Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to change this frame bearing
  • enigmas
    Free Member

Looking to change the frame bearings on my 2021 stumpy evo and I’m not sure the best way to get out the pair of chainstay bearings.

Each side it’s two bearings with a one-piece spacer/axle between them. The problem is the axle prevents me from using a blind bearing puller, or a threaded bearing press.

Only way I can think is to hammer out both bearings and the spacer from one side, but that doesn’t sound ideal on a carbon frame.

Page 9 of the manual has a diagram of the configuration:
    https://support.specialized.com/stumpjumper-evo/en/service-maintenance/manuals

wheelsonfire1

I’m sorry but I couldn’t be bothered downloading the manual. If the axle has a hole through then I’d use a Wheels Manufacturing bearing remover. They have an expanding wedge that grips the inner race and then a punch of the appropriate size is used from the opposite side and tapped with a hammer. It’s not ideal but used with care it does work, use an assistant to hold the frame. In extreme cases make a wooden support for the bearing area with a thin rubber cover instead of the human support. If the chainstay/seatstay connection still has two bearings with a lip between then you’ll have to use the same technique. Hope this helps.

neilc
    Free Member

Can you not just hammer out the axle if you have something suitable to use as a drift, or pull the axle with a bearing puller? The lip on the axle would then drive the bearing out.
    I’d probably prefer the drift option to the blind puller, but I guess it’s down to whatever you have available.
    Looks like there’s possibly a lip in the bearing housing to separate the two bearings which would stop you driving them out together.

yetidave
    Free Member

If there is a lip, don’t do it like this bloke https://youtu.be/7SoRAKtK7c8

colournoise

Just done this on my old Epic. As was already mentioned, one of the expanding wedge type bearing removers on one side and some careful drifting, then the spacer will slide out and you can use a normal bearing press to get the other one out.

EDIT. Just had a look at the manual for yours. The spacer/axle is much wider than on mine (where it’s basically a washer with a ridge in the middle). Same tool and technique will still work I think, as long as you’re super careful tightening the wedge into the axle and then gently drifting it out. As nelic says though, looking at the schematic, just make sure you drift the outer bearing out first to allow for the lip in the housing.

jamiemcf

I’ve not looked at the link but get yourself over to bearing pro tools .co.uk I’m sure they have an example of that problem.

bikerevivesheffield

Done a few of these over the last few weeks, dead easy. Blind bearing puller and slide hammer

Wally

Exactly as Bikerevivesheffield said.

You want This one You will not regret getting one. There have been several threads on here over the years and combined with This bearing press kit, it’s much easier. The best £50 you will spend if you like a tinker.

bikerevivesheffield

Which is exactly what I used

enigmas
    Free Member

Thanks all, sorry I didnt post a screenshot directly, not too sure how to do that.

Bikerevive & Wally, how exactly did you use the blind bearing puller? I’ve a mate with that exact kit and I’ve used it before on car jobs, but it says the minimum internal diameter is 8 mm and the hole in the pivot axle is much less than that?

bikerevivesheffield

Post a pic
    The axle pushes out from the inside which exposes the actual bearing

enigmas
    Free Member

Will see if I can post a pic when I’m home from work – I thought from the manual that the axle widens in-between the two bearings to form a spacer – so it can’t come out without taking the external bearing with it.

desperatebicycle

Any of these help –
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stumpjumper+bearing+replacement
    ?
    I love these pics. Got some up on my garage wall 😀

enigmas
    Free Member

That’s the pic! Thanks!

In that it’s how to get bearings ‘C’ out – as the axle ‘H’ ID is too small to get blind bearing puller in. I’m leaning towards hitting the outside bearing + axle out from the inside.

ginkster

Looks like you will need to drift out the axle from the inside of the chainstay and it will take the outer bearing with it. The inner bearing is then easy to remove on its own. Go gently with the carbon!

Jordan

I would be using a nut, bolt and socket to pull that out.

desperatebicycle

Yeah, my old Yeti part like that had a specific threaded tool for pushing the axle through, so you didn’t have to bash it 🙂

andybrad

you should be able to support the indide of the stay with something solid and then knock the inside bearing out into a hole (i use a block of wood with a hole)

you can then knock the other one out with a drift

oikeith

Until I opened the manual I was going to say, I have just had to do this on my Enduro, I have the blind puller mentioned above and I ended up cracking the race instead of getting the bearing out, this was cos I thought what was between the bearings was frame material when its actually a washer so I could have let the puller sit deeper into the bearing, I ended up going to the LBS where I got the bike who are a Spesh dealer.

Just loaded up the manual for the Evo though and that axle/spacer thing doesnt look nice! Is it held in place by the bearings which are pressed in from each side?

I would say there is a very active Spesh Evo page over on MTBR, I have just scanned it and cant find an existing post about the bearings, maybe join that and ask your question on their?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.