Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How to clean acrylic spray paint off a carbon fibre wheel and a fatbike
  • Northwind

Knocked a can of lovely baby blue montana spray paint off the shelf last night and it burst on landing, spraying a mist of spray mostly onto the ground but also onto my Dune and a wee bit onto my Remedy. I busted out the powerwasher and got a load of it off before it dried but some was so fine that it basically airdried and was already pretty well flashed off by the time I could get to it.

Sooooo. Any hints for how the hell to get acrylic spraypaint off a) matte finish carbon fibre (a wheel), b) black anodised metal (also a wheel and a crank) and painted metal (a frame and a BB shell). I think for the BB I might just colour over it with a sharpie 😛

(also sprayed over assorted tools which I’m just going to leave painty, and a set of ancient Revelations which I’m probably just throwing in the bin)

Bob Ross can **** off.

rone

I’d try nail varnish remover and white spirit.

You’re face with a problem though, you’re likely to mark the surface of your matte rims. So try a small area first.

Could you take a tooth pick (plastic) and take bits of?

This is just the kind of thing that would happen to me!

onandon
    Free Member

Acetone Or a clay bar should do the job.

stevied
    Free Member

Can you drop cans of the equivalent colours and hope for the same outcome to mask the previous accident?

mattyfez

If the wheels were a bit dirty and depending on the the finish, the paint might not key properly so you may well be able to pick it off once dry .

JoeG
    Free Member

In the late 80s and early 90s, GT used to do some fantastic splatter paint jobs 😎

rickmeister

I used Brake Cleaner / Isopropyl Alcopops spray on the inside of some carbon wheels… Worked fine, but as others said, do a test on a small bit first. Wheels were and are matt finish…
    Spray cleaner on kitchen towel, rub away carefully… Dont smoke or be naked near a flame …

captaindanger

I wouldn’t use acetone (nail varnish remover), it will remove powder coat and probably the carbon finish

andyl
    Free Member

WD40? (someone had to say it)

Acetone will be fine on anodised aluminium but be careful on any stickers.

It should also be fine on carbon fibre, if it is just epoxy, but chances are it’s lacquered which will probably react badly to even a quick wipe. Alcohol probably wont touch it if its dried already.

clay bar could also be a good shout if you have one, generally anything mildly abrasive as chances are the paint is not well stuck due to surface contaminants. Even some car polish and a cloth might do it, use something fine though not coarse.

Northwind

Ooh, clay bar, that’s a good un- ta!

Also there’s surprisingly little pisstaking on this thread, what is wrong with you all?

Northwind

OK so, just in case anyone else ever has to do this- acetone was the #1 best tip, on the ano parts and on rubber it just takes it clean off. On the carbon I’m using a scotchbrite pad with oil, it’s slow going but it lifts it and leaves the finish pretty unscathed. It’s going better than I’d dared hope tbh so cheers 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to clean acrylic spray paint off a carbon fibre wheel and a fatbike’ is closed to new replies.