Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • How to avoid catching colds/flu
  • brooess
    Free Member

IIRC I didn’t get any of the bugs last winter – and I was riding in twice a week – got me out of the public transport system, kept my immune system strong and got me lots of Vitamin D during the dark season.

I have a bottle of alcohol hand rub which I use before I touch my keyboard when I get to work, to save transferring any bugs from touching stuff everyone else has touched to something I’ll be touching all day.

I think eating super-healthy when the bugs are flying around, lots of sleep and some echinacea probably help.

General principle of keeping your immune system strong and protect yourself from the bugs of others seems to make sense.

No idea if any of this is scientific!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

househusband – Member
    I don’t really get the ‘I get it because I’m exposed to it’ that teachers and the likes spout. Surely your immune system is stronger due to exposure?
    Well… seeing as you’ve singled out my comment:

Personally… I have Type 1 diabetes and asthma so have an immune system weaker than many of my colleagues – and, by the sound of it, you. I hope that others are luckier and aren’t as prone.

Any words of wisdom you’d like to ‘spout’..?

Not meaning to quote you at all! More some of my work colleagues and their partners that seem to use nursery/school as an excuse. Put your teacher defence mechanism back in it’s pouch HH! 😀

househusband

Lol – cheers!

*hugs*

wilburt
    Free Member

Combination of avoidance and prevention.

Eating well and avoiding unecassarry contamination may help but mostly I would recommend loads of outdoor exercise and using your body for what it was designed, never has the saying “use it or lose it” been truer.

I haven’t had a cold or whatever you call it for years.

vorlich
    Free Member

Neti pot to clear out your nose holes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cod liver oil plus vitamin B complex work for me.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Being diabetic I assumed heat my immune system may not be brilliant but as it turns out it’s only my lymphocytes that protect me from bacterial infections that were low……but so was my vitamin D…….now on vitamin D3 supplements courtesy of an efficient doctor who believes that it will correct not just the lymphocyte count but also possibly some other issues….and I was able to drop one of my diabetic meds!
    Whole family have been ill with coughs and colds on and off for the past year or so but I make a point of keeping them away with a big shitty stick and it works………touch wood…..l 😆

Clover

I forgot, my favourite cold prevention. I read an article about athletes apparently being more vulnerable to colds and as an aside it said that very little in the way of preventative measures appeared to work. The only thing that had a statistically significant correlation with fewer colds was quercetin. Which I googled. Turns out it’s a bioflavonoid present in red wine. Well, that’s my excuse anyway. Cheers 8)

rOcKeTdOg

Flu jab
    wash hands
    don’t touch your mouth/pick nose with unwashed hands
    Avoid people who cough/sneeze without covering their mouths
    lots of vitamin C

vickypea
    Free Member

Since I stopped running and did lots more cycling instead, I’ve had noticeably fewer colds.

globalti
    Free Member

The advice to take vitamin C is codswallop, literally. During a cold your body has a temporarily reduced ability to absorb vitammin C, which has given rise to another string of quack remedies claiming that vitamin C somehow helps you to fight off colds.

Wash hands on returning home, avoid touching eyes and nose and if you get a sore throat, try gargling 3 times a day with Corsodyl, which I have found can help you fight it off.

cheers_drive

I must be lucky as the only time I was my hands is after going to the loo yet very rarely get ill. I’m a strong believer of what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

rOcKeTdOg

I must be lucky as the only time I was my hands is after going to the loo yet very rarely get ill. I’m a strong believer of what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

Please never visit a hospital with that hand washing routine and attitude, people who act like that are why things like norovirus is so prevalent

natrix
    Free Member

I used to get a cold every time that I had a flu jab. The past few years I have had a few lemsips before and after the flu jab and that seems to have prevented the jab related cold taking hold.

A small tip that might help those who go for a flu jab 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I always get the feeling I’m getting a cold after the jab but never have in the last 8 years it’s probably psychosomatic

scaredypants

not psychosomatic, rd, it’s a low-grade “flu” response to the vaccine
    (unless you mean “as I’m rolling down my sleeve and walking out of the room”)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

psychosomatic

Thanks. Now I have the Pridigy/Breathe stuck in my head [which seems kinda appropriate].

teasel
    Free Member

Avoidance of colds and various other infections is a way of life not just something you do when you think colds are floating around.

