Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to buy a second hand mountain bike
  • down_and_across

Dieter is a bike mechanic at Happy Days Cycles in Sowerby Bridge, where he regularly revives donated bikes to sell to customers, or repairs customers’ …

By down_and_across

Get the full story on our front page at:

How To Buy A Second Hand Mountain Bike

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

gazzab1955

Good piece and good advice. I would add to the stolen bikes bit, if possible ask to see the original purchase receipt. It’s not necessarily a deal breaker, but if they have one its 99.9% not a stolen bike. I’m Looking around on e-bay/Gumtree/Facebook at the moment and there are lots of “pandemic” purchases now up for sale “bought it last year, but now not riding it…..”, especially as we get into the winter months.

onewheelgood

Ooh, a Raleigh Peak! I had one of those, it was a lovely bike, even had a titanium handlebar. Mine unfortunately died in a collision with a Post Office van in North Wales.

pmurden

Oooh I had a Raleigh Peak and bloody loved it. Hmmm Zoom stem and seat post, just wonderful.

colin9

Good article, and great counterpoint to £12k bike reviews.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Agreed. Respect to STW for publishing it.

jimthesaint

Why is the grey frame classed as ‘child seat unfriendly’? Yeah with the cable stop where it is you can’t have a Hamax style child seat but it has got rack mounts instead.

Jonno

Do they need donations? I have a spares bin dating back to the 90’s. Don’t do Instagram so can’t see from the link.

stwhannah

@Jonno yes, they accept donations. Their website is a bit out of date but give them a call and I’m sure they’ll let you know if they can take what you’ve got. https://happydayscycles.co.uk/

copa
    Free Member

Fair play. That’s really good.
    I’ve never bought a new bike.

halifaxpete

Good read, Also never bought new, Remember buying a £50 Raleigh Tundra over 10 years ago to get me started!

stingmered

Disagree on the ‘no service station’ meet up. When I’ve sold bikes I’ve always made sure the meet-up has been away from my house (well away!) The reason being, I don’t want anybody to know I have potentially decent bikes stored at my house. Even if they don’t see my garage (or the contents of) it doesn’t take much imagination to wonder what else I might have lurking about the place…

down_and_across

@jimthesaint I’m just not a fan of rack mounted child seats! Does anyone actually still use them? I thought they’d pretty much been killed off by the rise of Hamax and the like!

lustyd
    Free Member

OK so how do I sell second hand bikes? N+1 is all well and good but I need to get in my garage again!

zerocool

I agree with the ‘sonny sell from your house’ bit. I don’t want potential thieves to come back and ‘have a look’ later on.

robertajobb

So… what are folks offering me for a 2005 Stumpy FSR expert. 1 careless owner. Always raced and rallied. Still has the original front triangle (!) and an off trend 110mm stem. 26″ wheels obvs. Hope bulb rear hub.
    Alpine proven.
    It has ‘street cred’ all over it 👍

frankconway

roberta – 20 rothmans and a wrap?

amandawishart

This is excellent!

eyestwice
    Free Member

I had that exact model, same colour. Used to race it in my teens, it was blinged up with anything that could be anodised purple.

X-Lite took a lot of my money in those days. Good times!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to buy a second hand mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.