Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How soon after a broken wrist…?
  • becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got a hairline fracture in my wrist (did it on Monday). Just wondering if anyone else has broken a wrist…and how long after did you start riding again?

iainc

dunno about breaks but i sprained mine 2 sundays ago and it still hurts a lot and I doubt if I could ride yet – might try road bike this Sun.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

7 weeks after a full break for me…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I mashed mine up a fair bit a couple of years back. About 6 fractures across the end of the radius, but all the bits stayed in place.

Was commuting on it (in a cast) after 2 weeks, offroad after 4, then went on a 2 week riding holiday in the Alps 5 weeks after the break/36hours after getting the cast off.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

3 years or so here. 9 months off work, career ender (hence the trowel being rusty). Mind you, i made a proper job of it – dislocated 90 degrees, radius in small bits, broke end off ulner, 3 operations, bone graft from hip, ex-fix for months, broke other elbow at the same time. Bl**dy bmx's – took up mountainbikng after this for a safer alternative (yeah right!).
    Apparently in a few years when technology and research allow, they might be able to do a replacement like with hips, but it'll have to be hurting a lot more than it does now for me to go for that.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they might be able to do a replacement like with hips

when I went recently to see about a new finger joint, they said:
    a) I'd have to be in significant pain (there is none)
    b) they don't like to fit them to young (hah!), active people as they wear out

sputnik
    Free Member

Not the same for everyone. Broke my wrist , had it in plaster for 6 weeks. When the plaster came off it was unbelievably stiff and painful to move. So waited another 6 weeks and slowly took up riding again. Took much longer than I thought. But, like I said, it is different for everyone.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

As above, if it's plastered, then recovery can take a while. The year before i did the wrist, i dislocated and broke my thumb and had it in plaster for 6 weeks or so. It took a fair while to get the strength up and stop it looking like a thin twig. Laying bricks again about 3 months after doing it and riding bmx (cautiously with wrist protector) about the same.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yeah, mine was plastered for 6 weeks, so I went out on the first ride after it was removed – and as (mis)luck would have it, fell on it first time out – but it was fine 🙂

br
    Free Member

i was lucky, broke so bad that i had metal inserted (and no cast).

riding my m/c after 4 weeks and mtbing after 5 weeks

At an appointment after 3 months the consultant who was very happy with my full 'movement', looked at my notes and said that i'd probably be fine riding again…

How soon after a broken wrist…?can you start masturbation?

steveh

If you're keen to get going soon have a chat with these guys…
    http://www.physioclinic.net/index.html
    I know a few people who've used them one was back riding 4 weeks after a bad collar bone break, another with a broken wrist was back after 2 weeks. They do lots of stuff with mxers, road racers etc as well as mountain bikers. Think the cost was about £200.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

?can you start masturbation?

unless you break both wrists normal service can be maintained 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Nicky – ages when it's both arms! My wrist had no plaster, just a titanium contraption holding the pins in place. Tends to get you some odd looks walking around with that on your arm.

Bregante

I broke my scaphoid and trapezoid bones in my wrist in October and was in a cast until January. I tried my first ride about three weeks ago, after doing extensive physio on it to try to get it up to strength. Whilst it was far from perfect, I am advised that after 8 weeks (ish) the bone should have fused and any pain you feel would be from soft tissue damage and I survived a fairly rocky 11 mile ride at about 70% my normal pace downhill. It hurt for a few days after though and not ridden much since through snow/excuses/lethargy.

stealthcat

I think JonEdwards would agree with the recommendation for the physioclinic guys – he went there as a "try anything to get back on the bike quicker" and it did seem to help, though it's hard to tell how much difference it makes…

johnners
    Free Member

I went on a mtbing holiday 2 days after breaking my wrist. That was a bit stupid, but I got away with it.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Snapped my Radius a couple of years ago and in plaster for six weeks. Plaster came off on a Thursday and went out the following Saturday a bought a roadie. Was out that afternoon.
    Painful and very stiff mind. 😕

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I'm contemplating riding in the cast, but I don't want to do any more damage (equally I don't want to lose fitness…I've got a busy summer ahead) and I miss riding already!

Bregante

I'm contemplating riding in the cast, but I don't want to do any more damage

If you don't want to risk further damage then don't ride until it's healed. Go running or get a turbo trainer instead.

TomHill
    Free Member

Screwed mine up a couple of years ago. Rode with cast on for pretty much the entire time I had it… was pretty uncomfortable sometimes. Cast came of after 5 weeks, and I was riding on it after 2 weeks. Sensibly decided to test it by pushing bike up Snowdon and riding back down. All was good. Wrist continued to ache after riding for quite a while. Still get the odd ache and pain (as I do with all my old broken bones), but has never stopped me doing anything.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

it would appear 5 days is too soon…alas, I shall keep trying…or else take up running or something

Chew
    Free Member

becky – sounds like a similar fracture to you. 6 weeks with my wrist in plaster.

first 2 weeks uncomfortable not able to grip with the hand
    next 2 weeks managable
    last 2 weeks used it as normal.

Biggest thing was muscle wasteage around the wrist. Take it easy and your body will let you know when its ready.

iainc

I have a spained wrist at moment which happened 2 weeks ago and still painful – I was wondering if using the 'Powerball' would help or aggravate ??

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

If its still painful don't use a powerball, my brothers got one and they really do give the wrist a workout! it'd probably be good once you're healed to get the strength back though!

tried riding again today…still not happening.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Fracture clinic today…I've got a soft cast for 2 weeks and then (hopefully) it should all be "fixed". Supposed to be going to Woburn at the weekend as well as training for some big rides…hopefully it'll be alright enough to ride this week.
    Bought a 661 guard for after as well

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I fractured my wrist about 10 years ago ffalling off my bike in China. Didn't realise it at the time (thought I had sprained it) so drove home and borrowed a bit of tubigrip then went out to watch 5N (at the tiem) rugby (eng v wales iirc) and then out all night partying. The Alcohol must have been covering the pain because the next morning was no fun at all.

I was 6 weeks in plaster after which I was pretty much immediately able to ride but the pain (more like an ache really) stayed for a long time after.

maxray
    Free Member

I broke mine last Feb, had a cast for 6 weeks, can't imagine how people manage to ride in a cast.. crazy! After the cast came off the range of movement was limited until i went in goal at 5 aside and saved a shot thus really bending it back, been sorted since then, must have been scar tissue or something 😀

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

all in all around 9 months 3 operations, some get back on after a few weeks others over a year. really depends on exactly what you did, the damage and what was done to repair!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

CTI, the knee brace people do a really nice brace if its really damaged. Costs loads though, so i've got a similar one for about 30 quid. Doesn't stop it aching but hopefully might prevent too much damage in future crashes. Gives a bit more confidence and peace of mind too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How soon after a broken wrist…?’ is closed to new replies.