Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How reliable are BikeTart ?
  • dyna-ti

They’re selling Hope tech 4 master cylinders complete(£105) I’ve a new pair of V4’s and given they seem to be plugging them as more Ebike orientated, I reckon tech 4 levers and V4 calipers on my Ebike would be better that using the Tech 3 levers I was intending to use.

Only thing is I’ve not seen anyone else selling just the master cylinders singly. Everywhere else is selling the complete brake, and I just want the levers.

Anyone think this is ok, or is it maybe an older sale, you know how many sites dont update their stock. So I dont want to buy them only to get an email saying ‘Sorry, on back-order – will contract when in’ as well as taking my cash.

weeksy

Very. Well in the 10+ orders I’ve had over the last few years

Robz
    Free Member

They’ve always been absolutely fine when I’ve used them in the past. They’re on eBay too and are usually pretty quick.

Why don’t you give them a phone tomorrow to see if the part is in stock if you’re unsure.

malv173
    Free Member

Another very from me. I always look to see if what I’m after is in stock with them.

But I agree that getting in touch would be a good idea.

yiman
    Free Member

Had a Hope V4 calliper off them recently – fast delivery and no problems at all.

butcher

Been good the few times I’ve used them. Recommended.

tenfoot

Yep, been good for me too.

dirkpitt74

Really good to deal with – no issues.

ctk
    Free Member

A yes from me aswell. Bought from them twice with no probs.

chiefgrooveguru

I wouldn’t use Tech 4 levers unless you’ve got the new stainless steel pistons in the V4 calipers. The increased hydraulic and mechanical advantage means less fluid is being moved (at higher pressure) and the phenolic pistons don’t cope so well with that unless you lube them very regularly.

igm

They used to send a free sticker too.

dyna-ti

I wouldn’t use Tech 4 levers unless you’ve got the new stainless steel pistons in the V4 calipers. The increased hydraulic and mechanical advantage means less fluid is being moved (at higher pressure) and the phenolic pistons don’t cope so well with that unless you lube them very regularly.

The tech 4 V4 caliper doesn’t look that radically different. I can confirm this as the piston seals in both the tech 3 V4 and tech 4 V4 are identical. So the only difference is one has a SS jacket on it, which i would think is more down to corrosion resistance than anything else.

Were the piston larger, the seal would be a different one, and the same would apply were it slightly smaller. But because its the same seal, this leads me to believe the piston diameter is the same as the previous V4(or X2 or whatever)

So it should just be a matter of swapping over the old pistons design for the new jacketed ones.

Just checked and the tech 3 V2 small piston is 16mm in diameter. The new tech 4 V4 small piston is also 16mm. Not found the sizes of the large piston, but probably the same. Kind of confirms that a simple swop might just be as easy as that.

jackal
    Free Member

Technicalities of the brakes aside, yes biketart are good.
    Had a bike off them last year, best customer service I’ve experienced for a long time when ordering mail order, even with a fault that wasn’t their doing.

dyna-ti

Well plenty of recommendations there. But as with Robz post, a phone call to them tomorrow will confirm, and I can order them at the same time.

” Just checked and the tech 3 V2 small piston is 16mm in diameter. The new tech 4 V4 small piston is also 16mm. Not found the sizes of the large piston, but probably the same. Kind of confirms that a simple swop might just be as easy as that.”

EDIT: I mean the small V4 piston, not the V2.

jkomo

They fine.
    No idea about your Hope thing.

kerley
    Free Member

Used for the first time ever last week and item arrived next day so 100% so far…

binman

Great service for me too, wouldn’t hesitate to use them. Really helpful so email / ring first.

qwerty
    Free Member

Very.

thepurist

Nothing but good news here either – I’m using them, Sigma and R2 more than Chiggle/Merlin these days.

bobodaclown

Always good, friendly service, fast shipping, ok prices.

haggis1978

I think what the Chief is trying to tell you is that at a higher pressure they will experience a higher temperature as well. There’s a definite reason why Hope changed the spec, and had to spend money in doing so, to make the caliper work with the new lever.

zerocool

Never had a problem with them.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Yep, been fine for me too.

(Bike Tart that is, not Hope brakes.)

chiefgrooveguru

“So the only difference is one has a SS jacket on it, which i would think is more down to corrosion resistance than anything else.”

