Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How strict are Sleasyjet on their weight allowance for bikes?
  • pushbikerider
    Free Member

Evening all – just checking to see if anyone has flown with Easyjet recently and can comment on how strict they are about the weight allowance for bikes?

A group of us are looking to get to Grenoble later in the year and were thinking of using Easyjet, you can add on a bike as an extra item but it looks like they only have a weight allowance of 12kg on the bike package.

Has anyone been charged excess on their bike package? And – any other airlines we should consider who might be better value?

Thanks in advance…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think it’s less the airline more the airport that people have problems with. Two years ago I took my DH bike to France via Geneva. The bag weighed 32kg on the way out of Gatwick with EasyJet and there were no problems. Then on the way back, the Geneva staff got very arsey with the weight and it cost me an extra £120.

It’s so hit and miss though; so many other people will say they’ve never had a problem.

uplink
    Free Member

It seems to depend more on the check-in staff & location rather than company policy

East Midlands have collared me once out of 3 trips for excess baggage
    Newcastle every time out of 4 or 5
    Luton never out of 3

Never been an issue coming back

Mates have had similar results

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_C

The 12kg weight allowance is an extra allowable weight over the standard 20kg weight allowance.
    i.e.,you are allowed 32kg in total,which includes bike plus other luggage.

james
    Free Member

Its 12kg additional on top of your standard 20kg
    The bike box can be anything upto 32kg (and purchasing the bike allowance counts as a bag so doens’t require you to up your bag number (of 1)

I took a 29kg bike box and 9kg bag last june and the woman at the check in (east midlands) let me through on the quiet (Though I had zero hand baggage). Other mates with me got stung with the £6/kg.
    On the way back I made sure my handbaggage had as much weight in as possible (though left out anything remotely considerable as dangerous (tools etc..) Bike box + bag combined were just under 32kg then

uplink
    Free Member

Well I posted that before seeing GTs post & I guess it concurs 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Another issue with Easyjet is their apparently contradictory Ts&Cs

If you read the bit about bikes it reads …

Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)
    An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items as set out in our carrier’s regulations.
    Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.
    Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Then if you go look at the ‘carrier’s regulations’ it seems to indicate that the bike’s weight shouldn’t incur excess fees

(1) Carriage of bicycles:

Passengers travelling with bicycles are recommended to check-in 2 hours prior to departure. Bicycles are subject to the sports equipment fee and exempt from any excess baggage charges relating to the weight of the bicycle.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Your bike does not count towards your luggage weight.

It used to be that you had 20kg hold +12kg extra for the bike fee, which required careful packaging.

Now, its hold bag up to 20kg + bike bag (up to 32kg)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How strict are Sleasyjet on their weight allowance for bikes?’ is closed to new replies.