Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How remote have you been?
  • ton

where is the moste remote place you have ever been on the bike?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yorkshire – I made it back to civilisation….just

Frankenstein
    Free Member

In a desert Australia after the car broke down.

Bregante

I strayed “beyond the fence” at llandegla once

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Back of Nationwide, Swindon

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

on a bike – west coast of scotland
    without a bike (unfortunately) – arctic circle in norway, camped here for a month…

hmm can’t get google maps link to work but if you type Øksfjordjøkulen glacier norway into google maps we were on the north side of that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On a bike? One of the remote corners of scotland. Its about as far as you can get from a road in Europe.

This is a long way from tarmac[/url] Tandem leaving Fealar Lodge by paul.newman4279, on Flickr[/img]

junior
    Free Member

8km from a road in the uk. 3 days in NZ.

portlyone

I was stood by myself in the middle of the Madre De Dios region of the Amazon rainforest investigating leaf-cutter ants for my IB Diploma. I was 16 at the time and miles from anything human.

On a bike? Glossop is quite remote 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

On a bike? One of the remote corners of scotland. Its about as far as you can get from a road in Europe.

This is a long way from tarmac
    Bit irresponsible being that isolated and not wearing a helmet there TJ 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

Float plane trip to Warner lake in BC. 3 hours on dirt / unmade roads to get to the lodge where the plane flew from, then 20 miles from where we landed back to Tyax lodge.

The pilot (who had tenure on the area) didn’t know of anyone else in the area for 20k. Which is 1200sqkm to ourselves and some grizzlies.

IMG_2979.jpg by Ewan Panter, on Flickr

IMG_3003.jpg by Ewan Panter, on Flickr

darrell
    Free Member

arse end of nowhere in Norway….oh wait, that’s where live

tonyplym
    Free Member

Akbaital Pass, on the M41 (which runs through the Pamir mountains in Tajikistan).

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I took my bike with me to the Falklands. Does that count?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Probably the Negev desert, but the road was fairly busy so in reality it wasn’t particularly remote it was more scenary and heat made it feel like it was.

Drac

Calderdale.

TonyL
    Free Member

Okavango delta, Botswana, kevlar strips between the tyres and tubes and lots of slime in the tubes as there are so many thorns hidden in the sand.

sm
    Free Member

I went to the principality just over the bridge and even had to pay to go over! 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Not very. Probably the Long Mynd 😆 or maybe a few km into the last setion Comfortably Numb @ Lost Lake. So not very remote at all.

Ambrose

Central Iceland

momentum
    Free Member

Love scotland but don’t really think anywhere there is remote compared to bits of the real north of Europe. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Finnish Lapland. Most remote place I have been was 50km from the nearest road (directly back where we had come from). Closest road apart from that was about 120km.

sturmey
    Free Member

In 1987 was fortunate to be selected to go to the Hymalayas with Yorkshire Schools Exploring Society. Unfortunately I was selected to be part of the trekking group not the mountain bike group. Both parties started in Phalgam and ended in Srinagar. I did ride one of the bikes in Phalgam (the pedal fell off) and then again our paths crossed not far away from Amarnath Cave on a glacier we were walking up they were coming down and boasting how they hadn’t had to turn a pedal all day. The expedition was fantastic but I still wish I had been on the mountain bike group

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Skyline trail 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Peaslake stores

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigyinn

Bit irresponsible being that isolated and not wearing a helmet there TJ

can you see the big dangerous drops and gnarly rock gardens 🙂

momentum – Member

Love scotland but don’t really think anywhere there is remote compared to bits of the real north of Europe. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Finnish Lapland.

Indeed – hence the “almost” Northern Finland is the most remote bit of Europe. 50 km from a road tho – are you sure? Depends what you call a road of course. I have ridden (motorbike) thru Lapland and a place I’d love to go back to. I remember seeing a road sign to Murmansk and really wanting to drive that road

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just out of the picture tj?? :mrgreen:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Off piste at Cannock chase. 8)

Check me the f*k out. 😀

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Probably the South Coast track in Tasmania (not on bike though).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How remote have you been?’ is closed to new replies.