Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How the…? (Borked washing machine content)
  • matt_outandabout

Our 8 year old LG spat water all over the floor today.
    Investigation has found a round hole, just smaller than a finger, in the drum on the edge of one of the support web/tabs which the drum is suspended on.
    I assumed something like a coin or key had got into the machine, but the trap is empty and nothing rattles.

I’m now thinking flex from the support tab has led to a weak spot…?

Anyway, a shame I can’t get the correct new tub in stock and so new wading machine has been ordered instead of of 1/3 of a new canoe we had saved…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like a Spot weld parted . Probably through 8 years of fatigue?

matt_outandabout

It’s the plastic outer drum – the one that contains the water.

lesgrandepotato

We had something similar. Heavy duty steel rod punched through the drum. JB weld sorted it. You may need a couple of fillets

jamesoz

It’s the plastic outer drum – the one that contains the water

As above. I used glass fibre from memory.
    I cut a hole in the side of the casing to avoid stripping it down.
    Pushed into place the hole couldn’t be seen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I was thinking the stainless drum. If it’s just the plastic one I’d be getting out the p38 ….or what ever it is you use to fix your canoes.

theotherjonv

new wading machine has been ordered instead of of 1/3 of a new canoe we had saved…

Is it leaking that bad?

But really – unless desperately anti-credit, AO have got loads on Buy Now, pay in 12 months interest free. You have to pay the minimum by DD monthly and the rest by the end of 12mo, but I just set the DD to be the amount owed / 12

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not pressurised. Definitely worth a shot with the fibre glass repair kit or similar.

stumpyjon

Had a similar issue today, luckily it was a tear in the door seal, still £60 for replacement though. At least it is replaceable. Good luck with drum repair.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Other option is to drill it out and screw an appropriately sized (and lengthed, really important in this case) bolt into it. I may have done that with a diesel tank that has held fast since. Of course that’s assuming the drum has enough clearance.

Actually that doesn’t sound like a good solution in this case. I’d repair the hole as above.

turboferret

I’d certainly be putting a fiberglass patch or similar over the hole.  I’ve recently had to discard a 5 year old washing machine as the main bearing had gone, and with a sealed tub it’s impossible to replace.  £500 unit thrown away because of a £15 part, as the manufacturers wanted to save a few quid on a welded tub instead of bolted.  Unimpressed would be an understatement…

matt_outandabout

If anyone wants it for free, we have chosen to go for a new machine as mrs_oab is not convinced of a repair.

Fully working LG of about 7 years age – touchscreen operation and works very well.

One small hole….

giant_scum
    Free Member

How many previous owners?

funkrodent

Can you post?

footflaps

Do you have it in small?

soundninjauk

I’d like it but I’m out of the country. I can send someone to pick it up?

fasthaggis

Is this still available?
    Can you deliver to Edinburgh ?
    What’s your lowest price?
    Do you accept returns?
    😆 🤣

TiRed

Speaking of which, I am loath to part with my 20 year old Miele, but we have a free replacement from our neighbour who is moving. If anyone wants a boat anchor of a machine that does work, let me know before I freecycle.

matt_outandabout

Can you post?
    I’d like it but I’m out of the country. I can send someone to pick it up?
    Is this still available?
    Do you have it in small?
    Can you deliver to Edinburgh ?
    What’s your lowest price?
    Do you accept returns?

Far too much correct spelling and grammar here.

“u abe delever m8 i stay cummernold.”

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.