• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to add bling to a titanium frame?
  • BigJohn

A friend of mine has a 29er Litespeed titanium singlespeed hardtail (Obed?) that he loves.

He can’t find another 29er titanium singlespeed frame and as this one hasn’t cracked yet he’s going to tart it up a bit. He’s looking at bolting on a whole load of Enve onto it.

What’s the best way to make the frame look bling? (Think of a candidate for the museum of bad taste here. The garish wing, specifically). I suggested getting the gear cable guides ground off and getting it part-anodised (flame effect, no doubt) but is this even possible? And if so, who can do it?

Last year I tried get him to look at a Salsa El Mariachi from Charlie the Bikemonger but that didn’t really float his boat.

tomhoward

A sticker with the price of everything should help

cynic-al
    Free Member

Forget the bike just get a load of gold taps for the house.

Join a golf club.

Drop wallet inside and ask for help picking it up as it’s so heavy.

BigJohn

Done all that.

Wookster

Moots will have a bling singlespeed frame, Alchemy also, lots of super bling Ti frames about. He’s not trying hard enough….or isn’t going Bling enough with the frame!

breninbeener

On Moots website they show some fab finishes with engraved headtubes and polished and anodised finishes…they look divine!

shermer75
    Free Member

What colour is the frame? Bare Ti? If so anodised headset, hubs and bb can look nice and bling…

shermer75
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A sticker with the price of everything should help

😆

Always thought ‘bling’ meant ‘tacky, expensive, superfluous’. Should be an easy enough task. Goldinium spokey-dokeys? Svaroski (sp?) crystal dust-tcaps?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You can anodise raw Ti with a paintbrush, a DC power supply and an acidic solution, eg coke.

Varying the voltage changes the colour within the range of gold to deep purple. You could conceivably draw an outline pattern and make a totally unique design on the frame.

I know that is how some framebuilders decal their To frames.

Pretty sure there’s videos on YouTube showing you how to do it.

nairnster
    Free Member

Custom saddle from The Grafton Saddler.

BigJohn

Are there any anodising companies that can do a single frame? There used to be somebody called “Steve the anodiser” but his trail seems to have gone cold.

beaker

Enigma should be able to do something nice to the frame.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I put some some Fox SC Factory forks (orange) on mine!
    Add some orange Hope goodies and that will set it off a treat!
    Max

walleater

Here you go John 😉 Highly boring video but the knife looks pretty cool.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_isXs38jI[/video]

intrincycle
    Free Member

Titanium needs etching really to get a good looking anodized finish, and that’s where things get really dangerous.
    You need a decent power supply, use a basic 20v power supply and the anodising will dull from touching it.
    You need far higher voltages for bright colours.

BigJohn

Enigma look expensive enough so Enigma it is.

nedrapier
    JoeG
    Free Member
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to add bling to a titanium frame?’ is closed to new replies.