There’s a podcast somewhere about the new Hope brakes where they explain that the new levers need the stainless steel pistons to work because the lever doesn’t move enough brake fluid to compensate for the phenolic pistons’ tendency to stick.

I think it’s this one: https://www.hopetech.com/news/tech-4-brakes-ep122-blister-review-podcast/

squirrelking
    Free Member

So what you’re saying really is that the Tech 4 master cylinder doesn’t have the same ratio?

I’m far from an expert here but I do know the master cylinder specs haven’t changed since the Mini lever, seems a bit odd to do that now and not change the caliper as well. Funnily enough those levers were designed around stainless pistons and the phenolics were added about a year or so after the Mono line went into production.

Actually, that’s a point. Surely if they were higher pressure they would overcome stiction easier? All things being equal, the pressure seat is exactly the same as is the pad travel so that doesn’t add up.

davosaurusrex

Always found Biketart good up until I saw they had Minion DHR DD 2.6 in stock for £40, They are like rocking horse poop at the mo at full price. Was in the area so phoned ahead, guy checked the stock and found they didn’t actually have a single DHR in stock, so yeah, call them.

dyna-ti

Im going to buzz Hope for some facts. 1. can i use the new tech 4 lever with the previous tech 3 V4’s, and 2. if not can i just swop out the pistons to the new pistons. I really dont want yet another pair of Hope brakes.

I dont mind spending the 50 or so quid it will cost to replace all the pistons, just so long as i dont need to buy new V4’s.

See, I initially bought a bikes worth of tech3 X2, but before I could fit them I bought the Ebike, then thought maybe more power on the front would be better, so bought an E4 caliper. After looking around I thought maybe the new 2.3mm heavy duty rotors would be better suited, so with those in mind I bought a pair of V4 calipers.

Then during a warrant issue with an age old V2 caliper Hope couldn’t supply the seals for, they sent me a new pair of V2 calipers free gratis.

So Im sitting with the new pair of X2’s on tech 3 levers, a new E4 caliper, a pair of new V2’s and a pair of new tech3 V4 calipers. I can use all of those with tech 3 levers, but if the tech 4 stuff is better suited to an ebike, those levers would be better to have.

So I don’t want to shell out on another set of V4’s calipers as well.

Yes, I know I have a problem 😆

coynie09
    Free Member

There great had few things of them in last few years in fact got a Bell helmet other month they where the cheapest around.I just messaged them to make sure it was the MIPS version at the price and fast delivery (2days)…

chiefgrooveguru

“I can use all of those with tech 3 levers, but if the tech 4 stuff is better suited to an ebike, those levers would be better to have.”

Unless you’re running tiny discs I can’t see you being short of power with Tech 3 V4 on an ebike – that’s what I’ve had on my Levo for almost four years.

“So what you’re saying really is that the Tech 4 master cylinder doesn’t have the same ratio?”

They claim the new levers are 30% more powerful – and the podcast explains how that’s achieved and how that required a piston change to work with the calipers.

dyna-ti

Unless you’re running tiny discs I can’t see you being short of power with Tech 3 V4 on an ebike – that’s what I’ve had on my Levo for almost four years.

Well I’ve not actually fitted any yet, and from the reviews ive read im sure the V4 on tech three would be fine. I suppose i just fancy buying the tech 4 levers and it would be nice if they paired to the tech3 V4’s off the bat.

They claim the new levers are 30% more powerful

Hope have said that about every brake they’ve ever released 😆 😆 each release theres always a “increased power by 15-30%”

From the C2’s, which were a pretty strong brake to now, power must add up to 300% stronger 😆

dyna-ti

Just off the phone to Hope technical department concerning an inquiry over can i use Tech 4 levers with my Tech 3 V4 calipers – as stated in the above posts.

Answer – yes I can.

In fact, according to hope, you can pair the tech 4 levers to any of the previous tech 3 calipers, be that X2,E4,V2 or V4, and you dont need to specifically have the latest stainless steel jacketed pistons.

PLUS. Should you feel the need to refit your older (tech 3) caliper with the new Tech 4 SS pistons you can, they are the exact same sizes.

So I think that clears that one up once and for all, and if anyone else wants to fit the new levers to their existing brakes, thats not going to cause any issues.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Now I remember, the guy from Hope told me exactly that at FW.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.