How to check a website/company is genuine?

Home Forum Chat Forum How to check a website/company is genuine?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How to check a website/company is genuine?
  • FallOutBoy

I want to buy a couple of hundred squids worth of bits from this site but despite saying it’s payment procedure is secure, there is no little padlock symbol on the web-brower on their webpage asking for credit card details. Also, there price are about 20% lower than anywhere else I can find. Is there anyway of checking they are a real company before I place an our over the phone?

tyke

Looking at the website, they are providing physical contact details which is a good sign. However, the address appears on google maps to be a residential area. They are not a limited company from what I could see which is a bit odd as I would expect a company selling the types of products they are offering to be. Their credit card processing is via protx which is a secure and reliable system.

I would give them a call and ask them a few questions and see what they sound like over the phone.

grumm

Is the address where you put in your details https: ? It looks genuine to me tbh – most really shady places don’t have their address and phone no listed.

Premier Icon hoodoo
    Subscriber

A quick check at nominet.org.uk reveals the following information

Domain name:
    chimneyproductsdirect.co.uk

Registrant:
    Chimney Products Direct Ltd

Registrant type:
    Unknown

Registrant’s address:
    15 Barnton Gardens,edinburgh
    EDINBURGH
    EH4 6AF
    GB

Registrar:
    9xb Ltd t/a 9XB [Tag = 9XB]
    URL: http://www.9xb.com

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 17-Aug-2005
    Renewal date: 17-Aug-2009
    Last updated: 19-Oct-2007

Registration status:
    Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
    ns.rackspace.com
    ns2.rackspace.com

popping the postcode into google maps results in this house.

Nice big house, looks like there’s a gazebo in the back garden. WOnder if the business is run from there or wether it is funded by the business profits.

Does that help? Maybe a search at companies house?

FallOutBoy

Thanks for the help – I’ll give them a call and see if they know what they’re talking about

And the site is built by a legitimate business (they are a competitor of ours) so I think they seem pretty genuine.

-m-

House seems to have plenty of chimneys on it as well 😉

breatheeasy

If you’re paying over a hundred quid on the credit card then the c/card company would have to get involved if everything went a bit pear shaped.

grahamb

If their payment system doesn’t use SSL (it’s not an “https” url), don’t enter your credit card details. The site might be genuine, but traffic to that site will be visible by anyone who happens to be sniffing it. That’ll include your card details etc.

If you’re going to buy their product, phone them up with your cc details & tell them why you’re not using their online payment page.

Looks to me they’re just trying to be cheap & save the SSL signing cert costs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How to check a website/company is genuine?’ is closed to new replies.