Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How tight should shock hardware be?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

So, I’ve a brand new RockShox Deluxe Ultimate shock that I’ve pressed out the DU bush from in order to fit a TFTuned hardware kit to. The poly bushes pressed in firmly and snugly, but the metal pin will only go in part way by hitting with a hammer. There is no way it’s gonna go all the way through and allow for any fine tuning to get it spaced equally on each side, let alone articulate within the poly bushes.

Any ideas?

Davesport

No ideas! It shouldn’t be that tight. I’ve fitted the HD bush kit in several bikes as the lower DU bushes are prone to wear. I’d contact TF. That’s where I purchased mine from. They’ve always been helpful on the phone.

Northwind

It should be sort of resisty but not hammer resisty.

Actually that reminded me that I had a bushing from TF for a cane creek a little while back and it was like this. I just assumed I’d screwed it up somehow in the fitting and used another one I had.

weeksy

I’ve had various tension/stiffness. I guess in the last 2 years i’ve tried about 10 shocks, some are hard finger tight and some need winding in with the press tool. Doesn’t help much i admit.

endomick
    Free Member

It varies, some need a press tool or a socket piece with a bolt through, some just need a firm push, I had a similar issue a few weeks back swapping out my superdeluxe air for coil version, I always remove the DU bush but I went with Jtech as my size at TF was out of stock, but the pin kept pushing the igus bush out which was a real pita so ended up using a spare poly bush with the original and lighter rockshox pin and just used the two spacers with the o-rings as they’re better than rockshox ones. Seems both jtech and tftuned ones can give a bit of grief.

honourablegeorge

My mate was pressing a bushing into a Super Deluxe in my shed, and shattered my bench vice in the process.

I tapped it in with a hammer without much hassle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My mate was pressing a bushing into a Super Deluxe in my shed, and shattered my bench vice in the process.

I tapped it in with a hammer without much hassle.

Whhaaaaaaaaaat?!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

There are shocks out there with out of tolerance eyelets. Fox sell oversized bushings, which I assume are for a bad batch/series of their shocks.

So if you have got loose fitting hardware the Fox bushings might save you from buying a new shock!

Fox Bushings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How tight should shock hardware be?’ is closed to new replies.