Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • How to collect a urine sample from a toddler
  • molgrips
    Free Member

.. who’s not potty trained and can’t pee on demand..?

Apparently wee collected from the potty isn’t good enough, which is moot since she doesn’t go in it. And any other devious collection method involving wringing things out won’t be sterile either.

I don’t think we can comply with this particular request from the GP.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Just fill it up yourself. They’ll never know the difference.

geoffj

Did you ask the GP?
    I suspect the health visitor, or whatever the equivalent is near you could probably offer some advice.

Mumsnet?

zokes
    Free Member

On the evidence you present on here, I thought you were pretty good at taking the piss 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

give child to person asking for sample and walk away

wwaswas

stw can only suggest a shoe as a suitable receptacle, surely?

bombjack
    Free Member

We had to get a sample off our 8 week old last week… Remove nappy, hold petri dish, stand in the slips waiting for the inevitable.
    Took 2 goes as I missed the first load.
    HTH, BJ

mikewsmith
    Free Member

HTH, BJ

Hope that helps B*** J**??? some sort of code?

theotherjonv

clean food bag with his winkie pointing in and then the lot all inside his nappy. Wait a while, come back and hopefully there will be some caught in it?

[edit] just saw the above, which made me think. Mummy dogs lick their puppy’s genitals to stimulate them to wee. I didn’t actually make that as a suggestion though, for avoidance of doubt.

Drac

I’m sure you can get nappies that allow samples. I may be mistaken but a practice nurse may be able to help. Other than that I think there’s the trick with cling film on potty too.

xcgb
    Free Member

You wanna try getting a sample off a dog! Wish I had a video of my missus running about the garden trying to get a tray under the hound! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

clean food bag with his winkie pointing in and then the lot all inside his nappy

It’s a girl – should’ve specified 🙂

Drac will investigate ta.

geoffj

Collecting urine with a collection pad

1. Wash your child’s bottom using soap and water, and dry. Do not put any cream or talc on.
    2. Place the pad inside a disposable nappy which has been put on inside out (with the plastic side next to the skin). Position the pad carefully over the front of your baby’s bottom…………………

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/allergies/455757-getting-a-urine-sample-from-a-toddler/AllOnOnePage

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d put mine in the bath, he never fails to top it up.

duntstick
    Free Member
    stevew
    Free Member

I only wish I knew…
    Our 2 year old, who was newly potty trained at the time, had to go into hospital for tests (was nothing in the end) and I had to get a sample. He’s usually brilliant on a potty but refused to go – probably due to the strange setting. Had him sat on my knee for 3 hours with the potty below him while he watched Octonauts on loop…

He was happy but it was like some kind of stress position torture for me coupled with the constant bombardment of submarine cartoon animal adventures… not a night I remember fondly.

Sorry I cant help, good luck!

scaredypants

Ours always used to piss when we first put her in the bath, as her feet touched the water.

Used it to amaze a casualty doc once – stood her up in a bowl of warm water and away she went !

Harry_the_Spider

I’d check that they actually 100% need it before putting the poor kid through the stress of extracting and collecting.

My daughter has quarterly health checks and the nurse always try to collect a sample. When she was younger this involved taping a collection bag to her. As a result my daughter would go ballistic. Yet after 20 minutes of fighting the doctor would appear and say “It’s alright, we don’t really need it.”

D0NK

I’d put mine in the bath, he never fails to top it up.

same for my kids, dunno if it’s a bloke thing, I always feel the need to go when I get in a bath.

I do get out to do this BTW

sssimon
    Free Member

feet in basin of water does the trick with ours too!

matt_bl
    Free Member

The bath never fails with my daughter either. She’s recently taken to proudly stating ‘that’s better’ once she’s finished.

Matt

globalti
    Free Member

You mean it’s not normal to pee in the bath?

Oh…..

eskay

I have had to get a sample from my dog on several occasions, now that is tricky!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had to do it a few times with our son. I always thought it was quite simple personaly.

We have either been given a bottle and asked to fill it up, or given a bag that sticks to the genital area and collects it when they pee. In hospital they had the nappies that can squeeze it out.

If its the bottle method, let them drink as much juice as you can get down them, sit with them in an open nappy on towels etc and when they start peeing, jump in (so to speak) with the bottle.

OK so its not going to be as easy with a girl, but principle still the same.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

She’s recently taken to proudly stating ‘that’s better’ once she’s finished.

Proper chuckled at that!

theotherjonv

It’s a girl – should’ve specified

even easier. bag and duck tape. If you want to totally over engineer it, prefit a tube and tap to one corner.

TiRed

Steriize measuring jug. Place in toilet. Girl wees, sample from jug. They like an instream sample, but that won’t be easy in this case.

crankboy
    Free Member

i used to think the definition of middle class was “someone who gets out of the bath to have a wee.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Place in toilet. Girl wees

She’s not potty trained as I said.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘How to collect a urine sample from a toddler’ is closed to new replies.