Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • helmets useless in major bike accidents says new study
  • mt
    Free Member

no it will not but if buy a helmet with out vents you’ll be able to use it at the other end if caught short.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you want to be ok in a 20mph plus accident you’d be far safer wearing a motorcycle helmet. Push bike helmets are primarily designed to protect the rider from falling and striking their head on the ground and not some massive road traffic collision.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Getting run over by a bus/car/lorry etc won’t be mitigated by a bit of polystyrene on your bonce. But having smashed up my fair share of lids,I can vouch for their usefulness. Having said that anything that happens depends on luck too – just check out my neighbors car from a 120 foot cliff dive a couple of years ago – he more or less walked away from Hospital the next day!
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/20471304@N08/6964433439/][/url]
    Cliff Diver by sangobegger, on Flickr

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ransos – I don’t think folk on here do realise how little protection a helmet offers judging by the “helmet saved my life” posts we keep on getting.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

helmets seatbelts are much less effective than most people believe and in some circumstance exacerbate injury

hugor
    Free Member

His team pointed to evidence in Australia where 80 per cent of cyclists killed or seriously injured were wearing helmets.

Helmet compliance in Australia is very close to 100% as its been legislation for quite some time now, and its just an accepted part of cycling.
    Going cycling without a helmet is like cycling without a bike!

By inference given that only 80% of cyclists killed were wearing helmets, its logical to conclude that not wearing helmets killed the other 20%. 😆

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos – I don’t think folk on here do realise how little protection a helmet offers judging by the “helmet saved my life” posts we keep on getting.

Following an accident last year I was pretty surprised at how relatively small an impact was required to crack a helmet. Sure, I hit my head on the ground, but not with any great force. I strongly suspect that my helmet saved me a trip to A&E, but I don’t think one can infer that a cracked helmet stopped a fractured skull…

sssimon
    Free Member

it’s like saying a bulet proof vest won’t save you if you’re shot by a 50 cal rifle when there are also lots of people shooting at you with handguns

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘helmets useless in major bike accidents says new study’ is closed to new replies.