As I’ve previously written, I use antiseptic wipes on trolleys before I use them. Weird? I don’t really give a shit as it cuts down on the risk. Items you’ve recently purchased and particularly those that are going to be used within 72 hours get a wipe down with IPA when I get home, too. Yes it’s a faff but I’d rather that than catch a cold. I cycle everywhere and it’s my main form of transport – if the engine’s stuffed so am I.

I understand that if you work in a closed environment with other people then it’s nigh on impossible to keep this up and you will inevitably catch something. I’m lucky; I don’t have daily contact with many people and can control the conditions very easily. When I do catch something it’s usually when I hire a car or just lose concentration with the avoidance procedure.

Stepsils contain two useful antibacterial agents. I suck on one if I think I’ve dropped my guard. It’s a bit better tasting than Corsodyl, too. I doubt it does much good once you’ve contracted something, though that’s generally when folk will be necking them. Whether or not they make any difference, I don’t know, but it works for me.

And for those claiming you’ll weaken your immune by not contracting a cold on a regular basis, when I do eventually catch something it leaves my body just as quick as when I caught them on a yearly basis, so I reckon that’s just a load of urban bollocks or something.

Cougar

And for those claiming you’ll weaken your immune by not contracting a cold on a regular basis,

No-one’s claimed that. Try again.

imnotverygood

Stepsils contain two useful antibacterial agents.

Yes, but a cold is a virus…

teasel
    Free Member

No-one’s claimed that.

And yet, with the addition of the ‘try again’ comment, you reveal you knew the meaning of that particular sentence, though I fail to see what you think I was ‘trying’ to achieve.

Yes, but a cold is a virus…

Indeed. Maybe the virus dislikes the flavour or something. 😉

I mentioned them as an alternative to Globalti’s Corsodyl suggestion, so more aimed at him than a bid to get folk to neck the bleeders willy nilly, though that’s exactly what I do – probably result in cancer or something…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ve got another one:

Sore throat?

Colgate total, gargle with a strong mix of it and water, or smear some into the creases of the tonsils a few times a day and at night.

Triclosan may prove to be risky in the long run, but it works wonders.

Cougar

And yet, with the addition of the ‘try again’ comment, you reveal you knew the meaning of that particular sentence, though I fail to see what you think I was ‘trying’ to achieve.

Well, what you were trying to achieve is to argue against something that you’ve misunderstood.

No-one claimed that “you’ll weaken your immune by not contracting a cold on a regular basis,” rather we’re asserting that your immune system will be stronger if it’s exposed to the normal background grot of everyday life. By sterilising everything you touch you’re actually weakening your immune system as it’s got nothing to do. You don’t have to “contract” anything, that’s not what we were saying.

teasel
    Free Member

smear some into the creases of the tonsils

…made me chuckle.

Weirdo!

yunki
    Free Member

I’m pretty much the exact opposite of teasel when it comes to errr, biological security relying on good diet and a robust immune system (they make documentaries about people with your illness teasel)

I rarely get a sniffle, but after 72 hours of a frightened 2 year old with pneumonia coughing into my face day and night a week or so ago I can feel a bit of a cold trying to get a foothold..

teasel
    Free Member

No-one claimed that “you’ll weaken your immune by not contracting a cold on a regular basis,” rather we’re asserting that your immune system will be stronger if it’s exposed to the normal background grot of everyday life. By sterilising everything you touch you’re actually weakening your immune system as it’s got nothing to do. You don’t have to “contract” anything, that’s not what we were saying.

Actually, someone above did but it was more of a question, but I didn’t aim that at anyone in particular, more a correction of a misunderstood concept.

But humour me for a moment – I see the use of ‘we’ a lot on this forum, particularly from members that have a P in front of their names and more so with those that have a capital – is there an unspoken, hidden clique on this forum that’s passed me by or something… 😉

But seriously, I seem to remember you and I having a similar discussion some months back and you suggesting that I was weakening my resistance to colds by avoiding contracting them, to which I replied as above; there seems little difference in their effect. So, although you haven’t claimed it on this thread, you have at a different time. I’ve just searched my history for the thread in case I remembered incorrectly but can’t locate it right now. But hey, it’s no biggy for me – just chewin’ the fat. If you don’t want to follow my advice or take my word as truthful that’s your choice.

ready

Stopped having flu jabs 5 years ago, not had the flu since. Stopped smoking 3 years ago, not had a cold since. Upped the biking/exercise which obviously helps too.

