku box is faster and more choice of apps ( we have both Nowtv and Roku stuff) 17.99 on Argos at moment

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7392924

And there’s an offer on with 3 free films to own on Rakuten with the Roku stick

meeeee
    Free Member

Just remembered I have 3 spare Rakuten codes for free films! We bought a couple of Roku boxes before Xmas, but the 3 free films is limited to one offer per account, so we couldn’t use the codes from the second box. First one to say they want them can have them!

escrs
    Free Member

First one to say they want them can have them!

Ill take the codes if you don’t mind, will be handy for a relative who just has a basic account

Thanks

meeeee
    Free Member

Escrs – sent you a pm

coconut
    Free Member

So I bought a “NowTV” memory stick from Argos today, set up fine and connected to internet. It then askes me to set up an account on their wbsite which was going fine until they wanted payment (card details), I was under the impression theis was a free service for the basic package ? I have a friends Netflix login indetails so don’t want to pay a monthly sub to NowTV, how do I go about doing that ? All I want is to watch Netflix using my fiends login.

thanks

Superficial
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need an account to use the box if you never intend to use the NowTV streaming services (I think). But if you want to claim the free / included trial of NowTV streaming then I guess you will (essentially they make you sign up to a recurring contract that you can cancel at any time). Either way, you can sign up and then immediately cancel – the streaming service will continue until the date the next payment is due.

coconut
    Free Member

So you think:

connect and set up the payment details, activate the account then after 7 days cancel the payment and you can still log into “Netflix” ? It won’t let me activate my account without payment details, frustrating website as it’s really not clear how you get the free set up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How to connect to Netflix ?’ is closed to new replies.