Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How stable is your weight day to day?
  • didnthurt

I weigh myself every morning after going to the toilet and before eating breakfast.

My weight for the last 3 weeks has been almost the exact same every day. This isn’t a round number either, its 80.70kg.

I’m in my mid forties and ride regularly and eat pretty healthily. I’ve a bit of a belly but not particularly overweight (typical dad bod). I’ve tried weighing myself other parts of the day and the scales record my weight higher which I’d expect after eating and drinking.

So is this common? Does anybody else have a very stable weight?

Just find this all a bit strange as my weight in the past has fluctuated by as much as a kg or two from day to day.

ton

yes, i am always over 20 stone…………. ;o)

grahamt1980

Scales broken?
    Mine can stay constant for a few days but mostly it varies by anything up to a kg depending on various things

didnthurt

Weighed myself at other times and got my son to weigh himself on the same scales. Seems to be working fine.

ta11pau1

Yep mine fluctuates within a kilo or so – if you’re weighing yourself every day and trying to lose weight, just track the general trend rather that each day in isolation.

It’d be strange if I was the same exact weight every day though.

13thfloormonk

Very unstable!

It used to be pretty much 85kg on the nose, no matter what, but now I can fluctuate between 86kg and 89kg.

I suspect it is all to do with water retention, I’m bad at binging on salty snacks/midweek beers and it plays havoc, whereas if I just have a cheeky whisky I think I pee out more than I retain. Should start having a whisky before any big riding days! 😎

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve been between 12 and 12.5 stone all my adult life, so best part of 40 years.

Still fitted into my #2 wedding suit (2003), before I lobbed it in a clear out earlier this year and TBH I’d probably get into my #1 wedding suit (1989) if I had it.

didnthurt

Not necessarily targeting losing weight, just trying to cut out eating outside my 3 meals a day.
    I have lost weight this year, down from a high of 84kg. My body over the last couple of years seems to like to be around 81-82kg, not 80.7kg

leffeboy

within a kilo or so but recognise that some scales seem to cheat to make themselves seem more stable.  So, if I weigh myself and then pick up something weighing 500g and weigh myself again the scales just show my original weight.  Even if I step off and on again they show the original weight.  However, if I make the scales show something different and then stand on again they will show the 500g difference.  It might be your scales are doing a clever version of that from day to day where they don’t show the change unless it is outside a certain range so you think they are more accurate.

Try standing on the scales again but holding 2kg of flour and see if the scales weigh exactly 2kg more

didnthurt

I’ll maybe change the battery and see if it changes the weight.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I havent weighed myself in years!

I am slightly heavier than I have been, but not as big as I have been

simondbarnes

Thanks for the chuckle Ton 🙂

I don’t weigh myself very often but I generally know to within a kilo what I weigh. Things hurt more if I’ve put on a bit of weight and my trousers fall down if I’ve lost a bit.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Very unstable. Trying to lose weight for last 3 months. Have lost 9kg so far. BUT its horrible going to the scales feeling good, having done all the right things the day before and seeing you have put weight on.

Tuesday = 94.4kg Had a great day with eating. Did 1hr in the gym the day before. Felt great.
    Wednesday = 94.6kg Gutted, hoped to be close to breaking the 94kg 🙁 Did another hour in the gym.

However, i hadnt had a dump so that could be it.

Trying to get from 103kg when i started to 85-90kg (Depending on how much muscle i add) which will put me close to my 25yr old fittest ever weight.

mattyfez

I think the best way is to weigh every day, say after your morning dump but before breakfast..but then take the average for the week as your ‘actual’ weight.

That way it irons out daily normal fluctuations, food in stomach, water in bladder, general water retention etc.

As said you can easily fluctuate by 1 kilo +/- a day anyway, so one figure in isolation isn’t really representative.

funkmasterp

What are you hoping to gain by weighing yourself every day? Best thing I was ever taught was to take measurements, waist, chest etc. If you want to check your weight and track an increase or decrease then once per week or less even should suffice.

scotroutes

Like you my weight is very stable. I probably weigh myself every week or two though, not daily. It’s never more than 0.2Kg different over that period regardless of whether I’ve been exercising or over-indulging.

kelvin

I haven’t weighed myself for 20+ years.

smokey_jo

13st 2lb to 13st 5lb is normal daily variation for me. Often depends if I have a meat/carbs based tea or mainly veggies

didnthurt

Weigh myself every day just as part of my morning routine. Also just curious to see what my weight is. It does also help me see if I’m starting to get heavier as a trend.

In 2020 I went from 86kg to 74kg when training for the Cairngorm Loop 200 ride. I was back above 80kg by the Christmas and it continued back upto 85kg last year. Just would like to nip in the bud if my weight started heading back upto 85/6kg.

jamesoz

Easily have a 1kg variation through the day but I do weigh nearly 100kg so it’s only 1%.

Probably vary a few kg through the month

asbrooks

I fluctuate between 78 & 81kgs depending on how much exercise I do and how regimented I am on my food intake.
    I’m soon to reach 55 and spend most of my working day glued to a desk and computer

Stainypants

Day to Day about 2kg but if I go a few days off carbs it will drop about 4kg

Daffy

70.5-72.2kg on an ad-hoc daily basis. I’d class myself as 71kg.

slowoldman

My adult weight has always been pretty stable but at different values over the years depending on my activity. Natural weight around 9.5 stones. When I was a keen rock climber doing a lot of training – running, gym work, etc. – I got to over 10 stone but still pretty stable. After that back to 9.5. Now when I retired I went down fairly quickly to just over 9 stone (not so many bacon butties, pastries and post work pints) where I have remained for about 3 years. Week on week variance is probably less than 1 pound.

spooky_b329

We had some electric scales that would read 2-3kg difference every time you stood on then.

Apparently the tolerance can be quite wide as you are using 4 load cells (?) each of which has a tolerance which gets aggregated. Presumably temperature or voltage could put them all towards one end of the tolerance.

So I bought some better scales (body mass measuring ones) and they gave a rock solid weight each time like the OP, but as someone else suggested, I think they just remembered the first weight. Annoying when you want to hold the cat to weigh it!

They’ve broken now so thinking about getting some old fashioned dial ones, don’t really like the glass top all the Digi ones come with as I tend to stand it against the wall in a tiled bathroom.

dyna-ti

I go up and down by about a kilo on a regular basis.

Usually about mid morning.

chrismac

I fluctuate up and down by about 1kg all the time

mccraque

I have noticed that I am a massive fatty post knee op – so staying off the scales for a few weeks and not telling Zwift either.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.