Drac

How go you get a cold virus from an inactive flu virus?

nickc

washing your hands is number 1. don’t touch your mouth and nose, and no food sharing/touching. hand round tissues to folk in the office. No need for alcohol wipes!!

teasel
    Free Member

No need for alcohol wipes!!

You go shopping and touch a trolley that’s been handled by who knows. You handle the packaging that’s been touched by shop workers with a potential virus and continue to the till. You touch your wallet and car keys in paying for and transporting your goods to your vehicle. You get home and touch your house keys and door handles, cupboards, fridge etc. all the time avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth but potentially spreading an unseen contaminate pretty much everywhere you’ve been. At what point would an antiseptic or alcohol wipe be ineffective at controlling that spread?

Edit : Or even eradicating it from the surfaces you’ve touched.

br
    Free Member

You go shopping and touch a trolley that’s been handled by who knows. You handle the packaging that’s been touched by shop workers with a potential virus and continue to the till. You touch your wallet and car keys in paying for and transporting your goods to your vehicle. You get home and touch your house keys and door handles, cupboards, fridge etc. all the time avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth but potentially spreading an unseen contaminate pretty much everywhere you’ve been. At what point would an antiseptic or alcohol wipe be ineffective at controlling that spread?

Didn’t realise that Howard Hughes was on STW? 😯

yunki
    Free Member

Teasel… You have a medical condition there I think..

Err, are trips to the shops your only contact with the outside world?

nickc

just wash your hands, and don’t touch your face. Can’t remember that last cold I had (maybe a year ago?), but I don’t use alcohol wipes.

but look, if you’re content to carry on, don’t worry about it. If it works for you…

dazh

My main strategy to avoid a cold is to avoid travelling on trains or planes. Quite obvious really but all the colds I’ve had this year have been acquired (I assume) on one of these.

somafunk

I’m another odd one that uses antibacterial wipes or gels when i can, a quick wipe of the basket handle or trolley handle every time as the hygiene standards of some folk leaves a lot to be desired, never touch door handles etc – you see folk stuffing crap into their faces then they go and smear their greasy **** fingers all over everything without a thought (i doubt they have a thought in their heads anyway).

An example : I work in a food enviroment as a chocolatier, leading up to xmas every packer in the place had a cold/runny nose at some point yet they continued to blow their nose and stuff the snot ridden rag into their pocket and carry on working without washing their hands, very rarely do they wash their hands after going to the toilet (it’s a small work place so i know this) yet they have all done the basic food hygiene courses so are aware of the risks but in reality they are all in the hanging lower jaw of the intelligence spectrum, plenty of other hygiene cock-ups but these are the worst – despite my best efforts i caught the lurgy that has laid me out totally over xmas/new year so i’ll be doubling my efforts when i decide to go back to work, I’m meant to be back Monday but **** that – i’m taking a week off to do stuff i had planned for the xmas/new year break.

jools182
    Free Member

I think I’ve got it 🙁

Tickly throat last night, today I feel like I’ve been run over

Was eating OK this morning and early afternoon, but been feeling nauseous too this afternoon

Just drank some juice and brought it back up

Anyone else spewed with flu /bad cold?

nickc

But somafunk, if you are teasel are correct, then the rest of us should be bags of snot almost continually…but yet we’re not.

MSP

never touch door handles

You must be an angry cop, with a partner due for retirement and a boss with an explosive temper. In the real world it is considered impolite to kick down doors.

teasel
    Free Member

Err, are trips to the shops your only contact with the outside world?

🙂

I simply use it as an example because I believe it’s the most common place to contract a virus etc. As I wrote earlier, I have daily contact with a small handful of people and I can control that a lot easier than, say, a work place where there’s a hundred odd people to cope with.

And yes, I’m fully aware of my ‘medical condition’, thanks. In fact some folk from these shores can tell of my dislike of shaking hands and my way around that awkward and unhygienic social interaction.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘How to avoid catching colds/flu’ is closed to new replies.