Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • How on earth do people cope financially in the UK?
  • wwaswas

you have to think about pensions to – the State pension is going to be worthless in a few years time.

binners

Not jjust state pensions. Private pensions will be virtually worthless too. I firmly believe that by the time I reach ‘retirement’ age, the whole thing will be viewed as some quaint 20th century anachronism

We’ll be working til we drop, or possibly allowed a couple of years of subsistence level existence before being recycled

samuri
    Free Member

Some day, a fine researcher will discover me and write a book.

I’ll probably get a footnote then because it was definitely my idea to ride offroad on bigger wheels. Gary Fisher thinks he invented that in about 1998!

footflaps

Chase on the doorstep – I can do a lap of the dog in less than an hour riding from my front door

I assume this is on a 200mm DH bike in full body armour mode, for a lap of Follow the Dog….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just had a quick look on ac and co –

7 x 2 bed rentals in aberdeen city

5 under offer

4 of them city centre with insane council tax and no parking – popular with students for obvious reason.

2 in areas you wouldnt want to live – starting at 725 up to 950 – the 950 one is a decent area withdecent parking and a decent council tax.

You could rent out a tv box up here at the moment im sure of it.

SD-253
    Free Member

Prawny “No Waitrose? Still a shithole then”

Is it that good? Or just selling Tesco goods but with extortionate prices? As I conned Lewis’s into giving me a £25 gift voucher I will have to find out as have no idea where there is a Lewis’s.

LHS
    Free Member

To live well in London you ideally need a household income of over £100k a year, ideally closer to the £200k.

To live well in the rest of the UK you need about £20 a week, a Lidl within walking distance from your house and a whippet.

LHS
    Free Member

“No Waitrose? Still a shithole then”

Waitrose is repackaged Sainsburys own brand food (i.e, crap). I won’t live anywhere unless there is a Wholefoods on my doorstep.

tinman66
    Free Member

What’s the deal with everyone thinking teachers don’t earn good money. Most are well over the national average and only work six months of the year.

Oh don’t live in South East England.

globalti
    Free Member

Lightweights. You need Booths, a proper family supermarket, Ribble Valley and Lancashire only.

jamiea
    Free Member

You need Booths, a proper family supermarket,

Aye, Booths is the best part of a week in the Lakes!

Cheers,
    Jamie

prawny

@Footflaps – I wish I had the skills to get round the Dog with such a basic bike. I normall go on one of these

ebygomm
    Free Member

You need Booths, a proper family supermarket

Free listeria too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

RUBBISH Mummy and Daddy are supporting them. My daughter had 2 jobs going while at Nottingham University. She wasn’t getting any support from me and would doubt from her mother

no, I was refering to me and everyone on my course, none of us had time for a job appart from over the sumer, and that usualy funded travel/bikes/one off items.

dunno if your daughter has expensive tastes or what, but IME jobs are atypical.

ell_tell
    Free Member

+1, although I’d go further and point out the vast majority of students get by on about £4,500/p.a. loans and don’t top it up with a job.

They also don’t pay council tax, which saves about £1,500 a year. Assuming you can rent a shared student flat for 30% less than a standard one, you’ve also saved another couple of thousand a year.

I bet they have similar disposable income to someone on a minimum wage job, living in a small studio flat.

Sounds backwards but I think I was actually better off as a student than I am working full time now… 😕

gazc
    Free Member

How on earth do people cope financially in the UK?

i think you need to re-phrase that to How on earth do people cope financially in the UK LONDON? as it seems that it’s perfectly fine elsewhere (assuming you live within your means of course – but then again not everyone does that!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

“What’s the deal with everyone thinking teachers don’t earn good money. Most are well over the national average and only work six months of the year.”

trolltastical

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sounds backwards but I think I was actually better off as a student than I am working full time now

I thought that for a while, then realised the difference was paying for stuff like non stained carpets, a kitchen not from the 90’s, and a good financial month not being “I can afford a new chain”.

As i said, it’s just down to expectations. As a student you don’t expect a lot of stuff that middle class STW/the OP expects, and therefore 100’s of thousands of 18-22 year olds get by every year on a net income comparable to the minimum wage.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Avoid London mainly.

anagallis_arvensis

What’s the deal with everyone thinking teachers don’t earn good money. Most are well over the national average and only work six months of the year.

what is the national average?

IanW
    Free Member

The teachers car park at my kids school is a mix of Audi TT’s from those who have buried their hubby’s and push bikes from those who never had one.

Don’t imagine any are going hungry though.

Life in the UK is still what it was described to me as a youngster as ” winning the lottery” although it was it was actually winning the pools then. Either way it doesn’t get much better than here.

sleepless
    Free Member

we rode the property boom wave got rid of the mortgage anchor,and beached ourselves a dream house in the Lakes- which I am told is nearly as bad as London for house prices. Not that I wish to go there again.

Invest wisely and spend even wiser my friend.

chewkw
    Free Member

To OP,

I think you need to earn min £26K per year per person just to survive in London. Assuming you are renting first …

😯

Mugboo

Work in Leeds but live in Bradford.

NHS is great (not perfect but great),cheap goods compared with Europe.

You do not need Sky, an expensive car or 5 bedrooms with en suite 🙂

Welcome back…

WildHunter2009

The SE isnt all that bad…. Admittedly this is about 2 years ago as i’m now living in oz. 20 to 25k a year job living in Reading, Rent plus bills was about 450 ish a month in a pretty nice sharehouse in a pretty nice bit of town. Ran about 2 bikes, well 1 singlespeed and 1 indestructable dawes touring bike and averaged at least 2 foreign hols a year plus out on the beers every fri and most saturdays.

I didnt always save much more than a few hundred quid or so a month but it was pretty damned fun and really not that hard.

I think its about expectations, my car was a clapped out corsa which cost me 450 quid and i mostly cycled to work or used the company vans when on site.

jools182
    Free Member

In answer to the op’s question, just about

Hand to mouth, no savings or any hope of any, help from one of the parents

Tbh it’s shameful at my age and it’s getting me down

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tell me about it brohan.

I’m a stoodent tho’.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘How on earth do people cope financially in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.