• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by the00.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How To Build A Pump Track – The Right Way
  • stwhannah

We reported a few weeks back on what we thought might just be the worst pump track in the UK – a new creation in Carlisle. In looking into what Carlis …

By stwhannah

Get the full story on our front page at:

How To Build A Pump Track – The Right Way

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

Gribs

Any chance of making this public rather than just a members feature so it can be more widely viewed?

Mugboo

We are in the process right now with Calderdale Council and it would be very useful to be able to share this well thought out article with them if possible?

mwg58

Visit the pump track at Hawick to see how it can end up with proper consultation with all parties involved

Murray

Thanks, that’s an excellent article.

RustyNissanPrairie

@stwhannah

Any chance of making this public rather than just a members feature so it can be more widely viewed?

+1
    We are trying to rebuild/extend the crappy knackered tiny little ‘pump track in Whitaker Park Rawtenstall so any info like this article is mega useful but I’m the only STW member on the group.

stwhannah

Glad you all find it useful. As it’s taken me many hours – days even – to research and prepare it’s currently only available to our paying members who enable me to spend time doing this kind of work. It’s £20 for a digital only sub, or there’s even a monthly option at £2.50.

I realise that’s frustrating for some, but I want to write stuff like this and it’s our members’ fees that let me do it, not ad clicks. Even someone that joins for £2.50 and then leaves is a better deal for us than chasing ad clicks.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We are trying to rebuild/extend the crappy knackered tiny little ‘pump track in Whitaker Park Rawtenstall so any info like this article is mega useful but I’m the only STW member on the group.

If Tony Lund is still at LCC he will be able to advise

I keep looking at the flat grass area and thinking grass track racing……

davidd

Great article and helpful to anyone thinking about going down this road. Recently visited the velosolutions track in Hawick and was blown away by what a fantastic facility it is. It was an eye opener.

malv173
    Free Member

We’re pretty lucky in Sheffield, having the incredible Bolehills, and Charnock pump track is also decent. Velosolutions have been chosen for a new track at Hillsborough Park, with work due to start later this year. It should be a great addition to the city’s riding options.

brads
    Free Member

Just bought a cheap BMX so if you read about a middle aged idiot having an off at Ormistons new pump track, it may or may not be me ! lol.

RustyNissanPrairie

@stwhannah

Yep fair point👍

Premier Icon
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

If Tony Lund is still at LCC he will be able to advise

I keep looking at the flat grass area and thinking grass track racing……

👍
    MrsRNP works at the Whitaker and has connections to RBC – Ill pass the name on.

Sandwich

@RustyNissanPrairie IpswichBMX have just rebuilt their track on our nearest recreation ground. It cost £300K which they raised themselves, they are probably worth contacting for somme advice.

It’s a magnet for the local youth who have been riding it most fine evenings before the formal opening this weekend. A good example of build it and they will come.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

MrsRNP works at the Whitaker and has connections to RBC – Ill pass the name on.

RBC know him, he managed the Lee and Crag quarry trails and the two pump tracks

bigbaz0066
    Free Member

Our local one in Chopwell (Gateshead) was built by Velosolutions and is mint. See all age groups and abilities using it. Was a long and torturous road for the fundraising group, Friends of Chopwell Park, but totally worth the effort.

kayla1
    Free Member

Where’s the one at Choppers?

bigbaz0066
    Free Member

It’s in Chopwell Park, road access is from Marx/Lenin Terrace.

powerbenny

This is a fab article Hannah and well worth my subscription money this month. I am re-inspired to approach my local town council and have another go at persuading them to let me attempt to organise to build a local pump track. Last time I proposed it they dismissed the idea over concerns about anti-social behaviour, but it looks like there is good evidence that these fears are misplaced. Keep up the good work and great writing – thank you.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Though many people may be unaware, there’s an uncanny synergy to all of this…

Mick Hannah was key to the global pump track boom

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s in Chopwell Park, road access is from Marx/Lenin Terrace.

Smashing, thanks 👍

jamcorse

We’ve been looking at Velosolutions work and it is really top quality. Hoping to build a track with them for Tanzania under their Pump for Peace programme, great guys!

the00
    Free Member

How do Velosolutions work? Do they ‘simply’ have a very good design design team and an idiot proof specification and instructions for a local contractor to follow? There are so many of their excellent pumptracks across Europe (the world?) that I can’t imagine they actually send teams of people to build them. How do they operate?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How To Build A Pump Track – The Right Way’ is closed to new replies.