Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • How old when you pay off your mortgage?
  • xcracer1
    Free Member

I’m just moving to another house and was wondering how old you’ll be when you pay off your mortgage?

I will have 13 years left on my mortgage, so will be 56 when its paid off!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no mortgage here, no house either do I win something?

zippykona

I was 49. Took in a lot of cash to pay it off and the lady gave me 1p change.
    We had it framed!

onandon
    Free Member

41 now, it was paid off two years ago.

Onzadog
    Free Member

At the moment, I’m not sure what comes first, mortgage clearance or retirement.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

42 now, 4 years to go. Managed to pay a whack at redundancy 3 years ago, and also overpaying too.

Canny wait.

mikewsmith – Member
    no mortgage here, no house either do I win something?

Yep, you get to pay rent all your days. Win!. 😥

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m 66…

Sold it on, cash-bought a casa in Espana on part of the proceeds. Sitting relatively pretty.

Cupola vino roja? Gracias.

colournoise

Don’t even really want to contemplate this… 67… 47 now…

weeksy

Dead. My life insurance will pay it off.

breadcrumb

33. Now 37. Then we got a bigger house so it’ll be 65 🙁

A few over payments have been made so we would knock a few years off it hopefully.

zanelad
    Free Member

54. Having said that it was only £350 a month so not a huge amount. Still, better in my pocket than the building society’s.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Paid mine off at mid 30s with redundancy money then 5 years later moved and took on the biggest mortgage I have had.
    Hopefully pay this one off at 55, 6 years to go…..

DT78
    Free Member

Just bought a bigger place. 67 now. Was virtually paid off in the first place. Hopefully be able to start overpayments when not paying a second mortgage in nursery fees

sockpuppet

Due to be 64 if we don’t overpay.

That said I’ll be extremely disappointed if it’s anywhere near that in reality.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Projected to be 43

That will stretch out once the current overpayments slow down – kids -maternity leave, interest rate rises etc

km79
    Free Member

Late twenties for me. Was only a little mortgage on a pretty inexpensive flat though so wasn’t much to pay off. In process just now of deciding whether or not to stay here and retire in my mid forties or retire in my fifties and move somewhere more expensive. Good choice to have so not complaining.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Currently due to finish late 40’s, but chipping away at it with overpayments so hope to have it completed sooner.

Murray

Paid off before I was 40. 2 moves later, I’ll be 65.

stevie750

67, I’m 46 now.

nickjb
    Free Member

Didn’t start mine until I was nearly 40 so I’ll be fairly old. Could pay most of it off if I really wanted but the money is being better spent at the moment on coke and hookers investing as the returns are better than the mortgage interest plus a few lifestyle choices

shinton
    Free Member

Went from being mortgage free at 50+ to getting a pretty substantial mortgage when we moved 5 years ago. Will pay the mortgage off by downsizing when the time is right.

siwhite
    Free Member

Could pay most of it off if I really wanted but the money is being better spent at the moment on coke and hookers investing as the returns are better than the mortgage interest plus a few lifestyle choices

This. We have about half the amount of our mortgage in a managed portfolio, which returned 8% last year compared to a couple of % mortgage rate. We are going to remortgage next week before rates rise, and will likely elect for a shorter repayment period than our current 20 year mortgage.

In answer to the OPs question, I’ll be 60.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I paid mine off at 49 or 50.In truth I could have paid it off earlier if I had sold my shares,so I think the pressure was off a couple of years prior to that.
    Unfortunately,I didn’t like where I lived & to move to where I now live meant more money.I ended up buying a ‘fixer upper’ so I didn’t need to get a mortgage again,but it’s been hard work..

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Paid first mortgage off at 31 then decided to move house, paid that off at 41, then borrowed more for extension, in the process of selling up and mortgage free again forever at 54.
    Now buying a property much cheaper so trousered a few quid to fund a life of debauchery.

davosaurusrex

43 here, due to be paid off at 60. Figure that will give me at least 5 years to whack some more funds into the pension. Would like to make some overpayments and take a few years off it but these kids don’t seem to be getting any cheaper to run!

Caher

not bought a house since returning to the UK – now 50. Lucky to have a decent deposit.

squealer
    Free Member

Got lucky with a good job and paid mine off at 28. No plans to get another.

miketually
    Free Member

Assuming we don’t make any changes or overpay, we’ve got 15 years left so will be 55. It’s less than £500 a month though.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

43 and a couple of years to go. Mrs was up for moving 18 months ago, same sort of house just a nicer area very close to the tube station. Would of been a total renovation job, with most of the work done by muggings (been there and done that)
    But the idea of being mortgage free, slowed her down 😀
    Roll on to being Over biked, still untalented and mortgage free 😀

robgclarkson
    Free Member

41 now, i’ll 57 when done… maybe less, who knows… over paying certainly helps, we’ve taken 4 years off ours so far…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Now, just the divorcees / newly separated?

MoreCashThanDash

Paid off at 45, now 48. We only had a small mortgage after moving up from Sussex to enable MrsMC to stop working when the kids came along, then we overpaid the mortgage with her salary when she started back again.

We were lucky to have been able to take jobs and chances when we did this.

ski
    Free Member

Paid my first off at 36, then moved, downgraded my job to something less stressful, 2nd one should be clear at 50, in the next couple of years.

Then planing to cash in, rent and travel more

njee20
    Free Member

65. I’m 31. Meh.

whitestone
    Free Member

Paid it off about nine years ago so would have been 49 or so.

nealglover
    Free Member

We’ve just bought our “forever” house (probably forever anyway)

And paid off our mortgage at the same time. I’m 44 and OH is 39.

Feels great being mortgage free I have to say.

stumpy01

59 assuming we don’t start overpaying again.

If we end up in a position where we can overpay, I think I am likely to put that money onto my pension instead.
    Not that knowledgeable finance-wise but with low interest rates at the moment, I think the returns on a pension should out-strip the savings made by paying the mortgage off early.

Although saying that, it would be nice to clear the mortgage off as soon as possible!

oldtalent
    Free Member

47. I only had a 5 year mortgage and paid it off after 3 years, I couldnt pay it off any quicker due to penalties.
    Actually this hasnt happened yet, its 4 months away. Looking forward to it.
    Will probably buy a santa cruz nomad to celebrate.

dovebiker

50, I’m 52 now and next move will be to cash-in and downsize / move somewhere cheaper. Have tried to convince the wife that we could go travelling in our camper and rent the house out which would give us a good income – she’s not convinced.

lazybike
    Free Member

56… finished paying it last year, total anti climax 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘How old when you pay off your mortgage?’ is closed to new replies.