Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How secure are shipping containers in the woods?
  • menace
    Free Member

Want to locate one in my woods (c. 15 miles from home) to store things in. Will be fitted with a lock box on door.

Anyone tried this and did it get broken into?

Ideally wanted to keep a mini tractor in there as well but starting to think that might be too risky in terms of getting it nicked. Anyone done this?

No public access into woods but based in south east so always people around in the wider area

jimdubleyou

I would be investing in a tracker for the tractor…

Any sort of lock is going to be easy to get through with an angle grinder and there’s not going to be anybody around to hear / see it…

Kuco

15 miles from home in the woods, disc cutter would soon get through. I’ve seen the back of container cut off before and everything took.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Container walls are very thin. A battery powered grinder with a cutting disc would be through in no time.

avdave2

Could you introduce wolves to your wood?

DickBarton

I’ve seen enough crime shows to suggest they don’t rust, are bulletproof, can hold bodies for months and months and last years and years…but I’ve also seen a few apart in a matter of months from the elements and easily opened up…I’d be very careful about a final decision on that.

burko73

They’re pretty easily defeated even with a lock box if they’re out of the way and it’s known that there might be chainsaws etc in there. Chainsaws and mini tractors etc are like catnip to some of our travelling friends…

I guess you could just make sure it’s tucked away somewhere, isn’t shiny and obvious, has a shed alarm or looks like it has and whatever is inside is insured and your insurer is happy with your defences.

molgrips
    Free Member

Put it another way. If you were locked out, and didn’t care about damaging it, how would you get in? And how long would it take?

nealglover
    Free Member

They are amazingly easy to cut though (ignoring the doors/lock) just make a new door in the thin metal on the sides.

CountZero

I’ve seen enough crime shows to suggest they don’t rust,

The replacement window company next to where I used to work had one out the front of their building – the roof was like lace, it was so rotten!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

You’d need a concrete bunker with nuclear blast doors over your metal container to offer up any kind of resistance!

menace
    Free Member

Interesting thanks guys

Maybe time for a rethink

Pain as will have to hire kit every time I want to do something eg a mini digger

Looked into storage off site but at £150 pm for a container in a secure compound gets expensive quite quickly plus you have to go any get it every time

Cheers all

Klunk
    Free Member

mini digger ? could bury it and encase it in concrete ala Colin Furze.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It didn’t work for the Teddy Bears.

They had their picks nicked.

In retrospect it wasn’t the big surprise that they made it out to be.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We have three on the farm.

A Farmer can get in secured and protected containers in less than 3mins with a grinder and good old Yorkshire grit and determination 🤣

(wife lost the set of keys for the 4 different types of locks we have on each one of them)

I would be very weary of leaving even an empty container in the South East, never mind one that’s got stuff in it.

You could paint it Camo’ s’pose and try to “hide” it.

But someone will camp out in it within 11mins of you locking it up 🤷‍♂️

slartybartfast
    Free Member

Not very secure at all if left unattended, if you cut the pins that hold the doors on, you get access in minutes, with no mess or damage to what’s inside.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Had to break into one with a lock box (lost the key). Didn’t take long with an angle grinder

andy4d

Interesting to read all the opinions that they are not very secure. The bike rental/shop at my local trail centre has 2. 1 for the bikes and 1 as the wee shop and it is miles from anywhere. They must have a good insurance policy.

bodgy
    Free Member

A thousand curses upon whoever invented the battery powered angle grinder.

leegee

My dad had a container in a field not far from where he lived and even thought it was empty it had multiple break in attempts. The seal between the doors was cut so they could look inside once. In the end he left it unlocked.

footflaps

Hamsterly forest DH club used to have one at the top of one of the descents for storing trail building stuff in…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

arrggh I thought that thought last week seeing a Lidl advert for battery grinder, £29 or somesuch throwaway price.

*nothingissafe

footflaps

Although to be fair if you D-lock lock mechanism jams, they are a god send….

nedrapier

One was being used for storage near some ongoing works on the A287 near Hindhead.

as per nealglover, someone just made a new door in the thin metal on the sides.

natrix
    Free Member

A year or so back one of the containers that the Royal Engineers use to store wire and stuff for their explosive demonstrations was broken into. The thieves had cut down a barbed wire fence, knocked over a wooden fence and then cut into the container, all despite the military presence and just to get a few spools of wire……..

Could you leave the mini tractor inside without the wheels?

andytherocketeer

Club I used to fly model aircraft with had one in the middle of nowhere that had been craned into a load of trees, totally not visible from anywhere around. Not visible on Google satellite view either. The location had been specifically chosen and agreed with farmer to not bring attention to non-farming “permanent” facilities on a spare bit of land.

Broken in to within weeks.

Do scrotes have a network of eyes all over the countryside looking for any kind of “interesting” activity, like a crane in a farm field?  Or are they just magnetic and get attracted to anything metal nearby when looking for somewhere to flytip?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Farms are always targets. Lots of untraceable machinery, often self powered, often easy to hotwire, often not very well locked away or protected.

The one near us is CCTV city. And they only have cows and horses *.

* on display by the roadside that is, elsewhere on site they run a second hand tractors and tractor accessories shop.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Another add from me..

Those three containers on the farm have been scouted many times by the local “ruffians on Quadbikes” & “suspicious characters in knackered white transits”

They, like they do on most farms round that way, just drive up the yard.. take photos of the yard then turn around and drive out again.

Doesnt matter if you are in the garden watching them, they just flick the V’s and saunter off to the next farm..

The Police, bless em’, do drive round in X5’s on the odd occasion but when you mention it to them they say “until they break the Law, we can’t (won’t) do anything”

Doesnt seem to bother the scrotes that the Yorkshire Police HQ is 1/2 mile down the road either..

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not even secure enough to stop a bear breaking into them for a poo in peace.

poly
    Free Member

I worked in one for several months. They drip condensation on you in cold weather. Worth bearing in mind if you are putting something inside it – it might not be as dry as you hope!

Would any of those ringo type CCTV cameras connected to a 4G router (or old phone) provide enough early warning that someone was there to turn up?

Can you secure access to the way in / out to delay them?

If I owned a wood, I’d definitely want to be able to keep tools etc there, what this is telling me is the extra expense of a container may not be worth it compared to a shed, or even a box trailer with clamps on it. What do the insurers say?

senorj

What you need to do is bury it & then landscape a cheeky batman type entrance for the digger.
    Didn’t someone off here have a field with a massive bunker in it?
    There was a video I’m sure….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Meanwhile, on the road outside maccruiskeens garden……

senorj

that’s the one PP.
    🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How secure are shipping containers in the woods?’ is closed to new replies.